It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:56 pm 

My uncle shared pics from his game cam recently. This game cam is set up not too far from his house on the farm.
He hasn't had a run in with this beauty yet, but it can be a problem down the line if they decide to keep chickens or goats...
I've dealt with leopard before. Lost a few calves, goats and dogs and soiled at least 2 pairs of undies hahaha
So something to think about before you plan to run with just a .22 rifle for SHTF ;) I've seen monster mountain lion reports all over the US. Then of course bear, wolves (def not an issue in my AO!) and the most dangerous predator...man.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 pm 

Dangerous, to be sure, but so beautiful. Plus, my little house cat thinks he is one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:45 pm 

I saw cougar tracks for several years. I got nervous and stopped walking for a few years until I bought a few guns. I started camping with a single shot 20 ga. Then camping one night the cougar woke me up and I was rather nervous.

That was a rough night. It just growled in the dark and I did not sleep a wink. Built the fire up real big instead.

So after that I started carrying a .38 revolver. You know, because that is SO much more security. But all that was in my old state.

My new state has some meth heads. Hunting buddies have found cooking on their land.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:25 am 

ancient_serpent wrote:
Dangerous, to be sure, but so beautiful. Plus, my little house cat thinks he is one of those.
Yup...some house cats think they are full size hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:30 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Dang... Cats are the ultimate hunters. It's a good thing they aren't terribly common or us measly humans would be screwed...

Awesome pictures. Now I'm scared haha

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 am 

woodsghost wrote:
I saw cougar tracks for several years. I got nervous and stopped walking for a few years until I bought a few guns. I started camping with a single shot 20 ga. Then camping one night the cougar woke me up and I was rather nervous.

That was a rough night. It just growled in the dark and I did not sleep a wink. Built the fire up real big instead.

So after that I started carrying a .38 revolver. You know, because that is SO much more security. But all that was in my old state.

My new state has some meth heads. Hunting buddies have found cooking on their land.
Oh I'm more afraid of the damn meth heads than any other animal. Less predictable!
I had my first run in with leopard when I was 9. We didn't know any were in our area at that time. I took a cousin out hunting one evening. We were on the far side of the farm (7000 acres) and didn't feel like driving back in the dark, so we slept on the back of the pickup.
At some point that night (no moon) I woke up and smelled something awful. Also noticed that there wasn't a single noise. Completely still. No wind that night. Anyways, after a few moments the truck started rocking. I had no idea what it was but was scared enough to where I froze and didn't make a sound. Cousin was a city kid and didn't wake up, thank God! After a few minutes the pickup stopped rocking. I didn't move till sunrise hahaha. Got up, checked for tracks and found 2 sets of what I thought were very large dog tracks. Also found tufts of yellow and black fur on the bumpers.
Old black foreman came to check on US and lost his shit when he saw the tracks. Told me they were cat, not dog...well, only one cat still roaming the wild in S. Africa that has tracks that large. We started losing animals after that and didn't go outside at night again. Scared me spitless!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:34 am 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Dang... Cats are the ultimate hunters. It's a good thing they aren't terribly common or us measly humans would be screwed...

Hahaha they are definitely to be respected! Think if chickens were 6' tall...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Quote:
My uncle shared pics from his game cam recently.

Wow, in the 6 years it took to process those photos that cat could be anywhere. I know few people that would carry just a .22 LR for extreme situations but those that do probably have other skill sets to rely on, such as the old "tie stuffed animal to a string and attach it to a stick" game.

Still others use their own trained animals to protects them from the wilder things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:29 am 

delarey wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Terror birds

John Titor was right

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 am 

Asymetryczna wrote:
Quote:
My uncle shared pics from his game cam recently.

Wow, in the 6 years it took to process those photos that cat could be anywhere. I know few people that would carry just a .22 LR for extreme situations but those that do probably have other skill sets to rely on, such as the old "tie stuffed animal to a string and attach it to a stick" game.

Still others use their own trained animals to protects them from the wilder things.

Hehe I just noticed the timestamp on the pics. I suspect that he probably hasn't set the game cam up properly. Those pics are from 2 weeks ago.
Yeah, I'd try to stay away from the stuffed tou method...hell, I wouldn't even try that with my barn cats! Haha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:53 am 

flybynight wrote:
delarey wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Terror birds

EhhhhhhImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I would love to have cats like the pictures on my property. I have a family of bobcat as well a black bear that has a den on my property but nothing like the leopard. I am envious.

