It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 pm 

It's this washer

And I see there is a new model with a different lid & lid fitting

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 pm 

First: I love this washer!

Second: This is NOT the 'bed of roses' washer lots of YouTube videos will lead you to believe it is.

Third: There is something NO videos are showing. This washer IS a clear and present danger for 'clogging' pipes. (but this is easy to to fix and avoid. I'll go into that later)

Fourth: I love this washer! I do most of my laundry with it 'most' of the time. In times of need I do most of my laundry with it 'all' of the time.

Fifth: There can be a biggg adjustment to 'trusting' that you need as little laundry detergent as you need to use with it.

Sixth: I love this washer!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:58 pm 

I, myself, still have trust issues with the WonderWash.

:lol:

*I* seem to be unreasonably resistant to the idea that I could get anything clean if I put more than a few loose items in it.

I think I am wrong.

I 'think' I am causing myself unnecessary work by making my loads extra small.

I 'think' that this pressure cooker idea of a washer that is the WonderWash actually does not need the small loads I insist on using to fully clean what I'm washing.

I would like to be wrong!

I have been using the WonderWash for years now. It is work. It takes a fair chunk of time. And I would like to cut the work and time I put into it.

Still.... I'm resistant.

The following video strongly indicates I am wrong and should get over my resistance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:07 pm 

This video is a more accurate representation of the work I experience using the WonderWash. One big reason is because it shows all the Indoor hanging *I* have to do myself because I have no place outside my dwelling anyone is allowed by lease to hang out laundry to dry.

This YouTuber also lives in a tiny dwelling. A camper trailer. My apartment 'is' larger.... but not that much larger. My apartment does not have good indoor airflow for drying because the only window of sorts it has is the balcony sliding door. So no cross flow of air through my apartment. That's a significant challenge for drying my laundry

This YouTuber says the recreational site she's in 'also' does not permit outside drying of laundry. She shows how she handles this.

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuAm9hTTEGk[/YouTube]

(EDIT: I couldn't figure out how to make that link work. The following post by majorhavoc has the same video, you know, but it works. So watch 'that' one instead)

Last edited by zombiepreparation on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

zombiepreparation wrote:
This video is a more accurate representation of the work I experience using the WonderWash. One big reason is because it shows all the Indoor hanging *I* have to do myself because I have no place outside my dwelling anyone is allowed by lease to hang out laundry to dry.

This YouTuber also lives in a tiny dwelling. A camper trailer. My apartment 'is' larger.... but not [i]that[i] much larger. My apartment does not have good indoor airflow for drying because the only window of sorts it has is the balcony sliding door. So no cross flow of air through my apartment. That's a significant challenge for drying my laundry

This YouTube says the recreational site she's in 'also' does not permit outside drying of laundry. She shows how she handles this.

FIFY. (lose the ever-pesky "s" in "https")

I'd have an easier time trusting this gizmo if it had a different name. I decided long ago that any product with the words "Wonder", "Magic" or "Miracle" in its name was highly suspect and likely future garage sale fodder. Doubly so if the phrase "As Seen On TV" appears anywhere on the packaging.

Seriously though, I've actually heard good things about this little washer. I wish there were a heavier duty version with a metal crank though. In any case I picture myself using something like this for my life in the post-apocalyptic age retirement wandering the country in a kickass bug out rig mini motorhome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 pm 

You can compare it to washing clothes in a 5 gal bucket with a plunger. But, a lot easier.

You can successfully clean multiple articles of clothing, but just be careful not to overload.

If you have more time than money, its worth it. The spin dryer is good. Just hang up clothes to finish drying before folding. Sure beats dealing with quarters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
FIFY. (lose the ever-pesky "s" in "https")

oh-h-h-h, that's how you do it. Thank!You!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 pm 

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
You can successfully clean multiple articles of clothing, but just be careful not to overload.

See, that's why I'm wanting (needing) to 'talk' with other WonderWash users. I need to ask questions. I want to hear what & how other WW users do.

Like right now......

How would I recognize I'm overloading the WW? By weight?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:19 pm 

zombiepreparation wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:

See, that's why I'm wanting (needing) to 'talk' with other WonderWash users. I need to ask questions. I want to hear what & how other WW users do.

