Homestead land in the WA Okanogan

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: Homestead land in the WA Okanogan

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 03, 2019 12:30 pm

NT2C, yes I know a lot more now about hauling equipment now and the whole thing was filled with warning signs for anyone who has a little knowledge. I am a heavy equipment operator, but not hauler. I can run the equipment, but knew next to nothing about hauling or loading. This was a very big learning experience. Thankfully one without out any injury or serious accidents. Just a lot of frustration.

That 1st trailer should never have been rented to me, that was absolutely not acceptable. The tires were 35 psi!! something I realized afterwards was a clear sign it was not up to the job. The only reason I even paid for the damages, was I had verbally agreed at the onset to pay for any damage. I am a man of my word, but not one to accept blatant rip offs. So when they tried to charge double the cost of Les Schawb, I was not having any of that.

I was relying on my neighbor as someone to tell me what was ok and not, and should not have put faith in him. I told him multiple times I would rather leave the dozer on the side of the road than cause an accident. But he kept insisting we could do it.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Just as a rule of thumb, if you see those white spoked wheels on a trailer it's best to take a really good look at the load rating of the tires mounted on them. Tires on the trailer need to be trailer rated (stiffer and more robust sidewalls) with a proper "ST" or "LT" size designation.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 03, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks, I will keep that in mind for the future. It was a lot of cringe but thankfully got home safe. Especially amazing considering we had mountain passes to deal with and a long journey.

If I knew back then what I do now, I would never have used either of those trailers. I likely would have paid a hauling service or found someone with a proper trailer and rig to haul it with.

I am seriously considering getting a Duece and a Half as a dedicated hauling rig for my dozer. Plus they are just cool multi fuel awesome vehicles that would be amazing in SHTF. Though before I can drive a Duece up my road I need to do some serious road maintenance, which is a huge part of why I got the dozer.

Probably still a couple yrs away from buying a new truck, and it is either a Duece and Half, or the old 1 ton Dodge Power wagon (the ones with duel PTO). Eventually I want both, but which I get first will likely have a lot to do with hauling that dozer, as well as availability of either in my general area. I have already been window shopping and both cost about the same for a decent turn key usable condition version.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Yeah, either of those would be nice. Not sure the Power Wagon would haul the dozer on the right trailer though unless it was a dually. I know my 1 tom GMC dually could, but performance would be "arthritic snail pace" and it likely would not get it up some of the steeper hills in your area. An F-450 would work, or a 550, but they get pretty expensive.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri May 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Curious what the dozer weighs? I’m seriously considering getting s goose neck trailer to haul the tractor and some other stuff.

I’m in agreement with NT2C, deuce and a half Are badass but, but they aren’t great for hauling. I’m not sure even your power wagon would do well.

I would try and get a more modern truck. I was lucky and got to use my house money for my truck, but I was hauling over 12k on a triple axle trailer going over the pass doing the speed limit.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:12 pm
Curious what the dozer weighs? I’m seriously considering getting s goose neck trailer to haul the tractor and some other stuff.

I’m in agreement with NT2C, deuce and a half Are badass but, but they aren’t great for hauling. I’m not sure even your power wagon would do well.

I would try and get a more modern truck. I was lucky and got to use my house money for my truck, but I was hauling over 12k on a triple axle trailer going over the pass doing the speed limit.
Looking at it and going by some of the Cats and stuff we had, that one is probably 5-6 ton, with the backhoe.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 03, 2019 4:43 pm

The dozer itself weighs aprox 10K, and the hoe about 2-3K.

I don't mind going slow, and I wouldn't be hauling the dozer any great distances.

As for modern trucks, yuck. No style and I definitely don't like electronics. If you need to attach a computer to it to work on it, then it is not my cup of tea. I have had 3 vehicles, a VW squareback, my Honda CRV, and my Chevy Silverado. The CRV and Chevy both have way too much electronics and have totally turned me off of such things.

The old 1 ton Powerwagons can haul some weight they were farm vehicles, as can the Duece and Halfs. Yes they go slow but that is ok. As I said I had a VW squareback, I am used to being unable to even go the speed limit on highways.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 03, 2019 4:49 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:20 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Looking at it and going by some of the Cats and stuff we had, that one is probably 5-6 ton, with the backhoe.
ineffableone wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:43 pm
The dozer itself weighs aprox 10K, and the hoe about 2-3K.
Nailed it. 8-)

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed May 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Well I started working the dirt road going up to my easement road. But started having trouble with the dozer over heating. A little time looking things over, and it seems the radiator cap was failing allowing the coolant to overflow and then the engine to over heat.

So I just picked up a new radiator cap and hopefully this problem will stop and I can get more work done fixing the road so it is easier to get in and out of my property. And then I will be moving on to earthworks on the property.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Sorry to hear about the over heating issue, hopefully an easy fix and you can get some real work done! excited to see more of your progress soon!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”