It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 am 

Hey I am about to watch the 1st episode of this and figured I would first start a thread about it here.

I will let you know what I think after watching the 1st episode. The previews make it sound ambitious but at least planned out somewhat. Will it be typical "reality" show BS or will they do a decent job? Not sure yet.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:37 am 

Well after watching the 1st episode, I have to say plenty of the typical BS. Lots of focus on drama and who hooks up with who. Of course there is an "outsider" someone who actually has long term survival in mind but can't get the group to see what he does. And of course, bit by bit they ostracize him making things worse.

Like most of these group survival shows there are a few hard workers, and the rest seem to just think they are on vacation. One girl actually said she was there to enjoy the place and do as little work as possible. Of course she is also one of the ones who hooks up with someone and makes a big deal about being vegetarian.

Good concept, but they failed by building the same BS drama filled cast that all these shows tend to do.

I will likely wait till the entire show is out then watch the whole thing. Since I really don't think it is worth tuning in each episode. Maybe there will be some good little nuggets of info to pick up, but really not likely.

The one thing I do have to say I found interesting, is the 4 camera people are actually semi involved. They actually talk to the people, get shown themselves on camera, and live there with the people and deal with the same stuff.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:23 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Is this only available on BBC4?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:06 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I liked it/ Brought up some good points to consider. The groups focus is off and their "trial by error" ratio is starting off really high. The food consumption in the camp after the first day was pretty high before a proper inventory and caloric requirement was made by the chef and the vet. It should have been adjusted after the loss of the one goat and some of the chicken feed. I'm unsure about the slaughtering of the pig at that time of year but I am not well versed in porcine livestock. They almost lost some sheep and the goats are just running rampant and eating everything they can get into. no real pens have been made to keep the livestock safe from each other, predators (if there are any) and from themselves as evidenced by the dead goat.

The winter camp idea was a good idea but still not on the priority list just yet. There is still a lot of play going on and a lot of down time before things are really accomplished. Really a sweat lodge?

There was a lot of risky behavior that could someone out of commission before the basic tasks are complete. I think the Doctor should have stepped in with a risk assessment plan.

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I got to see the second episode and it looks as if they are starting to get it a little. I not focusing on any stupid drama as with many of these shows and I like it a little more because it is less edited than US Television. I think we get a more realistic view of what is going on on the ground. I could be wrong, but I am willing to give it a try. At least until The Walking Dead comes back on :)

The Sociological and psychological aspect of this show is a little more fascinating than all the other shows IMO. Quite a bit more people. So far, it shows a far broader view of the dynamics involved when strangers come together and try to develop relationships (non-sexual mainly) to establish a societal norm for that environment and temperament of people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:31 pm 

I'm finding it quite interesting, they seem to have a group containing the right expertise to make a go of it. Time will tell.

As an aside, which may help people find it on whatever *flix they use, it's not a BBC production but Channel 4.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:40 pm 

If we are starting over then I will claim credit for inventing the Golf Pencil. I called it. It's mine!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

If your going that route:

Aglet- piece of plastic covering the ends of your shoelace, so you don’t have to moisten them with spit to thread them through your shoelace holes.