Like right now......

Try hitting some of the full-timer RV sites. These little washers are popular with many who pretty much live on the road.

When working summer camps, I use a 6 gallon galvanized washtub and washboard. Nothing against the little WW - but the tub has more uses.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:29 pm 

zombiepreparation wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:

Like right now......

space/clothes ratio in the tub. You need a ample space for it to clean properly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:17 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

zombiepreparation wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:

Like right now......

It should spin easily ZP. If the clothing is thudding around in the WW, it's likely too heavy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 am 

goofygurl wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
zombiepreparation wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:

space/clothes ratio in the tub. You need a ample space for it to clean properly.

It should spin easily ZP. If the clothing is thudding around in the WW, it's likely too heavy.

Well, heck. I figure I'm pretty close to following these instructions already so I guess that's settled.

I go by weight of the amount of water I'm using and packed density of clothing being washed.

So, next question:
How many times do you guys rinse after the wash?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:35 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

majorhavoc wrote:

I'd have an easier time trusting this gizmo if it had a different name. I decided long ago that any product with the words "Wonder", "Magic" or "Miracle" in its name was highly suspect and likely future garage sale fodder. Doubly so if the phrase "As Seen On TV" appears anywhere on the packaging.

Seriously though, I've actually heard good things about this little washer. I wish there were a heavier duty version with a metal crank though. In any case I picture myself using something like this for my life in the post-apocalyptic age retirement wandering the country in a kickass bug out rig mini motorhome.

I feel the same, I felt for sure this would be a spam thread. I'm very pleasently surprised it's not.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:27 pm 

Main reason I bought one was because I was making $12/hr, supporting 2 people. For $115, I could do a lot more laundry in these than with quarters. I now make much more, with mandatory OT. So now I have less time. No plans to get rid of it. It looks gimmicky, but unless you want to use a 5 gal bucket and do more work, it works as it should.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:33 pm 

Sold under more than one name - the Amazon reviews are a wealth of good tips on use....

https://www.amazon.com/EasyGo-Washer-Po ... B00OTYK3O6

Also
Best Choice Products Portable Compact Mini Twin Tub Washing Machine and Spin Cycle
Slightly larger & 2x more money (99USD) but electric powered & spin cycle
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ICBLBL0/re ... B00OTYK3O6

Costway Mini Washing Machine Small Compact Washer
About the same cost (45 USD) and electric powered
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y28L3S1/ref=dp_cerb_3

Dig into the world of Amazon and be amazed that the vast number of washing solutions offered....
Still, the Wonder Washer is one of many possible means to an end...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Rinsing in this thing can be hard but we noticed that if you skip the regular detergent and use liquid Castile soap, it isn't as bad. Just don't use a ton.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:09 am 

goofygurl wrote:
Rinsing in this thing can be hard but we noticed that if you skip the regular detergent and use liquid Castile soap, it isn't as bad. Just don't use a ton.

oooooooo - I have a tip on that!! I'll get back to it later because I 'need' to talk about lint and pipes that I mentioned in the second post before I forget it again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:45 am 

Heyyy, there are more posters here talking about this dandy little washer. <fist pump> Yes! I've been using mine for several years now. But recently I'd been thinking I needed to talk with others using it and get tips on how to be more efficient and tips on washing better. Hence this thread.

And now before I forget AGAIN I want to get back to this Most Important Thing:
zombiepreparation wrote:
Third: There is something NO videos are showing. This washer IS a clear and present danger for 'clogging' pipes. (but this is easy to to fix and avoid).

The thing is I can rarely 'see' lint in the water so I'm going to assume most of you don't notice much of it either. But it's there and it's important to trust me on this. Because lint in the pipes Will slowly build up to a point that it demands a plumber with a Biiigggg snake to do more than just make the smaller hole 'through' the clog that our home-owned snakes do.

If you own your own home you'll more than likely see the importance in not being unnecessarily billed by a plumber. I will imagine if you're doing laundry in a hand-turned washing machine cost effectiveness is probably important in your budget.

But apartment or rental house living can make a person have a sense of 'well, it won't cost 'me' anything so it doesn't matter'.

