It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:20 pm 

Find more about the show here
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/homestead-rescue/

Quote:
In the last decade, two million Americans have attempted to leave behind civilization in favor of life off-the-grid - but most have failed. For the hundreds of families who decide to become homesteaders, the learning curve is a steep one. Now comes new series HOMESTEAD RESCUE. In the series, struggling homesteaders across the country are turning expert homesteader Marty Raney - along with his daughter Misty Raney, a farmer, and son Matt Raney, a hunter and fisherman - to teach them the necessary skills to survive the wilderness. The stakes are high, but the Raney family is determined to prepare these families for nature's worst and set them up for success. Each family faces the ultimate decision: will they tough out their first year or pack up and return to civilization?

Marty Raney's adventures began in 1974 in the logging camps of Southeast Alaska. Marty's very first home in Alaska was not only off grid, it was off land. Over the years, the Raney family often lived without power, water, plumbing, or heat. Living without modern conveniences builds character, inspires creativity, ingenuity, resourcefulness, and an innate appreciation for all things simple, and for the Raneys, it also bonds family. Living off the land is an integral part of the Raney's lifestyle and family tradition. The Raney's live an artisan lifestyle building beautiful cabins, homes, and structures with the simplest of tools, which is the essence of the homesteading and off grid construction, and they have left a legacy of craftsmanship across Alaska.

As new homesteaders learn the hard way, surviving in the wild is perilous. Even the most resourceful and determined families often succumb to their first winter, monsoon or drought season. Many families are not equipped with the skills, experience or knowledge of how to grow food, find water, harness power or deal with the threat of predators. For these struggling homesteaders, the Raney family brings hope and a second chance. The Raneys will attempt to teach these families the essential skills on how to survive - and thrive - in the wilderness. Each week, they will visit a new family and work closely with them to sustain their homestead through hunting, fishing, gardening, building maintenance, protection and problem solving. But will the Raneys set these families up for success or will the wilderness prove too tough and force the families to call it quits?

Just watched the first episode of this. Some typical reality show hyping drama BS of course, but I really dig the topic so hope that it doesn't fall into the drama pit too badly. The first episode was OK nothing amazing. But enjoyable enough to have me come back next week for another taste. The big thing of course with homesteading, making sure you have the basic necessities covered. Water, shelter, food, defense, sanitation, power. This first episode they didn't have water, food, or defense covered. The Raneys came in and got the homesteaders started on these basics, and I really like that they did do a follow up of how they were doing afterwards at the end. Again not expecting much from this show, well not true, I am expecting them to misrepresent folks and play up any drama they can exploit to get high ratings. But I am not expecting this show to be an amazing homesteader how to guide, more just entertainment with homesteading as the general topic made for the general public rather than true homesteaders.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:21 am 

http://www.alaskawintercabin.com/tent_in_tok.html

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/genera ... laska.html

Some actually live in tents all summer long.

Spent too many weeks at Ft Greely in one of these bad boys.

Homesteading is hard work, sadly, a lot of people don't understand that.

Should be a fun series if they don't overdo the drama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:02 am 

TacAir wrote:
Should be a fun series if they don't overdo the drama

It is "reality" TV so go in expecting some groan worthy drama overdoing, the producers of these shows just can't seem to help doing it. The 1st episode wasn't too bad, but definitely there. They tried to play up the wife being a dreamer and not having her plans grounded in reality, as well as her being a "want her her way" type and willing to say "no this is what I want" person. But the Raney woman sort of bit that drama moment in the bud by doing a monologue to the camera about how she likes this in the woman and how she is the same way etc... I have a feeling the Raney's will be fighting the producers a lot on the drama issue. Trying to lessen the drama and interjecting ways of defusing drama moments the producers would want to exploit.

As for tenting on a homestead. I am heading over to my new homestead land with my 216 sq ft canvas tent next week to start working on clearing and prepping the place.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:12 pm 

Watched the first episode. Trying to wrap my head around the homesteaders saying they had been "Planning this for 15 years."

Either they are stupid, or they didn't really research/plan much of anything to live "off grid". Didn't even have the basics set up ie; food/water etc... let alone a long term plan to actually, well, you know... survive on the homestead.

Yes, grand idea- let's keep the livestock at the neighbors 10 miles away. Driving 80+ miles a day for food and water? Oh boy. :roll:

I will probably watch further episodes to see what else they build to help out, but not for the "reality". I did really like that green house they built in to the side of the hill and the water tank gravity system.

