It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mead Making
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 am 

I linked the cyser I made in this thread before. Less honey and once fermentation is done, kill of the yeast and add honey and concentrate to the end.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:34 am 

Just started a Polish Great mead maybe three weeks ago. I did an initial rack since I was racking another mead at the same time,
Polish Great Mead half water, half honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, a clove, sherry yeast. Tasted excellent yesterday. I racked it, removed the spices, added a small amount of oak chips, put the air lock back on and left it bubbling away. Ill rack it again in a couple weeks and see where its at. Tasted awesome already. Shame I have to wait two years for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:28 am 

NamelessStain wrote:

1) Ghost Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (have made before)
2) Scorpion Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (have made before)
3) Ghost Pepper Sweet Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (going for a sweet heat)
4) Scorpion Pepper Sweet Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (going for a sweet heat)
5) Apple Pie Cyser- 6 Gallon, yeast 1122, fermenting. (have made before)
7) Slurried Scorpion Pepper Dry Mead, 1 Gallon, yeast D47, test batch. (just going for ultimate heat by breaking down the membranes more to release more heat)
8) Star Anise Ghost Pepper Mead, 1 Gallon, yeast D47, test batch. (licorice and heat? who knows?! they wouldn't go for my Slim Jim flavored option... lol)

All of these got racked this past weekend. I took a sample (about 2 shots worth) of #7 and #8 to the guy who gave me the peppers. He liked both of them and said #8 it is a sweet at start and then the heat comes in. #7 he said was definitely HOT compared to the other ones I've made.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:52 pm 

Just started a batch of cyser. I started with 1 gallon of apple cider (just the cheap stuff from the store Tree Top brand) and got 1 tube of apple juice concentrate. I poured it all into a large pot and brought it to a boil and backed off so a very light boil and let it sit for 40 minute to concentrate. Once It was done I decided that it smelled delicious and had a kind of caramel smell to it. So I cut up a vanilla bean and into small sections and split them down the middle. Brought it back to a boil and turned it off to cool.

This morning I mixed the yeast and let it sit, warmed the honey, and the juice a little and poured it all together. I used a 6L carboy and realized that I there was still a lot of room left after combining everything. In hind sight I should have used a gallon and a half of juice instead.

I used 71B-1122 yeast with no yeast enhancer (didn't have any).

Will let this one sit for a while and see how it goes.

Also will be bottling up all of my stuff this Monday/Tuesday I'm excited about the chili mead I started a month or so ago.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:07 am 

Well it was a semi productive weekend, I made 4 more batches, lol.

9) Coconut Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. I have NO CLUE how this is going to turn out. I couldn't get the mixture to aerate so... we'll see.
10) Lemon and Star Anise Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. The recipe was for a 5 gallon batch and the numbers don't seem to scale down well.
11) Blueberry Mead - 3 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. I talked about making a melomel, so a friend gave me 2.5# of frozen blueberries, hence this was made.
12) Orange Clove Mead - 5 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. I've made this before and it's quite good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:11 am 

Halfapint wrote:
Just started a batch of cyser. I started with 1 gallon of apple cider (just the cheap stuff from the store Tree Top brand) and got 1 tube of apple juice concentrate. I poured it all into a large pot and brought it to a boil and backed off so a very light boil and let it sit for 40 minute to concentrate. Once It was done I decided that it smelled delicious and had a kind of caramel smell to it. So I cut up a vanilla bean and into small sections and split them down the middle. Brought it back to a boil and turned it off to cool.

This morning I mixed the yeast and let it sit, warmed the honey, and the juice a little and poured it all together. I used a 6L carboy and realized that I there was still a lot of room left after combining everything. In hind sight I should have used a gallon and a half of juice instead.

I used 71B-1122 yeast with no yeast enhancer (didn't have any).

Will let this one sit for a while and see how it goes.

Also will be bottling up all of my stuff this Monday/Tuesday I'm excited about the chili mead I started a month or so ago.

You put a lot more effort into yours than I do mine :)

I think my cyser will be ready next weekend. It stopped fermenting about 3 days ago. Now just to transfer to another carboy, add the chems to ensure fermentation is done, add some more honey and apple concentrate, and bottle. It should take me about an hour or so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:36 am 

NamelessStain wrote:
9) Coconut Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. I have NO CLUE how this is going to turn out. I couldn't get the mixture to aerate so... we'll see.