Well & good I guess. However what I cause in my apartment can cause plumbing issues for my neighbors too. And when a plumber is called to snake a pipe there is the possibility they can identify what caused the blockage. Then report it to management. Wherein said management might decide I caused an unnecessary cost and might decide to flat out charge me, or at the very least give me grief about it.

So it's my considered opinion that if you own where you live you can feel free to do whatever with your pipes. Whereas if you rent or live in a multi unit apartment building like I do it might behoove you to use this dandy little WonderWasher improvised lint catcher.

It's the easiest thing in the world next to spreading room temperature butter on a piece of hot toast.

annnnnnddddd ------ it's panty hose to the tool box again!!

For a three+ year supply of WonderWash lint catchers obtain the largest size panty hose available.

One regular or small size will also provide one to two years of lint catchers.

New, used, second hand. Garage sale, thrift store, grocery store. Doesn't matter.

Now that you have a pair cut the legs off.

I cut a length, maybe at or under a foot in length.
I choose to have both ends of the length open so if my length is the foot end, I just cut the toe off.

Then pull out god's greatest invention---- duct tape! I know if you visit 'this' board you always have duct tape around.

One end of the length will probably be wider than the other. Here's the way 'I' do it:

You know that drain pipe you can attach to the WonderWasher? I definitely use it rather than using the dump method because of the lint. That you can't really notice. But you will notice once you start using the lint catcher.

I tie a reasonably loose knot in the widest end. Reasonably loose because depending on the things I'm laundering I may need to empty lint out of it at least once before I decide to toss it. (I generally use one for 6-8 months before I toss it)

Next I slip the narrowest end of the length of stocking over the WonderWash drain pipe about two or three inches.

Then I take a piece of duct tape and afix the stocking to the pipe.

That's it.

When I finish my laundry I squeeze the excess water out of the lint catcher and slide it onto the pipes under my b-room sink (where it lives) to hang and air dry. (my sink doesn't sit on a cabinet)

From start-to-finish will take not much more time than it took for you to read this.

Your pipes are safe from lint from your WonderWasher.

Trust me on just this one thing. You need to catch that lint you can't see but will see once you start using the lint catcher.

Laters :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:03 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

It's kind of a freaky coincidence, but I was at my local Goodwill today and they had a WonderWash for 5 bucks. It looked like it's never been used. Normally I wouldn't have bought it, especially since I was on my motorcycle at the time. But this thread piqued my interest. I'm going to give it test tonight.

Anyone know what it's supposed to come with? I have the washer unit including stand, crank, wash chamber and lid. The only extra parts I have are a little plug that stands proud of the bottom drain inside the chamber (it looks like it's designed to prevent wet clothes from blocking the drain, and a rigid drain pipe that plugs horizontally into the bottom of the outside of the chamber.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:18 pm 

Thats about it. Just a tub on a stand really.

$5....damn.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:50 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
It's kind of a freaky coincidence, but I was at my local Goodwill today and they had a WonderWash for 5 bucks. It looked like it's never been used. Normally I wouldn't have bought it, especially since I was on my motorcycle at the time. But this thread piqued my interest. I'm going to give it test tonight.

Anyone know what it's supposed to come with? I have the washer unit including stand, crank, wash chamber and lid. The only extra parts I have are a little plug that stands proud of the bottom drain inside the chamber (it looks like it's designed to prevent wet clothes from blocking the drain, and a rigid drain pipe that plugs horizontally into the bottom of the outside of the chamber.

Wow. How envious am I! (I live by 'One is none, two is one' :lol: )

The little plug is new to me but other than that it looks like you got the entire kit-&-caboodle. $5. Talk about a bit of good luck.

!!

Now about that little plug.... and me. I guess it assumes I am going to drain the water out of it with my clothes inside the wash chamber. Like a regular washer does. And which under almost every circumstance I can come up with is something I won't do with the WonderWash.

Because.....

It seems yucky to me to drain the soap/dirt water while my laundry is sitting in the soap/dirt water.

So, as soon as I'm finished with the wash portion I pull my laundry out of the water. Then drain the water. Same with any/all succeeding rinses. Finish rinsing - pull the laundry out - drain the water.