Just my .01 fwiw.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:29 pm 

Yep that couple seemed pretty unprepared in my view. But hey maybe they had unforeseen things come up, and illness or other problems could mess up well laid plans. Though my thinking is they "planned" to get land, and didn't plan how to turn land into a functioning homestead. As they explained in the show, the husband is a live in the moment guy and the wife is a dreamer of distant future. So they didn't have the ability to bridge the two and go from the moment to the long term plans by setting up solid plans for how to take things step by step.

I am just starting to build a homestead, and I am looking at addressing the basics and building infrastructure (water, power, storage, fencing, livestock buildings, garden space defined, etc) in the first year. Not even worrying about livestock or gardening until I get the infrastructure done. But then my place is not 80 miles to town either, town is only a 15-20 min drive away.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:31 pm 

NapalmMan67 wrote:
I will probably watch further episodes to see what else they build to help out, but not for the "reality". I did really like that green house they built in to the side of the hill and the water tank gravity system.

Yep that is my feeling, the show might be good for seeing the solutions they come up with to help folks. There might be some good ideas in that to glean some ideas I might be able to use, but otherwise it is just entertainment.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:16 pm 

I watched episode one after reading this post. That couple was a little out of their depth; who would buy up a place and move to it without having water?

The green-house in the hill was a good idea...

MT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:28 pm 

I think most of the folks featured on this show will end up being "out of their depth" otherwise they wouldn't need to be rescued. So I sort of expect to see people who have messed up or just not planned well. It is what it is. A show about people who need help and the crew who comes to help them out of their jam.

Though it still seems amazing anyone would move into a place without having figured out water yet. Water is such a critical necessity that is is the #1 thing that is told time and time again for folks looking at land for homesteading, or prepper retreats, or whatever. The most common advice is make sure there is at least one of these a year round stream, well, year round spring, pond, or lake if not then just walk away from the land it doesn't matter how good a price if it doesn't have water. Sure you might have the cash to drill a well, but no guarantee you will hit water. Sure you could do water catchment, but rain can be fickle.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:40 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

You don't remember this guy Marty as the guy who decided to shoot a 200 lb halibut with his pistol and ends up shooting a hole in his boat? if that wasn't staged (which I'm pretty sure it was) then he is an idiot. Or he is an idiot to let them talk him into staging such outrageous act!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd-SrU7ZKQc

Either way I am sure that it all staged. i got to know a woman whose daughter is the executive producer or something of the shows and she told me that is was mostly staged for best effects.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:42 pm 

Set up or not, at least the program provides good information and shows how rugged real homesteading can be. Hubby and I turned to the homesteading life over time after never having experienced it as children. My parents think we are nuts. Regardless, a mentor could have saved us some time and money and probably still could. There's good information in this show.

That said, what the hell? These people were raising goats and food on-grid and didn't know they would need copious amounts of water available to make it work? Seriously?? They don't just have 15 years of theory bouncing around in their heads, they actually have experience to some degree with what they are trying to accomplish. I don't think it's possible that they are as clueless as they are made to seem.

Then again, we've been homesteading for several years and researching even longer and I'm not sure we would do all that well off-grid even with our experience. I still know enough to make sure water is an abundantly available resource. Our first major change to our property was putting in an artesian well and we kept the shallow well for backup (and to save money since the local laws say use it or pay to get rid of it). We can switch between the two to the house and the shallow goes to the outbuildings. When the shallow well dried up one year in drought conditions, we still had water while the neighbors were trucking it in. There's no homesteading without water.

Also, the wife on the show said, "if we had to survive off of this land, we would starve" which implied to me that they're not really as desperate as the show makes out. The wording is just off to me, like maybe they have some sort of fallback if things get really hairy.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:09 pm 

doitnstyle1 wrote:
You don't remember this guy Marty as the guy who decided to shoot a 200 lb halibut with his pistol and ends up shooting a hole in his boat? if that wasn't staged (which I'm pretty sure it was) then he is an idiot. Or he is an idiot to let them talk him into staging such outrageous act!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd-SrU7ZKQc

Either way I am sure that it all staged. i got to know a woman whose daughter is the executive producer or something of the shows and she told me that is was mostly staged for best effects.

Yes, I remember after watching the vid. I told my wife that he looked familiar, just couldn't place him where.

Staged or not- good to know he "taught my kids everything I know". lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:48 am 

I get going off-grid, but why are these people just up and quitting their jobs before getting their homestead together? If you have a good job making good money, keep working until you have your fences up and you house build, etc, etc.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:45 am 

Because they watched a lot of Youtube videos and read a lot on the Internet.
In reality because they have no idea what they getting into, I have friend who moved whole family down Southwest just to learn his kid and him are allergic to the point of needing a visit to hospital and breathing treatment on weekly basis.

