It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:41 am 

This seems to be the best place to place this since they gotta get all self-sufficient in a hurry. Sort of like the Colony only minus the marauders I'd say.

I'll watch it on Hulu, see what it's about. I'm sure there will be all sorts of silly drama to obtain viewers but there also might be something interesting here and there.

Thoughts?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Off the cuff:
1. Only 3 acres to feed and house 15 people, with more to be added, but they have no food to start? Ummmmmkay.
2. I wonder how much the 24/7 streams will cost to access? They did a fine job of showing that "I don't believe in monogamy" girl in a bikini multiple times.
3. Blew the budget? I guess they get a weekly allotment to buy goods?
4. 52 weeks is a long, long time for television, especially if it flops.
5. The incentive it would take for me to leave my family for a year is HUGE. My guess is that the population they chose from is not representative of "normal" life, no matter what that commercial tried to show.

I will DVR it, and give it a chance. I truly hope that it shows human nature, but I am not holding my breath.

"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:52 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Let me know when they begin to eat one another. Then I might, might consider watching. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:28 pm 

One can actually grow a crap ton of food on three acres.

Growing Power does that and produce something like six to eight tons a year or something ridiculous like that a year. As for 15 people in that amount of space? The average subdivision tends to have more people in smaller areas. This really comes down to space management and what you truly need to survive and thrive.

At least that's my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:08 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Will Allen is actually one of my personal heroes.

That being said, he has more than 15 people helping him with his set-up and there are decades of combined food production knowledge behind his operation (which includes multiple farms outside Milwaukee). While I won't discount the possibility, what is the probability that a person with this type of knowledge was "randomly" selected to participate on the show? It would remind me of the first season of The Colony, where genuine experts were brought in as "reality". That is too cheesy, even for Fox.

You also have to remember, it is 90+ days, typically, to any calorie dense garden foods. With no food to start, they are all dead on 3 acres before their first crop comes in, if given no outside help. That doesn;t make for interesting TV. :)

I expect this to be fluff, but secretly hope that it is not. A network show that expands upon sustainable systems could be revolutionary, which is exactly the reason I don't think it will be.

"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:18 pm 

Murphman wrote:
Off the cuff:
1. Only 3 acres to feed and house 15 people, with more to be added, but they have no food to start? Ummmmmkay.
2. I wonder how much the 24/7 streams will cost to access? They did a fine job of showing that "I don't believe in monogamy" girl in a bikini multiple times.
3. Blew the budget? I guess they get a weekly allotment to buy goods?
4. 52 weeks is a long, long time for television, especially if it flops.
5. The incentive it would take for me to leave my family for a year is HUGE. My guess is that the population they chose from is not representative of "normal" life, no matter what that commercial tried to show.

I will DVR it, and give it a chance. I truly hope that it shows human nature, but I am not holding my breath.

I didn't think bikini girl was all that hot! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 pm 

The ad says "over 3 acres" as if it is some large tract of land. I'm sure it's enough to build a small community on if they can get along (which, of course, they won't because the producers want drama and that's the point - not the actual experiment of what can be done in such a situation on 3 acres of land, which I am sure is what most of us would really be interested in), but I wonder if all that varied scenery including a quiet lake and waterfalls are a part of that 3 acres. I wonder what was done to the land to prepare it for the show.

Seriously, I do not want to get my hopes up about this show. "Reality" TV has been on long enough for us to know that this is not going to be anything close to real. It's a set, and lies, and forced drama. And that is why, for those of us who are interested in the reality of it, it will suck.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:59 pm 

Murphman wrote:
It would remind me of the first season of The Colony, where genuine experts were brought in as "reality".