Just make better sense.... at least to me. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:11 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

zombiepreparation wrote:
Wow. How envious am I! (I live by 'One is none, two is one' :lol: ):)

Looks like it is indeed a complete unit, with all the bits except for the instructions and apparently a cotter pin that’s supposed to secure the crank arm to the spindle. I’ve done three loads with it now, just to get a feel for how I’m going to achieve snuggly soft towels and sheets in the post apocalyptic age. Between that and a decent cup of coffee, I can almost imagine a life worth living for in the zombie apocalypse.

I will say this: this thing does seem to effectively clean laundry with very little actual work. In terms of load size, I’d say I can fit in a little more than one days’s worth of clothing. So figure one load per person, per day, for every member in your party. A means to dry the wet laundry might be the limiting factor here.

I’d say the biggest pain is rinsing out the suds; after actually washing a load, I have to do at least two additional cycles with cold water to get rid of the last traces of detergent. Access to a good source of clear water is a must. In an emergency scenario, it might be easier to bring the wash unit to the water source rather than the other way around.

My unit doesn’t have that screw down knob on the top lid I’m seeing in all the YT videos. It has a green cam lock lever arrangement instead. Not sure if that’s an older design or something new, but it does effectively seal the wash chamber.

If I had to change one thing, it would be the plastic stand that supports the wash chamber and allows it to spin freely. It just feels kind of flimsy. If I were feeling industrious, I’d use the parts of the plastic stand to trace replacements on ¾” cabinet grade plywood, cut them out and then seal the bejezus out of them with Thompson’s Waterseal or maybe some spar urethane varnish. I can visualize a variation of the existing stand design that's hinged so it can fold flat when not in use.

zombiepreparation wrote:
Now about that little plug.... and me. I guess it assumes I am going to drain the water out of it with my clothes inside the wash chamber. Like a regular washer does. And which under almost every circumstance I can come up with is something I won't do with the WonderWash.

Because.....

It seems yucky to me to drain the soap/dirt water while my laundry is sitting in the soap/dirt water.

So, as soon as I'm finished with the wash portion I pull my laundry out of the water. Then drain the water. Same with any/all succeeding rinses. Finish rinsing - pull the laundry out - drain the water.

Just make better sense.... at least to me. :)

Not that three loads makes me an expert but yeah, I settled on something similar. While it's draining (that internal valve that opens only when the drain pipe is inserted is pretty slick), I pull the clothes out one by one and hang them up. By the time the last of the water has drained from the wash chamber, a good deal of the water has managed to drip out of the clothes and I've had a chance to wring them out a bit. Then everything goes back in the chamber with fresh water and I repeat twice to get rid of the last of the suds. Using less detergent that you'd think seems key here.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 pm 

I don't even remember how I discovered the WonderWash anymore. Though I bless the day I did!

The way I wash with it is I alternate the direction I spin it: Four turns one way, four turns the other way, repeat, repeat.

I'm under the self imposed illusion that doing so reduces the 'packing' of the laundry as it washes. :)

Another thing for me is I do not like using it with the handle on the side directly facing me. I seat it with the handle alternately on the left side one time I wash and on the right side the next time I wash.

Just a preference. An 'exercise' preference. So both my arms are rather equally exercised over the long run.

Another thing I do, for exercise again, is I use the handle to turn it the four times 'away' from me, then switch on the next four to tipping the the tub toward me in an alternate left hand right hand on the top and bottom movement.

:lol:

I also breathe in, two, three, four..... out, two, three, four..... in, two, three, four...... repeat repeat.

Uh huh.

Annnnnddddd...... when I'm tipping the tub toward me with the alternate right hand/left hand movement I'm also doing small upper body stretches to the left and right as I tip pull it.

Laugh if you must :) but I really do find this rhythm and movement I've come up with almost meditative.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:15 pm 

So I used this thing few times recentky. Did cat blankets, body pillow cover, towels etc. Still impressed with it. Due to my space constraints...id rather a 5 gal bucket and just handwash. Or use that weird plunger. Id stilk recommend this.. Although the stand needs reinforcing and I hate those suction cups.