People do stupid stuff all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:57 am 

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:15 pm 

I watched both eps. If you go in with the premise that 90% of what is shown is mostly bullshit then it becomes more enjoyable.

I would NEVER homestead where there was no easily accessible water, that is just setting yourself up for eventual fail. About the greenhouse built into the hill, I was thinking that the homesteader's living situation would have been vastly improved if they would have run with the idea of making the greenhouse their new home, and turning the nasty hovel they were currently living in into a goat shelter.

I think I would have quadrupled the overall length of the new greenhouse so there could be food production and a comfortable rock/earth-sheltered living space.

Where the hovel was also seemed flat enough to put in another, larger garden and with the benefit of being right next to the goats there would be an ample supply of fertilizer for food production.

Seems like a no-brainer, at least to me.

-urban

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:08 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Honestly I get the desire to live a more simple and uncomplicated life.

What I do not get is why people think living in an isolated area without any basic "conveniences" would be simple and uncomplicated.

If I may suggest, live off grid by:

1) Turn off the TV, Netflix and Amazon.
2) Turn off social media (facebook, twitter, etc.)
3) Change your cell phone # and give it only to the bare essential people.
4) Stop texting completely.
5) Spend the extra time gained by exercising your body physically and your brain by reading books.
6) Spend more time with your family.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:50 pm 

There's still the desire to be self-sufficient for a lot of us beyond eliminating noise and social media from our lives. I just don't think it's at all feasable to expect you can just quit your job and jump into self-sufficiency with no experience and no infrastructure to speak of. Having a piece of land isn't nearly enough.

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:53 am 

raptor wrote:

What I do not get is why people think living in an isolated area without any basic "conveniences" would be simple and uncomplicated.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:20 pm 

So I have watched 4 episodes now. There seems to be a reoccurring theme, no water on property. This last one, I can't fully blame the family. The son bought desert land for his parents, they planned to sell the home and use the money to drill a well and for a lot of other infrastructure, but then the economy tanked, he lost his job, and the bank foreclosed on the home. They had a workable plan, life just threw them a curve ball and they had been trying to get by as best as they could.

But seems like failing to have water is going to be the most common issue and problem on this show. Which is just sad since that is the #1 tip given, make sure you have water. It is not like the info is not out there. I have been hearing it for 15-20 years while I have been researching building a homestead. I heard it so many times I was starting to wonder why it was said so much, guess this show tells me why. Seems there are folks who just don't prioritize the water enough.

It was funny seeing the Raney family in the desert. At least they admitted too that they had no experience or knowledge of desert homesteading. If they had tried to BS their way through pretending to be experts but having never take a step in a desert before, it would have been really sad. Once again the conflict of trying to talk the people into what needs to be done. Another reoccurring theme of the show.

Still not a great show, but I do find it fun to check in on and get some laughs and see the projects they work on. I do think it might be a good show for the masses, as there is a new back to land movement and a little reality check like this show gives might help prevent some horrible disasters in homesteading.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

"Desert" and "water" are like opposing magnets. Way back when my folks bought some land on speculation and the topic came up recently so I dug into the background. Bad news. Not only is the area awfully poor on water but there land is located above an old alkaline dry lake bed. Even if there was much water down there it would have to be heavily treated. The area is remote and exposed such that any buildings constructed would have to be akin to a fortress unless someone was there 24/7. Sigh. My short-lived survival retreat daydream evaporated with the water. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 pm 

In the episode the neighbors property had a natural spring 500 ft from their border. So when the family had bought the property they were pretty sure there would be water found on the property but they hit that issue of the house getting taken from them and a loss of financial capitol. That sort of stopped them dead, not being able to afford well drilling. At least they had actually only been 9 miles from town and were hauling multiple 55 gallon drums of water rather than the extreme distance the 1st episode had from town and only hauling a small amount of water each trip.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:26 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

raptor wrote:

5) Spend the extra time gained by exercising your body physically and your brain by reading books.

Related content http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2016/05/ ... tment.html

I saw the tail end of this show whilst channel hopping the people in the desert. I will say the drama aside and obvious staging of it the people helping seemed to offer some solutions - of course what we never see are the advisors behind the scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:40 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

raptor wrote:

Good list!

1) No Amazon, no Netflix, no cable, no dish. Watch a couple hours a week on average of local broadcasts.
2) Don't use them but what about being on this forum? :mrgreen:
3) Only the bare essential folks have my personal number.
4) Not completely but 10-15 texts a week is below the line
5) Love to read actual print! I run at least 10 miles a week and throw in other activities too.
6) Always at least one daily meal together as well as camping trips and regular get-togethers