Sort-of random crappy leatherworking from free leather

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Sort-of random crappy leatherworking from free leather

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:30 am

Posted here as diy fun

Sometimes random bs happens to coincide well. Like the fact I live in a neighborhood with a lot of temporary foreign nationals, that just put their furniture on the curb when they move out, and that I want to learn how to do leather work.

A neighbor but out a nice green leather couch a few weeks ago, and nobody picked it up as it had a big tear. I decided that since it was to be ruined and headed for the dump, I would skin it instead. That was fun, and I ended up with something like 5 yards of sage green leather.

Ok, what to do with it. I needed a Frog for my dirk (Diggler), as I was going to take it to wasteland Weekend as my dullest short sword, and I also decided to skin the sheath on my Rowan RC 6 to match.

What are the lessons here? You can find free leather in the form of old couches. Anybody can sew leather with just a few tools like a square, a straight edge, a cookie tin for a compass, a utility knife, a hole punch, and an upholstery needle.

Last edited by Dawgboy on Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

flybynight

Re: Sort-of random crappy leatherworking from from free leat

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:45 pm

I think it looks pretty cool. Does the knife sheath have a welt between the stitched area surrounding the blade?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:23 am

If it's stupid and works, it's not stupid... Or something like that. I think this stuff is great - nice work!
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:25 pm

flybynight wrote:I think it looks pretty cool. Does the knife sheath have a welt between the stitched area surrounding the blade?
The knife sheath is simply a piece of leather wrapped and stitched around a coyote tan plastic OEM sheath that has grommets and molle slots. The black leather belt loop is simply bolted throuth the hard plastic. In no way does the blade contact the leather.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:40 pm

Some other recent toys, for Wasteland weekend... Not leather, but fun to make none-the-less...

And a "Viking spear", Hoping to sell this, I made a leather cover for this. Spun the ash shaft true with a redneck lathe, Heat treated, stained with coffee dye, dappled with flat enamel paint, and then rubbed with beeswax. The shaft is hand tapered to fit the socket, and sealed in with hot beeswax and a bronze ring shank "rivet", Head is dull as can be, but I will sharpen for a buyer, if wanted.

And the 3 sharps I am going to be taking all together. I repaired the back of that Kabar Khukri as for the 3rd time, the blade sliced it open. I cut a piece of Kydex to fit the blade profile, slid it in and epoxied it, then added a layer of the green leather to patch, also epoxied...

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Re: Sort-of random crappy leatherworking from free leather

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:09 pm

I dig it.

after (briefly) owning a winkler knife I've can really see the appeal of leather-over-modern sheath, aesthetics and practicality need not live in opposition forever!
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:06 pm

I wonder how it is for your neighbor to see you wearing their couch...
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Lol, They dropped it about 2 blocks from my home, on a different street, on a canyon edge, and most likely they are long gone. Living right next to a major university brings a lot of short timers through.

I have just a huge amount of leather still, so more projects to come.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”