Finally Did It!

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CorpsmanUp

Finally Did It!

Post by CorpsmanUp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:32 pm

After dreaming for a few years my wife and I were finally able to buy our SHTF home. My parent's decided to move to Savannah Georgia. They have a beautiful house that they've built up and I didn't want them to get rid of it. So, I decided to buy it myself.

About 10 years ago my parent's bought a fixer upper on a bunch of land. The land is next to some farmland and surrounded by 'county folk.' It's not that far away from the main city, but where it's situated it's populated by families that have been in the county for generations. Good peoples.

There's a pond through the woods and a stream over a field a good distance away. It's very secluded and off the beaten path.

There's a detached garage, a detached 'guest house' that's heated and cooled. The guesthouse/workshop already has a woodstove installed. It's about 1000 sq feet and pretty much an entire living area to itself.

What I really love is the land. I can hunt. I can have chickens. The farmer next door already said I can keep a cow on his land with his and slaughter one each year like he does for his family.

I'm going to start small because it's pretty overwhelming all that I want to do with it.

We're pretty darn excited!

KYZHunters

Re: Finally Did It!

Post by KYZHunters » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Congratulations. It's a little scary making a commitment like this but the pros will always outweigh the cons.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:05 pm

That's awesome. It sounds like you're going to have a good time.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:22 pm

:clap:

Congratulations! Not sure about Maryland (assuming that's where your farm is), but in TX it's VERY much worth the effort to run some kind of livestock (typically cattle) on your land for the agricultural tax exemption. You pay the bulk of your taxes on any "cutouts" where the property has been improved like for your house, but the rest is basically tax-free.

Love the incentives here that actually encourage folks to make/keep land productive.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Congratulations! Is it in Maryland or Georgia?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Stercutus wrote:Congratulations! Is it in Maryland or Georgia?
It's in Maryland.

I currently live in a house in the city. My wife and I are going to try and rent it out for a few years before selling it. If possible I would like to keep it.

Been spending the last hour or so researching chickens.

I just couldn't let them sell it to strangers. The house is 60 years old, but they practically replaced everything. Roof, flooring, HVAC, and drainage field.

Can't wait to plant some stuff and enjoy the fruits of my labor!
Last edited by CorpsmanUp on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:40 am

Congrats man!

My wife and I made a similar plunge about 5 years ago.

It presents a whole new set of challenges, but I promise you won't miss the city a bit!

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:36 am

offcamber wrote:Congrats man!

My wife and I made a similar plunge about 5 years ago.

It presents a whole new set of challenges, but I promise you won't miss the city a bit!
Mahalo!

I'm happy for my daughter.

I'm an island boy. Spent most of my time at the beach or in the water. Not much of that here, but have found that I really enjoy being out in the woods.

I want my daughter to be able to go outside her backyard and do whatever she wanted to do.

It may sound weird, but I'm fired up to work the land and become more self sufficient.
So many ideas running through my head!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:25 am

CorpsmanUp wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Congratulations! Is it in Maryland or Georgia?
It's in Maryland.

I currently live in a house in the city. My wife and I are going to try and rent it out for a few years before selling it. If possible I would like to keep it.

Been spending the last hour or so researching chickens.

I just couldn't let them sell it to strangers. The house is 60 years old, but they practically replaced everything. Roof, flooring, HVAC, and drainage field.

Can't wait to plant some stuff and enjoy the fruits of my labor!
Congrats, sounds like a good deal and that you are already enjoying it so it will not go to waste.

Just being nosey, but is it Western MD, Northern MD or is it across the Chesapeake on the Delmarva peninsula

If its western MD, my understanding is it snows bad out there. Something to do with the way the Blue Ridge mountains and Nor'Eastern storm hit the region. A few inch snow storm along the I-95 corridor could be a over a foot out there.

Eastern MD, SHTF you just got to worry about getting across the Chesapeake if the bridges are out, then again your an Island guy, getting across a big body of water would not be a big deal. The thing that kills me about Delmarva is all the guys I know from Delaware get a deer every hunting season down there, while we in PA have all these woods and state game lands and most of us come home empty handed.

Northern MD, Susquehanna and Elk Neck state park areas seem beautiful. They are on my hiking/camping bucket list.

procyon

Post by procyon » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:12 am

CorpsmanUp wrote:After dreaming for a few years my wife and I were finally able to buy our ... home.
Congrats !

