Medieval McDonalds?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Burncycle

Medieval McDonalds?

Post by Burncycle » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:41 pm

The average McDonalds serves approx 2,000 people per day, and I feel like sustaining something like that would take a staggering amount of resources but I've never been able to really quantify it. If you were to take away modern infrastructure, but wanted essentially a fast food burger joint like McDonalds and had to sustain it by sourcing entirely locally (hence the middle ages comment), what sort of resources would be required to sustain it?

Specifically can anyone think of a rough estimate on how much land to support the crops, livestock, laborers, etc to make sure a single facility could stay open year round?

Regards

bufordtjustice

Re: Medieval McDonalds?

Post by bufordtjustice » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:11 pm

Per the interwebz, an average cow will supposedly provide 1600 servings at 4 oz each. I was also told to budget approximately 3 acres per cow (in the Midwest) to provide adequate ground to prevent overgrazing.

Hope this helps. Interesting thread by the way.

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:47 am

Found a quote on another site regarding how much wheat to make a loaf of bread (which we can extrapolate buns from I guess!)
The average yield per acre of winter wheat is 82.0 (2.46 tons, 4920 lbs) bushels, while spring wheat is 78 (2.34 tons, 4680 lbs) bushels per acre.

45 lbs of wheat will yield roughly 158 cups of ground flour; white will yield a bit more than red.

1 lb of wheat = roughly 3 cups = roughly 4 cups of flour

1 acre = 43, 560 square feet

1 square foot will yield roughly .112 lbs of winter wheat or .107 lbs of spring wheat.

For 4 cups of flour you would need to plant roughly 9 square feet.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:30 am

Moomie's hamburger bun recipe takes 3 1⁄4 cups flour for 8 buns.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:28 am

This is an interesting thread. Don't think there was not trade during the MA's. After the collapse of the Roman Empire trade became a lot harder but not impossible.

Sesame are not grown in the US and would require extensive trade to procure them. They would be considered exotic. Other items that are not commonly produced in the US:
- Tea
- Coffee
- Cocoa
- Some of the fruits and nuts used in shakes and ice creams

Most of the chemicals used in the production of milk shakes and other foods and beverages are widely available in the US but would require some doing to source locally. The plastics, papers, wrappers, boxes, printed material, styrofoam, etc would require a small city to support.

Potatoes are only grown in certain areas, normally not near where fresh fruits and vegetables are available year around.

The best bet for a site would probably be Northern Florida, Gulf Coast or California. You get a long growing season, good trade access, high current levels of agriculture production and high levels of industrialization.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:44 pm

I feel like this thread has some knowledge but so much fun in it at the same time. It's like when the teacher would roll in the tape player for watching movies in school :clap:

ArmySGT.

Post by ArmySGT. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:11 pm

You could take some inspiration from the Romans. Little snack bars (thermopolia) that sold wine, beer, breads, pickles, olives, and other things abound. Some even appear to be a chain resturaunt with one owner building several across many towns and villages.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:35 pm

I'd need approximately 3,700 serfs from my vast fiefdom to assemble the obligatory ketchup packets using goat intestines.

~ 2,000 shepherds to raise the goats
~ 1,000 farmers to grow and harvest the tomatoes, make vinegar and other ingredients
~ 100 butchers to slaughter the goats and collect the intestines
~ 100 seamstresses to sew the ends of the short segments of intestine
~ 500 able bodied children to squirt the ketchup into the tiny intestine segments before returning to the seamstresses for final sealing.

Verily, whither thou a more bountiful apportionment of ketchup to accompany thy burgher and fryes for thine long journey ahead?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:54 pm

majorhavoc wrote:I'd need approximately 3,700 serfs from my vast fiefdom to assemble the obligatory ketchup packets using goat intestines.

~ 2,000 shepherds to raise the goats
~ 1,000 farmers to grow and harvest the tomatoes, make vinegar and other ingredients
~ 100 butchers to slaughter the goats and collect the intestines
~ 100 seamstresses to sew the ends of the short segments of intestine
~ 500 able bodied children to squirt the ketchup into the tiny intestine segments before returning to the seamstresses for final sealing.

Verily, whither thou a more bountiful apportionment of ketchup to accompany thy burgher and fryes for thine long journey ahead?

The trade guild would demand that you employ double that number.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:12 pm

There is a Korean movie this reminds me of. A guy is stranded on an island close enough to see land, but too far to swim. He really wants a certain korean dish so he begins to grow all the plants on his island. I think he gets seeds from floating stryafoam containers of leftovers to plant or something like that. But it's fun to watch his whole life goal is to do something so common to everyone else.
The future is for those who prepare.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Slugg wrote:But it's fun to watch his whole life goal is to do something so common to everyone else.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”