Best Foods to Preserve?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Winchester

Best Foods to Preserve?

Post by Winchester » Mon May 23, 2016 9:10 pm

I've always wondered which foods last the longest and with what preservation method.

The caveat is that it has to be 'practical.' IE: I don't have the capital to buy a $4-digit freeze drying machine.

I have a garden and grow various vegetables and would like people's insight and experience.

What works for you?
Military Gear, Clothing, and Equipment:
http://shop.ebay.com/guardian223/m.html ... ksid=p3686

KYZHunters

Re: Best Foods to Preserve?

Post by KYZHunters » Tue May 24, 2016 7:00 am

I think potatoes are the easiest. Carefully harvested and dried they stay good over winter with no problem. They are easy to grow and prolific. Obviously, you'll need to supplement your diet nutritionally but potatoes are a good start.

Onions store well too and the process for harvesting and storing are similar so they are a natural pairing.
Winchester wrote:I've always wondered which foods last the longest and with what preservation method.

The caveat is that it has to be 'practical.' IE: I don't have the capital to buy a $4-digit freeze drying machine.

I have a garden and grow various vegetables and would like people's insight and experience.

What works for you?
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue May 24, 2016 7:07 pm

The "three sisters": beans, corn, and squash. They grow well together, and are pretty easy to preserve (just dehydrate; cut the squash thin or shred it). They're also a good nutritional base.

Some herbs, for flavor. Peppers, thyme, oregano; whatever grows well in your area. Most dry at least tolerably (fresh is best, but dried is better than none).

Lean meat. Dried lean meat lasts a good while, a long time vacuum sealed, and a damned long time vacuum sealed and frozen. I keep an eye out for lean cuts on sale and make jerky, but for pure prepping you could probably just brine and dry for storage. (It'd probably also last longer...the gremlins in my house keep stealing my jerky.)

Throw all of that (with KYZHunters' potatoes and onions) in a pot of hot water, and you have a pretty good stew. ;)

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue May 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Don't forget tomatoes! They are easy to grow and like potatoes are rather prolific. You can mix them with onions, cilantro and some vinegar to make salsa. Peal and slice them and can them they are good for a long time. Puree them and make tomato stock for soup bases. Cook them down slowly with salt and you have a nice tomato sauce for pasta.

Lots of different things you can do to preserve them and they are just so damn tasty.

Another that I love to can is beets. Some people love them others hate them, but they are easy to grow and can.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Winchester

Post by Winchester » Wed May 25, 2016 1:23 am

Awesome input everyone.

Thank you for the knowledge!
Military Gear, Clothing, and Equipment:
http://shop.ebay.com/guardian223/m.html ... ksid=p3686

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”