It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:53 pm 

Here's an interesting concept: a group has started developing open-source building plans for the 50 most important "industrial" tools to "start a civilization" (or perhaps restart one after a zombie apocalypse?). They are also working on an open-source ultra-efficient tiny home that would probably could be adapted as a BOL.

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S63Cy64p2lQ[/YouTube]

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S63Cy64p2lQ[/YouTube]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/622508883/open-building-institute-eco-building-toolkit/description

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:28 am 

I like the design and idea of the house. Clearly vegans though.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
Clearly vegans though.

The fuck does that have to do with anything?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 pm 

DrthTater wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Clearly vegans though.

The fuck does that have to do with anything?

Well if you are vegan too. Slow response time? :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:09 pm 

Remove the S in the HTTPS and the tube vid will run

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 pm 

Worth the time to watch both vids. Some of the claim are pretty fuzzy:

800 sq foot home built in 5 days. Hoe big was the crew, how much time for the prefab parts, what kind of foundation amd where permits required? None of this mentioned - so, fuzzy.

Hope it works out for the guy, could be some good stuff...

ETA 0 one of the points oabout building the 800 sq ft house.

Construction pays for itself.

By charging fees for skilling people up, OBI not only removes the cost of construction for the homeowner, but turns the labor equation on its head by turning an immersion learning workshop experience for participants into financial support for OBI, while essentially eliminating the cost of labor for the homeowner.

What might this look like? “All you need is a plot of land connected to a utilities infrastructure and a workshop space. A group of people — around 35 — who have signed up for an OBI immersion course show up to learn,” says Marcin. “We teach them how to do the build using cordless drills and a number of saws and normal big-box store materials, which would be ordered by the homeowner and delivered. Then we assemble the pieces needed for the house, including modular electric wiring and plumbing, and install them rapidly in place.”

Although many of the materials used in the current designs do come from stores, OBI is moving towards the production of local materials — lumber, bricks, insulation, lime concrete and paint — to be produced right at the build site from natural resources and using open source machinery. OBI trainees learn not just how to build a house, but also how to build construction machines and produce materials.

So, rank amateurs (30+) will build your home....

I've been involved with using volunteer labor raising church buildings - prefab even - and the trades (licensed plumber, carpenter, etc) NEED to be involved. YMMV.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:22 am 

So I have been sampling Marcin Jakubowski's youtube channel videos. Some interesting stuff there. Since the Ted talk was from 2011, I figured he would be a bit further along than he is. But he is making progress. Though a bit slowly, and seems to be making some pretty basic mistakes. Like building a back hoe with a too small hydraulic cylinder that bent as well as the back hoe attachment being too heavy for his open source tractor to lift with it's small hydraulic arms.

So obviously there is a lot of bugs in the concepts. The idea is nice, and the concept is cool. But in the execution of things start to find problems. But then it seems a lot of work goes into starting building one of the machines, then they stop and move on to the next. They have a handy graph from 2014 of the progress on the machines.

Notice not one has reached 100% Most are under 50%. Though I hope now 3 yrs later they have gotten a bit further along in some of these. Now maybe they haven't finalized any tools since this is supposed to be a modular system and they have to have everything working and functioning to make sure everything is compatible. So as they develop new stuff they discover compatibility issues and then can go back and fix them. Like the issue of the tractor not being able to lift the back hoe.

I also have to mention, they are a bit deceptive on the whole, cost break down. For example they cite their cost for a Dozer build was $23K and reference a $196K John Deere that is much bigger and more powerful than what they built, as well as having a 6 way blade compared to theirs that just lifts up and down that is it, no angle movement no pitch. For $23K I can buy a used dozer with a 6 way blade that might have problems here and there, but would have a lot more function than the small $23K one they build that is closer to a skid steer in size and capability.

This is just one of many examples where they make it sound like they are building something comparable to a much more expensive unit, but the reality is they aren't comparing like items. Theirs is a much lower grade yet in price could compare to buying on the used market something of higher quality.

