Cabin Porn

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Cabin Porn

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:41 am

When I get fed up with the rat race, I go to this site and dream of my future retirement to the simple life.

http://cabinporn.com

User avatar
Zembecowicz
* *
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:20 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)
Location: Mt. Hood, OR

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by Zembecowicz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm planning to build a little Summer/guest cabin (small enough to be a shed legally) down by river that my property ends at in a few years. I've found a lot of inspiration on that site.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:32 am

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by CrossCut » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Zembecowicz wrote:I'm planning to build a little Summer/guest cabin (small enough to be a shed legally) down by river that my property ends at in a few years. I've found a lot of inspiration on that site.
If you build it they will come. We have a small offgrid cottage on our rural property we moved to about a decade ago, and we see more of our family and friends now then when we lived 10 minutes away from them.

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6801
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Technically, there's a "cabin" on this island. Does this count?


User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 7932
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by TacAir » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Image

The dream.


Image

The reality of what is affordable.....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 5962
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Not Here.

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by the_alias » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:57 pm

TacAir wrote:Image

The dream.


Image

The reality of what is affordable.....
I feel this way sometimes as well.

My housemates have the Cabin Porn book, it's got some cooler stories in it about people who were able to fulfill their dream. Not all required lots of money so there is hope still.
Man is a beast of prey

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 pm

the_alias wrote:
TacAir wrote:Image

The dream.


Image

The reality of what is affordable.....
I feel this way sometimes as well.

My housemates have the Cabin Porn book, it's got some cooler stories in it about people who were able to fulfill their dream. Not all required lots of money so there is hope still.

That is why I am building my own. It has been a labor of love for the last couple of years but I only have about $10,000 invested in it so far and I am almost done. I should have about $12,000 total into it. I can take it with me and just buy plots of land that i can park it on to get away. Part of that $12,000 also includes a 1 ton truck I bought at a steal to haul it.

Image
Image not mine. I'll post when I am done.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6801
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:52 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote: That is why I am building my own. It has been a labor of love for the last couple of years but I only have about $10,000 invested in it so far and I am almost done. I should have about $12,000 total into it. I can take it with me and just buy plots of land that i can park it on to get away. Part of that $12,000 also includes a 1 ton truck I bought at a steal to haul it.

Image
Image not mine. I'll post when I am done.
Will be very interested in seeing the end result of your tiny home project, doitnstyle1. $12K for the structure and a vehicle to haul it with is indeed a bargain.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by flybynight » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:21 pm

http://www.tuffshed.com/product/premier ... -weekender

If we ever buy more land. something like this is what we will put on it.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by doitnstyle1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:29 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
doitnstyle1 wrote: That is why I am building my own. It has been a labor of love for the last couple of years but I only have about $10,000 invested in it so far and I am almost done. I should have about $12,000 total into it. I can take it with me and just buy plots of land that i can park it on to get away. Part of that $12,000 also includes a 1 ton truck I bought at a steal to haul it.

Image
Image not mine. I'll post when I am done.
Will be very interested in seeing the end result of your tiny home project, doitnstyle1. $12K for the structure and a vehicle to haul it with is indeed a bargain.
Here is where I am at right now:
Trailer was purchased for $150. I added $400 of extra steel to reinforce frame. Axles are costing me about $700.
I bought the front door from A Restore for about $40
Image

Siding is done a bit at a time. Almost done.
Image

Interior stairway pushes up and slides to the left out of the way. Full sized tub made out of a Watering trough.
Image

My Tiny Stove purchased from Sportsman's Guide for $104.00
Image

I have done a lot more work just haven't taken a recent pictures. much more on the interior done. I already have a lot of the materials to finish and just need to find time to work with some asssitance.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3560
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Back in the Pac Northwet

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 am

Awesome build doitnstyle1, that looks like it will be a mighty fine tiny house when finished.

And since I am here, how about John Neeman's Birth of a House video.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2214
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:09 am

Those little tiny house kits are awesome. My girlfriend rented one for a year in someone's backyard when she went back to school. I loved visiting it. If you live alone, you can't beat one since they are bigger than many city apartments.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:40 am

Awesome video. I so am zombie chow...

SkullGirl
* * *
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Trapped in the city

Re: Cabin Porn

Post by SkullGirl » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:46 pm

ineffableone wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 am
Awesome build doitnstyle1, that looks like it will be a mighty fine tiny house when finished.

And since I am here, how about John Neeman's Birth of a House video.
Wow. Just wow! I enjoyed that video so much. I am impressed by the workmanship and the beauty of that house. Thanks for sharing that video with us.
- Bacon is like a little hug from GOD

Post Reply

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”