Reduce/Reuse/Recycle... water

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Reduce/Reuse/Recycle... water

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:53 am

The thread regarding California turning back into a desert and several others recently, makes me think a thread on reducing/reusing/recycling water might be a good one to start.
-
What do you do to take care of your water?

Rain barrels?
Grey water system for your garden?
Slop buckets in the sinks?
Tippy-taps?
Pond to catch runoff?
Catch pollutants before they reach a water source?

Let's brainstorm ideas!
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

KYZHunters

Re: Reduce/Reuse/Recycle... water

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:33 am

a lot of the above.

I have six of these on my downspouts. Ugly as sin but that's over 1,500 gallons of water right there. Even if it doesn't rain, morning condensation provides quite a few gallons of water a day. They've frozen solid a few winters in a row and are still sound
I have another 3,500 gallon steel tank that is fed off the roof of one of my barns. I had two ,but one had a catastrophic rust through. The steel tank feeds frost free waterers for livestock.
We rehabbed a spring about a decade ago that feeds a stock tank as well; the excess goes into a half-acre pond and I've got another half-acre pond that is fed by runoff. Worse case, I've got a year-round creek that runs around about a quarter of my property but the e. coli levels from straight pipe septics upstream make it virtually unusable without serious treatment.

All that being said, we are very conscious of water use and have replaced all of our appliances and fixtures with water conservation in mind. We do a slop bucket but that's more for the pigs than saving water. If I were to build a new home I'd have a dedicated gray water loop to flush toilets with.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:34 pm

It's nice to know that those large cubes can freeze several times in a row. I may have to look into those.

I have standard rain barrels (plastic) and they can freeze the first winter, but due to the stretch, the second time they freeze they tend to split down the side.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:08 pm

ZMace wrote:It's nice to know that those large cubes can freeze several times in a row. I may have to look into those.

I have standard rain barrels (plastic) and they can freeze the first winter, but due to the stretch, the second time they freeze they tend to split down the side.
In our area you can get them used with plumbing attached (valve etc) for around $75. They are used to ship a wide variety of chemicals so you have to be careful what you're buying.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:33 pm

I built this mess. It's still running just fine. I have to mess with the float switch and clean the filter occasionally.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=112847
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Good topic!

I have rain barrels but honestly have little need of them unless the tap water shuts off because of ...well the rain. :D

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:15 pm

The Japanese face the same issue set.

reuse of hand wash water

smaller bath tub and a change of how one washes.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:47 pm

Water is a real issue...and, like the decline of oil supplies in ~2050, seems to be an issue we'll just "pretend doesn't exist".

While I have no current catchment system/recycle system, I did build a simple one using some tin roofing and PVC to channel the water to a collection and then purification point. My young ones destroyed that though. I turn water off when not in use, don't water the grass, etc.

Anyways, tagged for interest...if you don't need a "water maximization system" yet, your kids definitely will...
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:33 pm

I really need to get off my butt and install that rain barrel. I keep putting it off. Not this year!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:25 pm

I would like a commode system that stores and uses grey water for flushing. If you take a shower, your water should not go down the drain, but into a holding tank for the toilet. I like the handwash water going into the commode for flushing, but it should come from every sink and perhaps appliances such as the washer, as well. I would do something like this in our house if I had any clue how.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:04 pm

These are freaking awesome. Why they are not required in new construction in the southwest is beyond my understanding...

http://inhabitat.com/sloans-innovative- ... rop-count/
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:18 am

Dawgboy wrote:These are freaking awesome. Why they are not required in new construction in the southwest is beyond my understanding...

http://inhabitat.com/sloans-innovative- ... rop-count/
That's a start, but I'm thinking something bigger, more like this. I think all homes should be build with a full grey water reclamation system. Cloud 10 Rainwater Harvesting and Grey Water Reclamation Systems harvests both rain and grey water into treatment tanks. I think that would be ideal for farm use. Think of all the landscaping and farm projects that could use grey water and rainwater effectively.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”