dandy lions, dan del ions

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gronch

dandy lions, dan del ions

Post by gronch » Mon May 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Should I pluck the dandelions out of my yard and eat them, or just mow them up? This is just my first random thought of the day.
Awesome-sauce.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: dandy lions, dan del ions

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 11, 2015 1:47 pm

Good question, do you like very strong peppery flavored greens? If so sure pick them, if not mow them.

Also do you like getting drunk? If so pick the heads (only the yellow flower avoid any green), ferment it into dandelion wine. If you don't then mow them.

Lastly, if you have lots of them perhaps you should harvest them for latex? Home made condoms made from dandelion latex is all the rage these days :lol:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Halfapint wrote:Good question, do you like very strong peppery flavored greens? If so sure pick them, if not mow them.

Also do you like getting drunk? If so pick the heads (only the yellow flower avoid any green), ferment it into dandelion wine. If you don't then mow them.

Lastly, if you have lots of them perhaps you should harvest them for latex? Home made condoms made from dandelion latex is all the rage these days :lol:

Now if only there were a way to combine all three into a decent package....
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon May 11, 2015 3:20 pm

Dandelion Fritters recipe, here - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=43930
Quoting myself from years ago:

Dandelions are wonderful...
everything from roasted roots as a coffee extender, to tender leaves and flowers in salads or brewed into put-you-under-the-table wine.
The sap makes a latex-like glue.
If allergic to latex though, please be careful of dandelion and milkweed sap.
-
One cup chopped dandelions- (55 g) is a serving - http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-dan ... 00000.html
-
If you want to make a simple soup as a side dish, you can combine vegetable broth, a few bunches of dandelion greens, some garlic and your favorite spices. If you want to make this soup your main meal, you can add your favorite beans and some brown rice to the pot. These ingredients will provide an excellent source of dietary fiber and vegan protein.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/35363 ... lion-soup/
-
From these 2 threads -
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=79904&p=1765643
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75274
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Tue May 12, 2015 8:30 am

I often give the greens to my chickens---they love them and they're good for them

gronch

Post by gronch » Tue May 12, 2015 2:08 pm

thanks ZG and everyone.
Awesome-sauce.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

I have a book somewhere that has a recipe for dandelion jam. I can go find it if anybody is interested.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Anianna wrote:I have a book somewhere that has a recipe for dandelion jam. I can go find it if anybody is interested.
Of course I'm interested!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Wed May 13, 2015 8:34 pm

The best way I've found to prepare dandelions is as follows:

1) Pull several plants up (the root and all...just wrap your hands around all/most of the leaves, and remove the wholeplant from the ground)
2) Cut the root/stem section off and discard (although they are edible, but, I haven't ate them yet...not that I'm opposed, but the leaves are the best part, IMHO)
3) Separate the leaves and save for Wine/Jam

Now, here comes the part that I like...

4) Rinse leaves in water; strain.
5) Place leaves in pot of warm water, add bullion cube of your choice, and boil on high for about 5 mins
6) Let simmer, stirring occassionaly, for about 15 minutes.
7) Strain, and enjoy nice spinach like greens, courtesy of your back yard.

Most people grow enough dandelions in their yard to regularly supplement store bought veggies 2-3 meals a week. Think of them as a camouflaged SHTF garden :0)
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed May 13, 2015 9:18 pm

duodecima wrote:
Anianna wrote:I have a book somewhere that has a recipe for dandelion jam. I can go find it if anybody is interested.
Of course I'm interested!
Well then, the recipe is from Preserving Wild Foods: A Modern Forager's Recipes for Curing, Canning, Smoking, and Pickling by Matthew Weingarten and Raquel Pelzel. I was slightly mistaken - it is a recipe for dandelion jelly rather than jam.
Dandelion Jelly
Makes 1 quart (four 8 ounce jars)

The faint straw scent of the dandelions gets a subtly sweet boost from grated Golden Delicious apples, which in addition to their sweetness contribute natural pectin. I add some extra powdered pectin to ensure the jelly sets to a soft jiggle. It's nice paired with a soft bloomy-rind cheese or as a parfait with buttery sponge cake and ripe berries.

In a large pot, bring to a boil
5 cups water
2 Golden Delicious apples, shredded (with skin) on the fine-hole side of a box grater
2 cups dandelion petals

Turn off the heat and set aside the mixture to cool, about 2 hours.

