Mead Making

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NamelessStain

Re: Mead Making

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:16 am

UPDATE!!!!
NamelessStain wrote: 1) Orange clove mead (same one as Ana is making) - 3 Gallon, D47 yeast
This one has been going about 2 months. Fermentation is almost stopped. The recipe author says it can go until the fruit sinks, so I'm waiting for it to sink. DAMN YOU FRUIT!!!!
NamelessStain wrote: 2) Orange clove mead - 3 Gallon, 1116 yeast
3) Apple pie cyser - 3 gallon, whatever yeast was on the recipe
Both of these have been racked once. Fermentation is almost stopped. I think they'll be getting bottled this weekend.
NamelessStain wrote: 6) Basic Sweet Mead - 1 gallon, can't remember yeast - friend came over wanting to see how I was doing it
7) Basic Sweet Mead - 1 gallon, can't remember yeast - friend came over wanting to see how I was doing it
Both of these have been racked once, I'm thinking 1 more week and they get bottled. Fermentation has slowed down a lot.

New Batches:
8) Basic Sweet Mead - 1 Gallon, damn friends need to stop coming over to learn how to make mead :)
9) Sweet Raspberry Mead - 1 Gallon. yeast D47, recipe (see below)
10) Sweet Raspberry Mead - 1 Gallon. yeast D47, recipe (see below)

I saw the raspberries when I walked through Sam's Club. Grabbed a bunch since they were on sale with the intention of making jelly. I "accidentally" dropped them in a carboy instead.

New Batch:
11) Pumpkin Mead - 6 Gallon, recipe (see below)

Planned:
x) Basic Sweet Mead - 3 Gallons, yeast x, Neighbor is having a son (or just had a son, so I need to get making it)
x) Basic Sweet Mead - 6 Gallons, yeast x, Friend is having a daughter (just waiting on a phone call to start the batch)

The following recipe is from Storm The Castle at ( http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/mead-recipes.htm )
Sweet Raspberry Mead (Makes 1 Gallon)

Yeast: EC-1118 (1 packet)
1 Gallon Spring Water
4.5 pounds wildflower honey
1.5 pounds red raspberries
The juice from 1 lemon
The juice from 1 lime
3 Tablespoons of strong english tea
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient

Pretty straight forward instructions for this mead. Was the food ingredients before using and crush the raspberries. I froze them for a day before using them so they would break down and release their flavor easier. I thawed them out for the morning, crushed them and added them when I made the mead in the afternoon. Simply add all the ingredients into your mixing carboy then pitch the yeast. Leave extra headroom at the top of the bottle because all the ingredients will cause extra bubbling.

Pumpkin Mead

This is a nice seasonal mead with a beautiful orange color and makes 1 gallon.

Yeast: D-47 Lalvin
3 pounds of clover honey
1 gallon of spring water
12 ounces of pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 twist of orange peel which is about 1/5th of the total orange peel

Easy to do: Add all your ingredients, stir vigorously then pitch your yeast and aerate for five minutes.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:24 am

NamelessStain wrote: 2) Orange clove mead - 3 Gallon, 1116 yeast
Added a clarifying solution since it seemed a bit hazy to me. Bottling scheduled for tomorrow.
NamelessStain wrote: 3) Apple pie cyser - 3 gallon, whatever yeast was on the recipe
Bottled and OH-EM-GEE it is sooooooo good!! I can almost drink it like water. This is going to be dangerous!

BTW,
11) Pumpkin Mead - 6 Gallon, recipe (see below) was my Fall Equinox batch. First one for each of the 4 sun holidays.

New Batches:
12) Basic Sweet Mead - 3 Gallons, yeast D47, Made for the birth of my neighbor's son
13) Dry Ancho Pepper mead - 1 gallon, 1122 yeast. The original batch was pretty awesome, so I'm making another.
14) Dry Guajillo Pepper mead - 1 gallon, 1122 yeast. Another notch up in the heat scale for more "testing".