OK, just some quick notes on this one. The recipe called for coconut milk and one I purchased seemed to have a lot of concentrated paste like material. I didn't think much about this and filled the gallon to my regular level. For one reason or another, some of this paste like material was getting pushed up into the fermentation lock. So, I got another lock ready and poured out some of the milk to lower the level. 2 hours later, more paste in the lock. Again, got another lock and poured out more milk. Finally got it to stop filling up the lock. So my liquid is down about 1-1 1/2 cups. Next time I plan to strain out all this paste and go for a cleaner liquid or try coconut water instead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:20 pm 

Interesting find on the coconut jelly....

Update to my cyser.... Holy crap the fermenting room smell AMAZING! I am so excited about this! I might wait until late spring and buy more when the cider gets cheaper and do a 5gallon batch.....

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:09 am 

More updates on the coconut mead....

Every day, I have to go in and gently lean the bottle to one side to break the seal the paste is making at the top of the bottle. This lets the gasses escape. Just don't tilt it too far or it will get back into the lock. I really need to rethink this recipe to eliminate the idiosyncrasies of making it. Gotta be an easier way to prep the milk (straining) or trying with coconut water.

/ponder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:06 am 

I think you're going to have that problem if you ise the milk regardless. It sounds like it's the oil is rising to the top, it might start to turn rancid. The other peoblem would be with using coconut water, would be you won't get the sweetness of the coconut. Dunno you might have to stick the coconut milk in a blender and try to homogenize it? But once it starts to ferment it's going to rise to the top.

Update of the cyser I made. Holy crap I want that in my belly. It smells amazing! The fermenting room smells so amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:24 am 

I talked to a friend yesterday who is a craft brewer and we got into discussions about making a braggot. This is going to be a project that may mature early next year. Right now we're just kicking around the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:11 am 

NamelessStain wrote:
I talked to a friend yesterday who is a craft brewer and we got into discussions about making a braggot. This is going to be a project that may mature early next year. Right now we're just kicking around the idea.

I had to look that up, that sounds wonderful! I have some brewer friends we may have to do this as well! nom nom nom!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:41 am 

NamelessStain wrote:

1) Ghost Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (have made before)
2) Scorpion Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (have made before)
3) Ghost Pepper Sweet Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (going for a sweet heat)
4) Scorpion Pepper Sweet Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (going for a sweet heat)
7) Slurried Scorpion Pepper Dry Mead, 1 Gallon, yeast D47, test batch. (just going for ultimate heat by breaking down the membranes more to release more heat)
8) Star Anise Ghost Pepper Mead, 1 Gallon, yeast D47, test batch. (licorice and heat? who knows?! they wouldn't go for my Slim Jim flavored option... lol)

Racked all these again this weekend. The Cyser got it's dose of Campden Tablets and will get sweetened and bottled tonight (hopefully).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:54 am 

NamelessStain wrote:

Bottled 21 liters. Of course I had to sample it, mmmmmmm... goooood.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:04 pm 

Anianna, my wife, probably posted about 6 months ago that I was attempting to make honey mead. I just bottled it and have a few questions I was hoping someone could provide insight or advice to. First, please note that I have never drank alcohol so I have no idea about it. Why did I make mead then? Just for fun. I will end up giving it to neighbors, but dont want to give them something that is crap.

So, after 6 months of sitting I bottled it. First I noticed it has a VERY strong alcohol smell. I take it that is what it should have? I was expecting something sweeter.

I filled 4 Mason jars up. The first two are extremely clear yellow liquid. The 3rd is darker, and the 4th (that came from the bottom of the mixture) is very cloudy and a brownish/yellow. Is this normal for the jars to have such different colors? Should I have shaken it up before pouring it into bottles? Or do I just leave the darker ones to sit longer?

Any insight would be appreciated. I will post this and go see if I can take a picture of them and post that too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:12 pm 

Pic of Skrunch's mead:

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:33 pm 

Skrunch wrote:
I filled 4 Mason jars up. The first two are extremely clear yellow liquid. The 3rd is darker, and the 4th (that came from the bottom of the mixture) is very cloudy and a brownish/yellow. Is this normal for the jars to have such different colors? Should I have shaken it up before pouring it into bottles? Or do I just leave the darker ones to sit longer?

Any insight would be appreciated. I will post this and go see if I can take a picture of them and post that too.

From the picture it looks good! Yes generally it is very alcoholic smelling so that's both good and normal. The coloring will change as you get the sediment at the bottom. Depending on who you talk to it can be both good and bad. The clear stuff is generally more "desirable" for a standard meadery, it sells better. The cloudy stuff, has more complex flavors, but if there's TO much in there it can actually taste kind of yeasty (think over yeasted bread.... I love it others don't).