My first thought is this looks like pretty much the same BS as the Colony where they stack the cast with experts and drama sources. The whole pitch of "only what they decide to do" forgets the set up of the show picking the right people to create drama. A girl who doesn't believe in monogamy. So we know they will be showing some romantic friction as she hops from guy to guy. They have a muslim and christian and a guy who is likely atheist, so obviously there will be friction there. There is a woman complaining of male leadership never balancing the budget, which points to gender issues being another drama and her likely a feminist who has issues. It is obvious they picked some people for specific skills and knowledge so that the whole thing would not flounder immediately, but others were likely picked more for their social or intellectual ideas and how they will conflict and create drama.

I have a lot of doubts of the quality of this. It looks like a typical reality show but hyped as innovative because it will last longer and have 24/7 cameras.

I have been involved in self sustaining or intentional communities for quite awhile, visiting many different ones, living in one even for 4 years. Something the majority have in common is a strong philosophical or religious bond to keep the community united. Random strangers picked for drama do not have this sort of unifying force. Community life is difficult and without a strong bond to keep people working together well, I don't have much hope for this "experiment" to work well.

Will I watch it? I will likely watch once it hits the internet for free and I can watch multiple episodes all at once. But I would not pay for it, and I would not go out of my way to watch it as it is broadcast.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:02 am 

I agree that they stacked the cast too much for controversy. I was thinking it would be more about actual survival, but the only real emergency they have had so far is alcohol poisoning. I'll keep watching for now, but they are losing me fast with all this drama and arguments.

What I'd like to see:
Actual harvesting of crops
Less debates
Snares/trapping
More fishing
Hunting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:17 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm pretty sure if you picked that many people with consecutive entries in the phone book the group would fail without some kind of knowledgeable authoritarian in charge......(unless they were all from the Zimmy section :clap:)

There may well be some interesting insights that can be acquired by watching the show. The (possibly) blown out of proportion social dynamics could be educational in preparing for building a community in the future. Additionally, some clever person may have a technical idea that the viewer hasn't caught on to yet.

Will I watch it? Probably when it is on the internet. Would I pay for it? Hell, no. I'm waaaaay too cheap for that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:21 am 

Boondock wrote:
Let me know when they begin to eat one another. Then I might, might consider watching. :D

I think that happened the first night.

There is a newer thread someone posted around here somewheres.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:37 am 

Stercutus wrote:
Boondock wrote:

I think that happened the first night.

There is a newer thread someone posted around here somewheres.

Yep I started a new one here http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=113930

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:52 am 

I'll be surprised if it doesn't get canx well before season's end.

Reality shows = very little reality, waaaay too much 'drama'. At least they are cheap to produce...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:02 pm 

Utopia, watched premiere part 1 online at:

http://sharetv.com/watch/828687

And premiere part two:

http://sharetv.com/watch/829583

Early on, the episode was good for multiple laughs at the demonstrated… stupidity… as the hillbilly said in his monologue, you can't fix stupid…

It was down hill from there.

They need a filter for Flouride in the water?

The electricity is free?

Opinion: It's not even a "social experiment".. It appears to just be a gathering of deliberately selected personality conflicts.

$5,000 supposedly as a year long spending limit for 15 people?

I found the "tour" video shows nothing new…
http://www.utopiatv.com/news/detail/207 ... rom-utopia

Supposedly you can sign up to watch "live" video, i.e.:
http://www.utopiatv.com/live/overview/clip/2014-09-10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 pm 

I'm watching the show for now because I've exhausted my good hulu shows and can't find anything new worth watching on youtube. We'll see how this goes, so far not impressed either.

Also I don't like "Survivalist Bella"...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:41 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Worst Show Ever! I watched the first episode. Just barely. Its like freaking 90210 without power.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:25 am 

Wow.

A 45 minute display of socio-political confrontation set on a farm. I made it through most of the second episode before giving up. They seem split 50/50 between those who want a hippie commune and those who want Woodbury a la "the governor".

The chicken obsessed chick and the hillbilly are worth a laugh though :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 pm 

watch movies online free no sign up
watching free tv shows online without downloading