It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:37 pm 

I am kind of at a loss looking for an answer to a question I have. I have read a few post on this forum and others looking for an answer, figured I would try.

I have been water bath canning pasta sauce and salsa for 6 years now and pickling beets for 3. This year I purchased a pressure canner from a friend and using the Ball Blue Book pressure canned the sweet corn from the garden to save room in the freezer. I followed the directions for the corn to the letter except for 1 little thing. I did not know / read a pressure canner required 2-3 inches of water to process quarts and covered the quart jars with 1 inch of water like I have been doing in the water bath. I vented the steam for 10 minutes and then processed for 1 hour and 25 minutes maintaining 11psi on a presto dial canner. I am wondering if the corn has been processed safely. The jars have good tight seals on the lids and there is still about 1 inch of headspace in the jars from the liquid.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

No, they really haven't been done in a way that is guaranteed safe.

When pressure canning never put the water level over the top of the vessel you are trying to seal, as it tends to mess up the seal in my experience.

Best bet is to pop the lids off those jars and try again with less water in the pressure canner (usually 1/3 of the way up the jar or so) and try again, if the sweet corn is still good that is.

As always your mileage may vary and I am not the ultimate authority on canning, but that's how I've done it and haven't had any issues.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:47 pm 

I would have zero issue with that. The whole point is to bring them up to temperature long enough to kill the baddies. So long as the water didn't evaporate, should be good to go...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:13 pm 

If I understand pressure and how it relates to the boiling point of water correctly. Increases in pressure raises the temperature water boils at, so the water boiling in the canner at 11psi should have been 240 degrees or a little higher, resulting in safe processing. The one thing I am not sure of but can reasonable assume, the temperature of the water is actually 240 degrees along with steam the canner normally produces. The jars were submerged in the 240 degree water for the processing time = safe processing. The problems I have researched with caning with the jars covered with water were two fold. First the jars not sealing, which they seem to have. I have not opened one yet the lids are all sucked down tight and do not pry off with normal finger pressure. I have not opened a jar because there is still fresh corn to eat. Secondly the jars may have lost liquid but the headspace is where I set it so I do not believe that occurred also.

The only other discussion on this matter I was able to find was covering the jars with water resulted in safe food but increased the time it took for the processing time to be started because of all the extra water I had to boil to get the steam required before I sealed the pressure canner vent with the weight.

Any further discussion is appreciated as it is just corn (sweet delicious garden corn) and a small waste of my free time, and botulism probably sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:43 pm 

I am absolutely no authority on this, I've only ever water bathed. However from the research I've done on the subject (a couple years) the issue you'd have you seemed to avoid. As you said one of the issues is that they wouldn't seal. Water would get in there and now allow the lids to seal, yours are so I would say you avoided that. The other issue would be that as you said, it would take longer, but as long as you allowed them to come to a boil and the pressure was getting released you should have cooked the just fine.

As you said, 11psi is around 245 degrees of water temperature. That should kill everything. However steam is hotter, that's why you want less water. The steam build up and is actually what does the cooking in a pressure system. You basically did a high temperature water bath.

I personally would not have any issues eating the corn. Just next time, don't fill it all the way up like you're used to. Perhaps ZombieGranny will come in. I think she's done some pressure canning, I would take her word for it over my ramblings.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:57 pm 

The steam isn't hotter, they're the same temperature. Kind of the whole point of boiling...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:53 am 

Thank you for the input so far it has been helpful