CorpsmanUp wrote:I'm happy for my daughter.

I want my daughter to be able to go outside her backyard and do whatever she wanted to do.
This. Oh, so very much - this.
I love being able to turn my kids loose in the 'yard', with my biggest worry being that they will come back covered in mud or muck. Or that they just found one of the farm cats has a litter of kittens which they have already adopted and named...
Ok, or that they found a skunk while they were picking/eating raspberries. That's bad.

And then there is building a rabbit hutch with your daughter so she can raise her own bunnies (don't expect to eat any, just look for folks who will buy/take the babies...). Or watching her chase around and hold the baby fuzz balls (chicks). Or bottle feeding her first calf (way cheaper at a sale barn or from a neighbor if you can manage caring for one). Or sitting by a fire roasting marshmallows/hot dogs/brats/whatever because you just decided 10 minutes ago that it was too nice an evening to waste inside.

And I won't be surprised if you post in a couple years that you just don't use that 'city place' anymore...

I wish you and your family the best of luck. :D
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Mikeyboy wrote: Just being nosey, but is it Western MD, Northern MD or is it across the Chesapeake on the Delmarva peninsula?
None of those!

It's in Southern Maryland. Valley Lee area.

Lots of water around me (no beaches).

The area has a lot of history. Lots of families have been in the area for ages. Lots of amish around here. We often get pork and produce from them.

I've been in a couple of Nor'easters and have lost power a few times. Once for a week. The house has 2 500 lb propane tanks. One near the guest house and another near the main house. I plan on converting my current generator to propane.

Have plans to install a woodstove in the guest house since it already has a hearth and at one time had a wood stove.

If I can heat at least one space during a power outage I can keep my wife and daughter warm. We have an infinite supply of wood so fuel is a non-factor.

It's hard to explain how happy I am right now.

I finally feel I have a place for my family that can help ensure our well being if things turned for the worst.

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:25 pm

procyon wrote: This. Oh, so very much - this.
I love being able to turn my kids loose in the 'yard', with my biggest worry being that they will come back covered in mud or muck. Or that they just found one of the farm cats has a litter of kittens which they have already adopted and named...
Ok, or that they found a skunk while they were picking/eating raspberries. That's bad.

And then there is building a rabbit hutch with your daughter so she can raise her own bunnies (don't expect to eat any, just look for folks who will buy/take the babies...). Or watching her chase around and hold the baby fuzz balls (chicks). Or bottle feeding her first calf (way cheaper at a sale barn or from a neighbor if you can manage caring for one). Or sitting by a fire roasting marshmallows/hot dogs/brats/whatever because you just decided 10 minutes ago that it was too nice an evening to waste inside.

And I won't be surprised if you post in a couple years that you just don't use that 'city place' anymore...

I wish you and your family the best of luck. :D
Just gave me the biggest smile right there.

My wife is already picking out the type of bunny they want.

They also want a cute chicken that apparently lays blue eggs.

Just had a brilliant idea to hire some of the amish near me to build my daughter a rocking tree house. It's amazing the quality of woodwork these guys do. Work hard and give you your money's worth.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:58 pm

CorpsmanUp wrote:

I finally feel I have a place for my family that can help ensure our well being if things turned for the worst.
I think a few of us understand. I never understood how the American dream of 40 acres and a mule was supplanted by a sports car and open road.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

procyon

Post by procyon » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:10 pm

CorpsmanUp wrote:We have an infinite supply of wood so fuel is a non-factor.
If you decide to heat with wood, there is a fair amount of information around this site. Or just ask. There seem to be a number of us that heat with wood with experience using different set ups. Someone will likely have some information that could be useful.
The Amish around you will likely have some good insights.
For me, so long as you don't look at the time I spend - wood is far cheaper than LP. And it helps keep me sane and married.
You wouldn't believe (ok, maybe you would) how many times my wife has told me to go up to the barn and split some wood. It's amazing how much better I feel when I am in a bad mood if I can go hit something really hard with a big, sharp object...
:crazy:
CorpsmanUp wrote:I finally feel I have a place for my family that can help ensure our well being if things turned for the worst.
And it can do a wonderful job of taking care of you even when things aren't bad.
My youngest girl loves to 'prune' the cherry tomato bushes in the garden when she goes out to check on her bunnies. or the raspberry canes/mulberry trees growing along the fence by the house, or eat apples off the trees by the driveway when she gets off the bus (till she spoils her appetite for supper)...the same as all the other kids have done.

