How high is practical for hose irrigation with 330 gallon IB

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

How high is practical for hose irrigation with 330 gallon IB

Post by Zimmy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 pm

I have acquired a few 330 gallon IBC totes. I am breaking in a new garden plot, line of young fruit trees, and livestock pen that I want to provide water to. My closest hose bib is across a fairly busy dirt road and I neither want to expose the hose to road traffic nor drag 150’ of hose back and forth daily.

None of these distances are over 50’ from where I want to put my tiny water tower. How high do you recommend I place it? I know someone here has been through a similar challenge. Ground level totes have crappy flow when not full. I can build a structure of any practical height.

What do y’all think?
Boldly going nowhere

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: How high is practical for hose irrigation with 330 gallo

Post by raptor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Just elevating a tote tank will not increase the water flow unless you pipe it properly to allow a decent size column of water. In general 2 feet of height as as about 1 psi. So a 12 ft high tower will get 6 psi. A faucet pressure varies a lot by location and demand but typically 30 to 50 psi.

Honestly the simpler solution IMO is a garden irrigation pump in 120 volt if possible. Find a used pool pump and pipe into a fill station.
There are a lot of 12 volt and engine powered pumps also.

I use a 1 hp pool pump to move water between ponds and for irrigation.
Last edited by raptor on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 pm

I don't think I'm understanding the set up you're describing. You have water tanks you want to elevate to provide a flow of water to garden and livestock, that is on the other side of a road from the water outlet. Because you don't want to run the hose across the road.
How do you plan to fill the tanks?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 pm

flybynight wrote:I don't think I'm understanding the set up you're describing. You have water tanks you want to elevate to provide a flow of water to garden and livestock, that is on the other side of a road from the water outlet. Because you don't want to run the hose across the road.
How do you plan to fill the tanks?
I plan to fill the tanks by dragging hose across the road as needed to refill as needed. That’s the purpose of the tanks, to avoid daily dragging of the hose about 150’ until I can trench in water and possibly power.
Boldly going nowhere

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:26 pm

The hose across the fairly busy road would be more concerning to me. In stead of a tower , what about putting the tanks on a trailer and move back and forth to use or fill as needed?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am

Question: wouldn't it be easier to dig the trench anyway?

what I'm reading is you want to build a tower to hold many gallons of water, and fill them from a hose. supporting the water is one thing, the safety issue of dealing with a 150 foot hose while climbing the tower.

this might be a case of do it properly the first time.
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Is this kinda what you want to do?
https://laptopandarifle.com/category/land/garden/

This is the pump I was thinking about.
https://www.ruralking.com/pump-transfer-ci-1-2-hp.html

This is a slower 12 volt version.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Just a question, if you are going to do the trench anyways. Why save the time an hassle and do that to start. It sucks digging but it seems like the best option over all dragging a hose and having it spend most likely hours filling up the IBC totes every couple days doesn't sound fun. As Raptor pointed out you'd have to have them up REALLY high to get the PSI naturally. I think someone else pointed out putting htem on a trailer, I think this is your best bet in the mean time. Attach one to a trailer have a couple deepcell batteries in a case (protect from weather), and haul it back and forth. You can fill it up every day when done, have a battery charger nearby and you'll have a full tank and full batteries. The 12volt system can push the water pretty quickly (not as good as a 120v), plus you have the added bonus of a cart with 350gal of water that you can move around and use as a mobile fire truck if need be.

If you cant do that and need to build the tanks over there, then I'd build a platform off the ground a couple feet, have the battery/pump in a cart you can move back and forth, and just connect the pump to the tanks, connect your hose and done.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Build a bridge over the road.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:39 pm

ImageImage

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm

taipan821 wrote:Question: wouldn't it be easier to dig the trench anyway?

what I'm reading is you want to build a tower to hold many gallons of water, and fill them from a hose. supporting the water is one thing, the safety issue of dealing with a 150 foot hose while climbing the tower.

this might be a case of do it properly the first time.

Don’t worry, I’ll plumb the tower with a low bib and freeze drain.

Trenching the road could be disastrous in the winter as our soil is clay and responds much better in the dry season.

And of course, building a 15’-20’ tower just sounds cool. Since I started programming I don’t get to build things anymore. I miss having concrete evidence of my labor.
Boldly going nowhere

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Halfapint wrote:Just a question, if you are going to do the trench anyways. Why save the time an hassle and do that to start. It sucks digging but it seems like the best option over all dragging a hose and having it spend most likely hours filling up the IBC totes every couple days doesn't sound fun. As Raptor pointed out you'd have to have them up REALLY high to get the PSI naturally. I think someone else pointed out putting htem on a trailer, I think this is your best bet in the mean time. Attach one to a trailer have a couple deepcell batteries in a case (protect from weather), and haul it back and forth. You can fill it up every day when done, have a battery charger nearby and you'll have a full tank and full batteries. The 12volt system can push the water pretty quickly (not as good as a 120v), plus you have the added bonus of a cart with 350gal of water that you can move around and use as a mobile fire truck if need be.

If you cant do that and need to build the tanks over there, then I'd build a platform off the ground a couple feet, have the battery/pump in a cart you can move back and forth, and just connect the pump to the tanks, connect your hose and done.
Very good solution with added bonus usage. Thanks.
Boldly going nowhere

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Zimmy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:Just a question, if you are going to do the trench anyways. Why save the time an hassle and do that to start. It sucks digging but it seems like the best option over all dragging a hose and having it spend most likely hours filling up the IBC totes every couple days doesn't sound fun. As Raptor pointed out you'd have to have them up REALLY high to get the PSI naturally. I think someone else pointed out putting htem on a trailer, I think this is your best bet in the mean time. Attach one to a trailer have a couple deepcell batteries in a case (protect from weather), and haul it back and forth. You can fill it up every day when done, have a battery charger nearby and you'll have a full tank and full batteries. The 12volt system can push the water pretty quickly (not as good as a 120v), plus you have the added bonus of a cart with 350gal of water that you can move around and use as a mobile fire truck if need be.

Very good solution with added bonus usage. Thanks.
Glad I could help, I plan on having one for "emergency" use on my property. Something probably hombrewed with big wheels on it (for rough terrain) incase of fire I can get it down there and if nothing else wet the surrounding area to mitigate damage until the pros get there. Bonus if it's potable if something happens to a neighbor or something you could hook it up and they could have a redneck running water. Or even if you're out in a field doing work, you can drink from it, wash your hands with it, various other useful things.

It's almost as though we need water to survive. :lol:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”