Finally Did It!

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AlphaKilo47
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, World War Z, Dead Snow, 28 Weeks Later, Re-Animator, Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Resident Evil

Re: Finally Did It!

Post by AlphaKilo47 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Congratulations CorpsmanUp! :clap:

You and your wife are embarking on a wonderful journey of self-sufficiency. Owning land is one of the greatest things that a person can hope for. It is hard work but extremely satisfying and I know you and your family will appreciate what you're doing for many years to come.

Mike :mrgreen:
"I'm your Huckleberry"
CERT member
Skywarn
General Class Amateur Radio Operator - KD8WWZ
Student of Self Sufficiency and AK Aficionado

“an elderly camper realizes, with heart-skipping dismay, that during his afternoon bowel movement, he is unwittingly shitting on a zombie.”
― Robert Kirkman, The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Started with this:

Then went to the Amish greenery and now have this:

I've tended gardens before - nothing major - just helped out when people needed it. I have never started one and seen it through to the end. We have tomatoes (large and grape variety), green peppers, jalapenos, and cucumbers. My daughter plans on putting some carrots in there once the Amish have some out.

Kind of embarrassed to admit that I'm extremely excited and always have fun when I'm watering the raised beds.

Daughter was able to see her first turtle on the property!

We think he was making his way from the front pond to the back one. I see them sunning and poking their heads out every now and then. With Spring in full bloom all the critters are out and about. I love drinking my coffee outside on the back porch watching the wildlife going about their business. Saw a herd of deer go through my driveway and into the woods a few nights ago.

I have to rank this as one of the best decisions I have made. Moving out here has definitely soothed my soul a bit!

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Very nice set up for your garden !
And if any of you eat radishes, they grow real fast so the kids don't have to wait forever on them.
Just plant a little row around the edge and they will be out in a month or so. That way the kids can reach to water/pick them easy.

CorpsmanUp wrote:Daughter was able to see her first turtle on the property!

We think he was making his way from the front pond to the back one. I see them sunning and poking their heads out every now and then. With Spring in full bloom all the critters are out and about. I love drinking my coffee outside on the back porch watching the wildlife going about their business. Saw a herd of deer go through my driveway and into the woods a few nights ago.

I have to rank this as one of the best decisions I have made. Moving out here has definitely soothed my soul a bit!
:clap:

Now, when skunks cross the driveway it isn't quite as soothing...
Last edited by procyon on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm

That's so awesome man- I'm really happy for you and your family.

Hope to follow your example myself here soon.
WWSD?

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Thought I would update this thread.

My garden has been going nuts. I water every day or so and pull weeds.

I get this almost daily now that it's going full tilt. Often times I have too many cucumbers so I take them into work:

The front pond:

Often find deer tracks near this one:

We have lots of fun outside. For the past few weeks we have been visited by a blue heron. It's been landing near our back pond almost daily. My daughter loves seeing him. Hope to get a picture of the heron.

Going to start building the chicken coop soon. Went down to Savannah to visit my parents. Their next door neighbor has eight chickens. It was really cool to play with them. Can't wait to get some.

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:57 am

Very nice.
I envy your green peppers. They simply refuse to grow well on my farm.

And good luck with the chickens. They aren't terribly hard to raise.
Just make sure you have a good coop.
With that pond, I would be very suprised if you don't have a healthy population of raccoons.
And they can tear up coops that aren't fairly sturdy and secure.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:51 am

That's a pretty nice looking place you've got.

How deep is your pond?

Chickens are super entertaining. I love watching them run around hunting.

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:02 pm

quazi wrote:That's a pretty nice looking place you've got.
Thank you! It's so much better out here. More work, but well worth it.
How deep is your pond?
This one is only a few feet. The one in the back is much bigger and deeper. I think 6 feet at its deepest.

I have some Koi in the back. Haven't seen them lately, but when spring hit I counted at least 20.
Chickens are super entertaining. I love watching them run around hunting.
We're pretty excited. My daughter can't wait to get her rabbit.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”