Once the mixture is cool, strain it through a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl. With a rubber spatula, press on the mash to extract as much liquid as possible. Measure the liquid; you should have about 3 cups. If you fall short, add enough cold tap water to make up the difference, then pour the liquid into a medium pot. (If you have too much, pour the excess over ice, add a drop of honey, and enjoy as a cold tisane).

Add
2 1/4 cups sugar

Over medium-low heat, bring the mixture to a boil. As it's heating, in a small bowl, whisk together
2 1/4 cups sugar
2 tbs powdered pectin

Add the pectin-sugar mixture to the boiling liquid, along with
1/4 cup lemon juice (from 1 lemon)

Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a rapid boil. Skim off any foam that rises to the top, then continue cooking for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and divide the jelly among four sterilized 8-ounce jars(see page 19). Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks, or follow the instruction for canning on page 21, and process the jars for 15 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
It's a pretty nifty book. It has several forage recipes as well as recipes that include foraged ingredients to go with food you wouldn't necessarily forage.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed May 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Dandelions are one of the plants researchers are trying to use as a renewable rubber resource. The company Apollo Vredestein has been making tires from dandelion sap. There were three plants in the running, as I recall, but the dandelion was most climate tolerant and so was the forerunner last I heard.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed May 13, 2015 9:37 pm

ZombieGranny wrote: The sap makes a latex-like glue.
If allergic to latex though, please be careful of dandelion and milkweed sap.
From what I read, rubber from dandelion sap is preferred in certain medical, dental, and cosmetic applications as it is hypoallergenic. Definitely worth being certain, though, if you are allergic to latex.

∩(=^_^=)

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed May 13, 2015 9:42 pm

That dandelion jam sounds pretty good. I treat the greens like I do most greens. Boil until soft, let cool and toss with oil and lemon juice or vinegar.

Super tasty, although since I now live smack dab in the middle of a major metropolis, in an apartment, it just doesn't seem worth tracking them down...

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Confucius wrote:That dandelion jam sounds pretty good. I treat the greens like I do most greens. Boil until soft, let cool and toss with oil and lemon juice or vinegar.

Super tasty, although since I now live smack dab in the middle of a major metropolis, in an apartment, it just doesn't seem worth tracking them down...
Yeah, first thing younger daughter did at tee ball tonite was bring me a clover blossom. She's a picky eater but the fact that the petals are sweet somehow won her over. Had the discussion (again) that we don't eat the edibles from the parks because we're not sure about pesticides. (I am, actually pretty damn sure there aren't any in these parks. Not the point, with a grade school child, we only eat the flowers from our yard or Grandpa's...) I'm sure you'd have an even bigger problem with that.

I wonder if you can make jam out of clover... Fake Edit, internet has clover jelly recipes, which look to use the same proportions as the dandilon jelly. Hmm, more summer projects...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu May 14, 2015 2:33 am

duodecima wrote:clover blossom.
My kid's love clover. Which is ok as we have tons of it. Literally.
Dandelions are ok. The youngest girl & I like the younger plants raw, but the rest of my family want them boiled to cut down on the bitterness a bit.

I have never tried dandelion preserves. May have to try them. Right now we have acres of them growing in the yard...
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu May 14, 2015 9:45 am

I leave our clover for our bees, but I do use dandelions. We also have lemon balm. I'm wondering if dandelion and lemon balm would go well together in anything.

∩(=^_^=)

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Thu May 14, 2015 10:14 am

Notes from the book The Herbal Kitchen by Kami McBride

Dandelion root. Claimed to enhance overall wellness. Contains minerals and electrolytes. Dig up, wash, chop and add fresh to foods. Can be used in a soak or bath. Enhances digestion. Contains inulin which nourishes beneficial bacteria. Supports healthy liver and gallbladder. Improves blood filtration.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu May 14, 2015 10:37 am

I roast dandelion roots (brown all through) grind them up and dump maybe a cup of them in the newly opened coffee can.
Nobody ever noticed.
Most folks seem to love my coffee.

I put lemon balm sprigs in iced tea, Koolaid, & lemonade pitchers in the fridge and remove when they get wilted, I figure by then the goodness has been infused.
You can steep herb leaves, flowers & evergreen needles in hot water like you make tea, and use the liquid to add to drinks and recipes if you have folks who object to leaves or petals.
Leaves and petals go well in simple cookies like shortbread.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”