I hope It is still around today, 6 years later. They are magnificent predators. I would not begrudge a few chickens. In fact there are 2 asshole roosters I own that I be happy to see it dine upon.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 am 

raptor wrote:
I would love to have cats like the pictures on my property. I have a family of bobcat as well a black bear that has a den on my property but nothing like the leopard. I am envious.

I hope It is still around today, 6 years later. They are magnificent predators. I would not begrudge a few chickens. In fact there are 2 asshole roosters I own that I be happy to see it dine upon.
They are magnificent, but also extremely dangerous to humans...especially at night.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

delarey wrote:
They are magnificent, but also extremely dangerous to humans...especially at night.

I understand that completely. They are an apex predator, skilled in ambush attacks and humans are tasty albeit a bit crunchy. Still they to me, they are magnificent.

These are old photos but this is typical with what I get on my cameras.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:38 pm 

Coyotes, rattlers, wild dogs.

Haven't heard of any big cats wandering around anywhere.

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 pm 

CG wrote:

'bout the same in my old stomping grounds (Abilene), except hogs (which'll get kinda aggressive if startled), and during the big drought a couple decades back it pushed cougars as far as Lake Fort Phantom. They were getting pretty bold, coming right up to houses for yard animals and such.

It's one of the reasons I kinda want a PCC; in all probability a pistol and .22 rifle would do fine, but swapping the .22 for something heavier would be nice as an option.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 pm 

boskone wrote:
CG wrote:

'bout the same in my old stomping grounds (Abilene), except hogs (which'll get kinda aggressive if startled), and during the big drought a couple decades back it pushed cougars as far as Lake Fort Phantom. They were getting pretty bold, coming right up to houses for yard animals and such.

It's one of the reasons I kinda want a PCC; in all probability a pistol and .22 rifle would do fine, but swapping the .22 for something heavier would be nice as an option.

That would make sense since I'm about 2 hours away from there. Never heard about hogs or cougars around here, but I know they were talking about coyotes figuring out how to use dumpsters to jump fences to get pets and getting stuck in people's backyards when they first built some of the subdivisions out here.

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:31 pm 

Here in central Texas, the biggest problem is the "methican American" tribe. Still a few big cats but they're more likely to run when approached. Javalina and wild boar can ruin your day in a hurry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 pm 

Pretty nasty, I seem to recall a history channel special that said the Terror birds were all wiped out when the sabertooth cats eventually made their way that far south.

flybynight wrote:
delarey wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Terror birds

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 am 

The problem with wildlife concerns here is that there are occasionally things that just "shouldn't" be here. Once a year or so we get a reliable cougar sighting. A few years back a bowhunter shot a wolf that he thought was an enormous coyote. Speculation is that it wandered down from the Great Lakes. There's also the animal sanctuary not far from here that houses some big cats and probably a few other large predators.

So, there are rare, realistic and credible threats but few folks consider them in their daily routines. Sort of like an attack on the Hawaiian Islands.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am 

The whole predator vs livestock thing is quite a messy debate over here... Wolves are the biggest problem, bear next, then lynx and wolverine. Luckily they are not a real danger for humans. I once met an 70 year old lady that routinely would have to chase wolves, bears and occasinally a lynx or wolvarine from her trash bins with a broom...

If you keep livestock as a hobby or for your own use in an area with predators you should expect problems, but there is a lot you can do avoid loosing animals. Choosing the right breed will do a lot, proper fencing will help too. If you have sheep you can for example keep a llama with them, not many predators will mess with a llama, and the llama will actively protect its flock.

Predators is a challenge, but there are solutions for everything.

Sent fra min SM-T719 via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 am 

The Twizzler wrote:
Pretty nasty, I seem to recall a history channel special that said the Terror birds were all wiped out when the sabertooth cats eventually made their way that far south.

flybynight wrote:
delarey wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Terror birds

Yea I saw a show that said as solitary hunters they couldn't survive pack hunters like wolves.

John Titor was right

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:12 pm 

That looks very healthy, probably not much competition in that area.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 pm 

colmer wrote:
That looks very healthy, probably not much competition in that area.
Nope...they are top of the food chain on land...once you step in the water, things change hahaha