It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Greenhouse Thoughts
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 3225
Location: Central Cascadia
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 268 times
I'm planning on building a green house in the next year. I'm looking at ideas and thoughts on types of greenhouses. Currently there's one and its on the south facing wall. However its down below the house, and in a completely shaded area. Not exactly ideal for a lot of plants. I'm thinking of building a tunnel green house that's dug into the ground a little bit to extend the growing period. However, where I'm going to have it we get a lot of wind, and the area has lots of trees. So using the thick plastic sheeting may not be the best thing.

I'm not completely sold on the high tunnel idea, anyone have any other thoughts. This is for the PNW, so we have lots of cloud cover and kind of cold temps in the fall. Usually right around the time tomatoes are about to finish.

_________________
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Greenhouse Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:56 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1667
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 372 times
have you seen this one?


_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Greenhouse Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:44 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 11342
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 574 times
Whatever you do don't get the harbor freight one that will come down in a minute in moderate winds.

_________________
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Greenhouse Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:34 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 3225
Location: Central Cascadia
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 268 times
flybynight wrote:
have you seen this one?



Video isn't playing will check it tomorrow, thanks!

Stercutus wrote:
Whatever you do don't get the harbor freight one that will come down in a minute in moderate winds.


Lol! No, definitely not! I buy Horror Fright thugs only when I need something once. Not something that I want to last me years. However I did buy one of their big drills and drilled about 200 holes though 4' of railroad ties, and a 2" chop saw for converting 223 brass to 300bo that's probably run for 10+ hours total. But no, this will be something I buid myself, that I want to last for years to come.

ETA: Found the video in YouTube and watched from the app. That's awesome! Love the simplicity probably 2-3 hours of actual work and a great little green house. Though I wonder how long the plastic sheeting will last.

_________________
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Greenhouse Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1667
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 372 times
Halfapint wrote:
flybynight wrote:
have you seen this one?



Video isn't playing will check it tomorrow, thanks!

Stercutus wrote:
Whatever you do don't get the harbor freight one that will come down in a minute in moderate winds.


Lol! No, definitely not! I buy Horror Fright thugs only when I need something once. Not something that I want to last me years. However I did buy one of their big drills and drilled about 200 holes though 4' of railroad ties, and a 2" chop saw for converting 223 brass to 300bo that's probably run for 10+ hours total. But no, this will be something I buid myself, that I want to last for years to come.

ETA: Found the video in YouTube and watched from the app. That's awesome! Love the simplicity probably 2-3 hours of actual work and a great little green house. Though I wonder how long the plastic sheeting will last.

1-3 years or one good hailstorm. Package tape is good for small tears.

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Greenhouse Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:35 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1667
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 372 times
On a smaller scale if you just want to make some low tunnels.

http://www.vegetable-gardening-with-lorraine.com/hoop-tunnel.html


This ones pretty neat for a vegetable garden

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Greenhouse Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Posts: 7883
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 284 times
Don't know how much you want to dig and the local water table can be an issue - but perhaps a walipini greenhouse would work for you - what with the winds being a factor. Tons of Utoob vids and links for Walipini. Worth a look.

Image

The idea has been around for a while - everything old is new again, eh?

Image

_________________
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Greenhouse Thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:21 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 3225
Location: Central Cascadia
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 268 times
flybynight wrote:
On a smaller scale if you just want to make some low tunnels.

http://www.vegetable-gardening-with-lorraine.com/hoop-tunnel.html


This ones pretty neat for a vegetable garden


Hoop tunnel is something I'd be looking into as well, for the main garden and crops that like to go a little long into the fall. But I'm looking more like a high tunnel, well maybe a medium tunnel?

TacAir wrote:
Don't know how much you want to dig and the local water table can be an issue - but perhaps a walipini greenhouse would work for you - what with the winds being a factor. Tons of Utoob vids and links for Walipini. Worth a look.

Image

The idea has been around for a while - everything old is new again, eh?

Image


Both interesting ideas, water table wont be to much of an issue, on a hill a few hundred feet up. the well is 360' down (for some idea). I like the earthen one, that could easily be made out of concrete as earth wouldn't last long here.

Another thought would be the clear corrugated plastic, I'd be a lot more ridged and hold up longer than plastic sheeting. Does the clear plastic break down any faster than say the green ones? My father and grandfather build wood sheds with green corrugated that's still going strong 30 years after (some damage here and there but nothing major).

Thanks for all the replies, I've been looking into a lot of different ones, and I'm kind of partial to using ideas from new and old. I like the idea of digging down and getting kinda of deep into the earth, which also minimizes how tall the frame sticks up. I'd like to get some sort of jugs/barrels to make thermal mass heaters. I'd like to have it at least 6-8 foot tall because it would be fun to experiment and try and grow other things not easily grown here (avocado tree?!?).

_________________
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group