She even goes hunting and has added several squirrels and cottontails to the larder.
(rummages around looking for where he posted the pic...)
And a few years back after her first time hunting.
ETA
Oops, managed to miss this.
Stercutus wrote:
CorpsmanUp wrote:
I think a few of us understand. I never understood how the American dream of 40 acres and a mule was supplanted by a sports car and open road.
Amen to that.
Well, other than the mule.
My neighbors mules end up in my yard about once a week when the apple trees are ready...
:clownshoes:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

modF

Post by modF » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Congrats! It sounds awesome, I wish you the best of luck!

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:37 am

We were supposed to move in mid February, but my parents are closing earlier on their new house, so we are moving in at the end of Jan.

Wish we could skip winter this year because all I want to do is start planting some food and tend to some chickens.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm

CorpsmanUp wrote:We were supposed to move in mid February, but my parents are closing earlier on their new house, so we are moving in at the end of Jan.

Wish we could skip winter this year because all I want to do is start planting some food and tend to some chickens.

Just because it is winter doesn't mean you can't start planning. From this link:
http://www.almanac.com/content/plant-hardiness-zones

Looks like you are in Zone 7a or 7b, which means you can plant your brassicas, onions, lettuces and peas out on March 1st, and the rest of your plants out on April 15th to avoid frost. You can start your broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and spinach now to have hearty starts to plant in the garden on 3/1. These plants can easily take a light frost without damage, and most varieties won't die from a heavy frost that you will get so far south. I used to live in 5a and always had peas, cabbage and broccoli in the ground by St. Patrick's Day and never worried about them. A few years they were under 6 inches of snow, but as soon as the weather broke, they shot up like mad.

Some of my favorite gardening websites...
Best gardening forum I have found:
http://idigmygarden.com/forums/

Best on-line seed company (value and service):
http://www.superseeds.com/

Best rare seed site:
http://www.rareseeds.com/

Resource sites:
http://davesgarden.com/
http://www.motherearthnews.com/
http://www.organicgardening.com/
http://squarefootgardening.org/
http://www.permaculture.org/

Have fun and good luck!!
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Congratulations.

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Murphman wrote:
CorpsmanUp wrote:We were supposed to move in mid February, but my parents are closing earlier on their new house, so we are moving in at the end of Jan.

Just because it is winter doesn't mean you can't start planning. From this link:
http://www.almanac.com/content/plant-hardiness-zones

Looks like you are in Zone 7a or 7b, which means you can plant your brassicas, onions, lettuces and peas out on March 1st, and the rest of your plants out on April 15th to avoid frost. You can start your broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and spinach now to have hearty starts to plant in the garden on 3/1. These plants can easily take a light frost without damage, and most varieties won't die from a heavy frost that you will get so far south. I used to live in 5a and always had peas, cabbage and broccoli in the ground by St. Patrick's Day and never worried about them. A few years they were under 6 inches of snow, but as soon as the weather broke, they shot up like mad.

Some of my favorite gardening websites...
Best gardening forum I have found:
http://idigmygarden.com/forums/

Best on-line seed company (value and service):
http://www.superseeds.com/

Best rare seed site:
http://www.rareseeds.com/

Resource sites:
http://davesgarden.com/
http://www.motherearthnews.com/
http://www.organicgardening.com/
http://squarefootgardening.org/
http://www.permaculture.org/

Have fun and good luck!!
Wealth of information!

Thank you!

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:59 pm

As others said, congrats. Always exciting to hear someone finally getting a piece of paradise to call their own. Even better it was already in your family so you have some great memories already built there.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:41 am

Updating:

Starting to move in. Pretty excited.

This is what I'm excited about:

It's the detached living space I was talking about. I'm planning on turning it into a man cave with auxiliary duty as a gird down living space.

It has dual 200 lbs propane tanks that hook up to it for heating. It also has a heat pump for heat and ac. I plan on getting a propane genny to run creature comforts if power goes down.

Next phase is finding a woodstove and get a chimney put in. In this next pic you can see a hearth was put in some time ago. There is a plugged hole that goes to the outside where the stove pipe would have gone:

Took my little girl out there and the ponds were frozen over. We spent some time skipping rocks on the ice. She loved it!

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Very cool, congrats.
WWSD?

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Congrats CorpsmanUp !!

Best of luck!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:43 pm

The place looks great, lots of potential there.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”