All in all I think you did a great job!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:12 am 

Skrunch/Arianna,

Did you just pour the mead into the jars or use a racking cane/auto siphon? If you just poured then you're going to get a lot more sediment in the later jars. As Half said, it just takes some more time to settle. My earlier mead batches I was in a bit of a hurry and there is some sediment in the bottles, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Alcohol content depends on several factors including but not limited to: type of yeast, specific gravity of initial product, etc. So it could very well have a strong alcohol smell (I had one I got to a little over 17%). I won't even bring up the possibilities of freeze distillation. :)

The one on the right looks fantastic!! The others will slowly settle and you can either re-jar them or just serve as is. If I remember, y'all did the orange clove recipe which I've found takes a bit longer to settle so I filter when I rack, and I rack it often :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:16 pm 

We just poured it. I was going to filter it. However, I gave out 3 samples today. So, far I received feedback from 2. None of them have ever had honey mead. The first person is a beer only person. The comment was "it smelled better than it tasted."

The second person actually does wine and beer taste testing but has never had mead. i received two comments from him. The first is "Interesting and oddly flavored. It must be an aquired taste! A strong alcohol and "sort of cheap wine" aftertaste. I told him what the first person said and he replied "agree. Second taste was better than first but I had to chase with a beer!! Maybe cooked a little too long? IDK. Leslie (his wife) said it smelled like the spoiled communion wine she had a church as a kid"

Smell wise.. I do not think it smells spoiled. Very strong alcohol smell with a wiff of honey. The first guy thought it smelled great and was sniffing his hands where he touched the mead.

Anyway, thoughts on the comments? Is mead an acquired taste? Trying to determine if I should just pitch it out or if I should offer it to others who may like it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:31 pm 

Skrunch wrote:
Anyway, thoughts on the comments? Is mead an acquired taste? Trying to determine if I should just pitch it out or if I should offer it to others who may like it.

On the beekeeping thread Ani started, I mentioned there that it is an acquired taste, very much so.... The cheap wine comment is probably from the lees (sediment), it's got that yeasty wine taste, it also could have to do with the yeast you used. I started off doing champagne yeast but found it gets very dry (as champagne is a dry alcohol). So you could have used a yeast that has that characteristic. It could also be that hes just not used to it, the grapes used in wine give it more complex flavors because there's more to them, honey is kind of a harsh flavor, and makes a little more harsh alcohol. I'd be like comparing an aged whiskey to moonshine, not exactly the same thing, but all whiskey starts life as moonshine.

Over all, IF you were to do it again (It's always good to practice for the end of the world! :lol:), I would do a racking cane, and hose. They generally have a little attachment at the bottom of the came that pulls the liquid from the top leaving as much of the sediment as possible. The more racks you do, generally the clearer it gets, and the more "refined" it tastes.

Aging: It's good to let is sit for a long time. European tradition (amongst royalty at least) was to let it age for 10 years. I generally age mine in the bottles for a minimum of 1 month before sharing or giving it away. Aging will also give you a more refined taste, it'll smooth out over time, it'll grow more complex (like wine). You can also age in barrels as well, I know a guy who got some small barrels from a specialty place they were once used, I think for whiskey, and it aged for 2 years in them. It was pretty damn amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:54 am 

Mead is meant to be aged in most cases for a minimum of a year for common meads. More in depth meads should be aged for more. Its not beer, do not treat it as such. I have 2 three year meads aging currently along with a quick one year mead. Drinking it before its ready gives you those bad tastes outsiders do not like. Also letting it age does reduce the yeasty taste. There are a few meads that can be done quickly(as in a few months), but even they taste better over time. I have tasted them but never tried making them. Mead is very much like wine, you don't drink wine right after you finish fermenting it, treat mead the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:29 pm 

Tropheus wrote:
Mead is meant to be aged in most cases for a minimum of a year for common meads. More in depth meads should be aged for more. Its not beer, do not treat it as such. I have 2 three year meads aging currently along with a quick one year mead. Drinking it before its ready gives you those bad tastes outsiders do not like. Also letting it age does reduce the yeasty taste. There are a few meads that can be done quickly(as in a few months), but even they taste better over time. I have tasted them but never tried making them. Mead is very much like wine, you don't drink wine right after you finish fermenting it, treat mead the same way.

Do you age it that long before or after racking?

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:35 pm 

Anianna wrote:
Do you age it that long before or after racking?

After, the current mead I'm drinking was in the carboy for a year, it is currently aging in the bottles for months. I've cracked a few open, and it's rather yummy. I'll age most of these for at least a year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:33 pm 

Well, the third person that tried it liked it, as did his wife and daughter when she came to visit him. He asked for more.
So, we just took to picking on the others that they couldnt handle a real drink....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next