It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mini Excavator Need Help
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:54 pm 

So I will hopefully be in the market for some sort of mini excavator coming soon. I think a mini excavator fits my needs better (than say a small light duty tractor) because they are much narrower and I'll probably be using the backhoe (or whatever they are called when on the front) the most. Bucket would ideally come with a thumb or be able to have one added without retrofitting the entire arm. 6' reach would be a minimum, 8'+ would be ideal. A blade is a must as well, I'll be using it to clear overgrown paths, and leveling areas for pasture/mini home site. I know mini excavators come with small blades on the front.

What are some brands/models that people know of. I've found the Bobcat 325 seems to be about the ideal size for what I'm looking for. However with the Bobcat name comes the bobcat price. I'm looking to buy used as well to cut the pain of such a purchase down. I'm mechanically inclined so working on my own stuff doesn't bother me (in fact I am actually kind of excited to work on one to learn how they work better).

What say you? Do you have a brand that I should look into? Any insight into what I should look out for?

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Last edited by Halfapint on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Mini Excavator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm 

I am a fan of Terex, unlike bobcat or John deer - they are designed by people who actually work on things. All equipment requires routine maintenance and repairs, Terex expects this and makes the things you need to be accessible, accessible.
I've ran the tc35 and tc37 though they may be bigger than your ideal. I've briefly ran an HR as well, do nt remember the model.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 pm 

SRO1911 wrote:
I am a fan of Terex, unlike bobcat or John deer - they are designed by people who actually work on things. All equipment requires routine maintenance and repairs, Terex expects this and makes the things you need to be accessible, accessible.
I've ran the tc35 and tc37 though they may be bigger than your ideal. I've briefly ran an HR as well, do nt remember the model.

Please excuse my ignorance.... But what brand is HR? Thanks I'll look into Terex! I found

I've been looking so far at Yanmar Vi055 or the smaller Vi020. The 20 might be to small.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 pm 

Also does anyone know of any sites that you can look up used farm equipment? I think that's what I need more, everything I'm looking at is "give us your email and we'll send you a quote!"

I don't want a ton of spam or emails every day for the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:09 am 

https://www.tractorhouse.com

http://www.equipmenttrader.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:15 am 

I know you said excavator, but my work let me get a Bx25, from Kubota. 100hrs later, we still love the damn thing.
If you have 52 inches, you can slip it through, pads for backhoeextend a couple inches past tires, track measurement is a little thin.