Now post PAW, you might not have the option to buy used equipment. But this was not the intended purpose of this project. This was to make open source cheaper options for people to make it easier for folks to have these essential tools to build civilization. Yet again and again, they are comparing brand new prices of equipment and machines that have higher build quality and function, to these DIY projects that have the minimal functions to be called the machine, and aren't anywhere close to the build quality of the professional built machines. And the Open Source pricing, ends up being close to what buying used would be.

So while I like the idea and concept, seems like there is some issues to work out of the whole thing.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:19 am 

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/OSE_Microhouse

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/OSE_Microhouse_Prototype_Build

More deets on the house project. Not superlative in many ways, but still sounds faster and more efficient then many semi-primitive house building techniques.

I really dig what these guys are doing, I think they are one of the few groups that have dedicated enough bandwidth to even attempt a holistic look at something like this.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:42 pm 

TacAir wrote:

By charging fees for skilling people up, OBI not only removes the cost of construction for the homeowner, but turns the labor equation on its head by turning an immersion learning workshop experience for participants into financial support for OBI, while essentially eliminating the cost of labor for the homeowner.

A lot of "Log Home Building Courses" do this as well, and in some ways it's a bit of a scam.

1-"Teacher" buys a plot of land, get's permits.
2- 30 or so student's show up, pay tuition, the sum of which is close to the amount the teacher paid for the land.
3- Students spend the first few days peeling logs. (Peeling logs does not take more than one or two logs as practice to get proficient, this is the instructor getting the students to do the unpleasant labor).
4- Students carry and loft logs, watch as teacher cuts joints.
5- Roofing with student labor.
6- Week is over, students get certificate, go home.
7- Teacher sells log house and land for pure profit.

Sound's like the same MO.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:32 pm 

LowKey wrote:
TacAir wrote:

A lot of "Log Home Building Courses" do this as well, and in some ways it's a bit of a scam....

I've assumed the same of many Cob house building programs, I know nobodies getting rich off of it but it did always sound like paying money to do manual labour for someone else.

The unfortunate economies of these sorts of projects require either 1) independent and leisure-allowing levels of personal wealth 2) a wealthy patron(s) or 3) scammy rackets to fund even a small group of folks to keep a light on.

These guys don't attempt a PAW level of self sufficiency obviously, with their heavy reliance on modern tech and fossil fuels, but at the very least I applaud their attempt at consolidation, the "power cube" as the single power source is an interesting concept, that would probably we more Mad-Max worthy if converted to wood gas or similar.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:42 am 

RonnyRonin wrote:
LowKey wrote:
TacAir wrote:

A lot of "Log Home Building Courses" do this as well, and in some ways it's a bit of a scam....

I've assumed the same of many Cob house building programs, I know nobodies getting rich off of it but it did always sound like paying money to do manual labour for someone else.

The unfortunate economies of these sorts of projects require either 1) independent and leisure-allowing levels of personal wealth 2) a wealthy patron(s) or 3) scammy rackets to fund even a small group of folks to keep a light on.

These guys don't attempt a PAW level of self sufficiency obviously, with their heavy reliance on modern tech and fossil fuels, but at the very least I applaud their attempt at consolidation, the "power cube" as the single power source is an interesting concept, that would probably we more Mad-Max worthy if converted to wood gas or similar.

Oh, the concept is good. I like the idea of some open source plans for these bits of equipment, but it realy looks like they're milking this thing.
With the time they have in this project, at least a half dozen of the projects should be finished.

Here's one they should have pushed through faster, as it would be a foundational building block AND has already been proven and manufactured...the nickel iron batteries they have on their site. The one's they need to store solar power, and to act as a buffer for their stuff that needs electricity....like lights, the 3d printer, their welding equipment.
Hundred year old tech, samples out there that they could obtain and tear apart to retro engineer, and they still have nothing. Sad.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein