It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 pm 

zantra wrote:
use a bucket half full of dirt to start and have another bucket full of dirt, for solid wastes, or use kitty litter, litter pan, small rake and plastic bag (dispose of later, outside). For liquid wastes use a wide mouthed jar and dispose of it later/outside. Campmor sells a "lady j" funnel for female use. each flush wastes 5 gallons of water you'll need to be drinking, so have a Sawyer mini-filter (or some bleach or idodine or pool shock for water treatment, and if shtf, immediately remove the toilet handle, cause you WILL forget and flush it!

ASAP of shtf, or even looks like it MIGHT, fill the bathtub with water. Keep your water-heater
s tank flushed of sediments, and keep the threads of the drain-valve lubricated, or it will break off when you need it most! As soon as the power goes off, there will be no more pumping of water up into the water tower and people will quickly drain the pipes, so the gravity feed mechanism wont be working more than an hour or so.

Do you really have a 5 gal tank? All I have seen in recent years were1.6 gal. :?:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mad Mike wrote:
zantra wrote:
use a bucket half full of dirt to start and have another bucket full of dirt, for solid wastes, or use kitty litter, litter pan, small rake and plastic bag (dispose of later, outside). For liquid wastes use a wide mouthed jar and dispose of it later/outside. Campmor sells a "lady j" funnel for female use. each flush wastes 5 gallons of water you'll need to be drinking, so have a Sawyer mini-filter (or some bleach or idodine or pool shock for water treatment, and if shtf, immediately remove the toilet handle, cause you WILL forget and flush it!

ASAP of shtf, or even looks like it MIGHT, fill the bathtub with water. Keep your water-heater
s tank flushed of sediments, and keep the threads of the drain-valve lubricated, or it will break off when you need it most! As soon as the power goes off, there will be no more pumping of water up into the water tower and people will quickly drain the pipes, so the gravity feed mechanism wont be working more than an hour or so.

Do you really have a 5 gal tank? All I have seen in recent years were1.6 gal. :?:

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:02 pm 

psst zantra went to that great thread graveyard in the sky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:06 pm 

flybynight wrote:

Thanks - I hadn't noticed that. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:17 pm 

Mad Mike wrote:
flybynight wrote:

That's cause you didn't have a ciener .22 conversion with suppressor on your AR.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:32 pm 

flybynight wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:
flybynight wrote:

That's cause you didn't have a ciener .22 conversion with suppressor on your AR.

My bad..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:48 am 

Even if the power is out, I'm almost positive you can flush most toilet systems by pouring water in the bowl. Enough water and the pressure difference makes it flush.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

OMark wrote:
Even if the power is out, I'm almost positive you can flush most toilet systems by pouring water in the bowl. Enough water and the pressure difference makes it flush.
I have heard the same thing. How long would it work for?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:59 am 

MPMalloy wrote:
OMark wrote:

Yes, you can flush a toilet that way.
It will keep working until the sewer drain lines fill up.
Don't be at the low point in the sewer when that happens!!! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mad Mike wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
OMark wrote:
Yes, you can flush a toilet that way. It will keep working until the sewer drain lines fill up. Don't be at the low point in the sewer when that happens!!! :cry:
Roger that! :gonk:

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm 

Camp toilet, triple bagged, and kitty litter to control the stench.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Buckets to flush with are what we often use now. Off-grid (+ septic), so we fill 6 buckets from the well pump when we have an abundance of battery power (or when the backup genny is running) and use those first. Battery power is usually lowest at the time of the usual 'morning business', and using the buckets keep the well pump from running to refill the tank which can sometimes drain the batts enough to start the genny. No munchkins in our home so water filled 5-gallon buckets aren't a safety concern, and we don't have to worry about the dogs running out of water if we don''t make it home on time. Two flushes per bucket, or three if we're careful. Just pour it straight into the bowl.

Close_enough wrote:
Camp toilet, triple bagged, and kitty litter to control the stench.

Just picked one of those up recently, or something similar maybe, for use in a camper w/o a bathroom. Camco travel toilet, haven't tested it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:39 pm 

longy wrote:
so much ignorance here. If shtf, nobody's going to be working at the water plant or the power plant. There will be no pumps to get the water up into the water towers, so no water pressure. If you pee into the drain, it will stink to HIGH heaven unless you waste a lot of water washing it away. Just arrange something to hide you while you use a back yard latrine. Have some quicklime to kill the stink. The dirt you've dug from the trench is used to cover things after you're done your thing. Bugging in aint gonna work. There will be no water, so people in towns and cities will be forced to leave and the farms, ranches and small towns is where they will be headed. Only 3% of the population lives on farms and ranches, so you'll be outnumbered by 30 to 1. So you'll have to bug out, also. The advantage is you dont have to go far, if you're already out there. Just to your concealed dugout. All above ground buildings, vehicles, etc, will be searched, again and again, by desperate, well armed people, coming thru at various times. Packs of starving dogs will be roaming, dead bodies every where, with dogs learning to consider you to be FOOD, and spreading diseases like wildfire. if you have food or water, dogs will smell it and hang around your place. People will notice. You need a well concealed, very small dugout shelter, with lots of survival info on a kindle reader, a solar charger and lots of sedatives. Just stay there during daylight hours, for at least 6 months. Cache at least that much grain, legumes, powdered milk, Crisco, salt, and honey. Have non=hybrid seeds and know how to use sprouts.

Welcome to ZS, seems you are new around here or maybe not zantra??? The OP asked about bugging in - that does not automatically mean ZOMGWAFFLE EOTWAWKI WOLVERINES!!! .... Being prepared for zombies means being prepared for anything. A few days bug in for a storm, a riot, a flood... all different but all far more viable prospects I am pretty sure the OP has been well answered, by people who A know what they are talking about (like me) and be people who dont act like douchey teens. Go to the intro section - follow steps -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Quote:
that does not automatically mean ZOMGWAFFLE EOTWAWKI WOLVERINES!!!

Classic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:54 pm 

longy wrote:
so much ignorance here. If shtf, nobody's going to be working at the water plant or the power plant. There will be no pumps to get the water up into the water towers, so no water pressure. If you pee into the drain, it will stink to HIGH heaven unless you waste a lot of water washing it away. Just arrange something to hide you while you use a back yard latrine. Have some quicklime to kill the stink. The dirt you've dug from the trench is used to cover things after you're done your thing. Bugging in aint gonna work. There will be no water, so people in towns and cities will be forced to leave and the farms, ranches and small towns is where they will be headed. Only 3% of the population lives on farms and ranches, so you'll be outnumbered by 30 to 1. So you'll have to bug out, also. The advantage is you dont have to go far, if you're already out there. Just to your concealed dugout. All above ground buildings, vehicles, etc, will be searched, again and again, by desperate, well armed people, coming thru at various times. Packs of starving dogs will be roaming, dead bodies every where, with dogs learning to consider you to be FOOD, and spreading diseases like wildfire. if you have food or water, dogs will smell it and hang around your place. People will notice. You need a well concealed, very small dugout shelter, with lots of survival info on a kindle reader, a solar charger and lots of sedatives. Just stay there during daylight hours, for at least 6 months. Cache at least that much grain, legumes, powdered milk, Crisco, salt, and honey. Have non=hybrid seeds and know how to use sprouts.

Of course the upside of taking a lot of sedatives is that you won't have to poop as much, maybe not ever. This would make keeping the toilet running a breeze.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:31 pm 

There would have to be some sort of portopotty gunk you could shove in your toilet to mabye give you a few days before having to flush.

Wouldnt there?

Just having a google.

https://www.biomaster.com.au/products/f ... vyEALw_wcB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:54 pm 

Towanda wrote:
For apartment dwellers and others who have reasons not to dig latrines in their yards, Cleanwaste WAG bags can be used with a bucket, with a toilet, with the folding toilet seat that Cleanwaste also sells, or on their own. The powder in the bags renders the bags safe for disposal in regular trash once regular service has resumed.

(SNIP)

Have that exact system (Cleanwaste) for my Class B RV. The rig came with a cassette toilet, but the Cleanwaste system folds flat when not in use, needs no water and the bags are almost completely odor free. Beats draining a cassette into a pit toilet at the campground. Fold the bag and it goes into the dumpster - just as you would a disposable diaper.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:02 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

TacAir wrote:
Towanda wrote:
For apartment dwellers and others who have reasons not to dig latrines in their yards, Cleanwaste WAG bags can be used with a bucket, with a toilet, with the folding toilet seat that Cleanwaste also sells, or on their own. The powder in the bags renders the bags safe for disposal in regular trash once regular service has resumed.

(SNIP)

Have that exact system (Cleanwaste) for my Class B RV. The rig came with a cassette toilet, but the Cleanwaste system folds flat when not in use, needs no water and the bags are almost completely odor free. Beats draining a cassette into a pit toilet at the campground. Fold the bag and it goes into the dumpster - just as you would a disposable diaper.

Would you tell us more about the cassette toilet? If I get an sort of RV, I'm thinking about one.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:19 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
TacAir wrote:
Towanda wrote:

(SNIP)

Would you tell us more about the cassette toilet? If I get an sort of RV, I'm thinking about one.

Of all the options out there, the Thetford is IMO - the best going.

http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2350562_Cassette-Toilet-C200-CS-HR-149x235.jpg

http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uplo ... Manual.pdf worth the time to read the installation part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDunB7PU51g
demo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHp_IGHasW8
private demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPCBxQictPQ
private install how-to

Next- lower cost unit is a "portable camping toilet" where you sit on the water tank and waste cassette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBnIEvcRV0o
shows how a Thetford unit works. I had one like this, but the iCk factor (stickies on the side) and low flush rate combined with uselessness in the cold led me to the one I posted above. Cold wx doesn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMa6yTos38s
a dry flush unit avoids the trip to the in-park dump site and issues with water storage Cold is not an issue, other than the bag becoming brittle.. The replacement cassettes run ~$20 USD, depending on source. Shows starts to finish. 15 or so flushes per cassette

Finally, the low-cost 'hassock' units are plastic bag lined, fancy bucket.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ahv2pBSehHs/maxresdefault.jpg

The biggest reason I went with the folding unit shown in prior post --
The unit folds flat for storage, any of the other 'flushing' units take up considerable space, so, for van camping (I have a Eurovan camper) they make the best sense. The bags can be dropped in any trash container (legally) and so are good city and country...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks TacAir. :D

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!