Planned:
x) Basic Sweet Mead - 6 Gallons, yeast x, Friend is having a daughter (just waiting on a phone call to start the batch)
x) Dry Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Pepper mead - 1 gallon, x yeast. This one has me kinda scared. The guy I buy my gear from is giving me some (4) of these to make him a "test batch" and I told him I'm not even going to try it. I plan to have a face shield, 3 layers of gloves, a mask, and other protective gear on. Also I'm definitely using a glass jug and I'll discard the stopper after the batch is done. I have a feeling the smell will be brutal. This will get stuck in the garage. If you don't know what Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Pepper is, it's the 2nd hottest pepper on the planet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_moruga_scorpion
x) Apple pie cyser - 6 gallon, whatever yeast was on the recipe. This will be my Winter Solstice batch. After the first one, I HAVE to make another.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:40 am

Sworbeyegib wrote:Tagged for interest.
Interested yet Sworb? LOL

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:59 pm

So I created another thread about ginger beer as to not derail this one. But would anyone know of a good alcoholic recipe fir ginger beer. I can find nom alcoholic ones but nothing on alcoholic. I suppose I could modify a non alcoholic recipe.

I'm curious because I'd really like to get some going, big also see about doing a ginger mead. I think that would be refreshing!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:30 am

Thanks for coming over and helping last night SCBrian.

We bottled up batch 2, orange and clove mead. Of course I pay my laborers with "samples" and a take home bottle :)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Haha yea I pay for most taxes stuff with cider, mead, honey. Haha works great batterer system is alive and well in my neighborhood. A guy the next street over was clearing a lot, asked him if he wanted the wood. He said no so I have him a bottle of cider, salsa, and quart of honey. Pulled about 4-6 cords of wood, with another 2-3 over there.

I use my mead for special stuff or for helpers!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:37 pm

SCBrian took some pictures and he said he'll send me the link so I can post them here later.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:59 pm

NamelessStain wrote:SCBrian took some pictures and he said he'll send me the link so I can post them here later.
I'll have them to you this PM. Dear wife took the camera this AM... :oops:
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Sen

Post by Sen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:37 pm

Tagged

movingchicane
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by movingchicane » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:39 pm

I threw together 2, 1 gallon batches last night.

Vanilla Mead
3lbs Clover honey
3L Spring Water
2 Bourbon Vanilla beans sliced and finely chopped
1/5 orange peel
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 pack red star premier cuvee yeast

Initial SG 1.110 70 deg F*

Medium mead (orange blossom honey)
4lbs Orange blossom honey (Meant to put in 3, but it flowed really fast. Whoops :lol: but We'll see what happens)
3 L Spring water
1/5 Orange peel
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 pack Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast

Initial SG 1.125 70 deg F*

*hydrometer calibrated at 60 deg F

Messing around with recipes seems like it will work better with 1 gallon batches than the 3 gal to minimize waste and waiting. Not to mention they seem to be a lot quieter. I've read about some horror stories with the Premier Cuvee making gasoline flavored mead, but it seems most of those were at 76-78 deg. The vanilla started faster, and I have a feeling that the Orange blossom may take a while to finish. So now I'm just going to observe and take good notes on everything.

*** Disclaimer I still have no idea what I'm doing, copy at your own risk***
The cake is a lie

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:29 pm

movingchicane wrote:*** Disclaimer I still have no idea what I'm doing, copy at your own risk***
HAHAHAHA none of us really do! Welcome aboard!

movingchicane
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by movingchicane » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:26 am

It's kind of like planting a garden though, you can't just keep a seed vault, read a book, and expect things to grow. It's not until you put seed in soil that you actually start to learn what works and what doesn't.

The point is you have to just get out there and mix up some honey, water, and yeast.
The cake is a lie

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 am

UPDATE!!!!
NamelessStain wrote: 1) Orange clove mead (same one as Ana is making) - 3 Gallon, D47 yeast
2) Orange clove mead - 3 Gallon, 1116 yeast
6) Basic Sweet Mead - 1 gallon, can't remember yeast - friend came over wanting to see how I was doing it
7) Basic Sweet Mead - 1 gallon, can't remember yeast - friend came over wanting to see how I was doing it
All these are now bottled and patiently aging in the corner :)

Started:
15) DragonCon Dry Mead - 6 Gallons, yeast D47. Getting a batch ready for next year's DragonCon.
16) Ghost Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, another experiment, my hardware supplier challenged me and provided the peppers
17) Scorpion Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, another experiment, my hardware supplier challenged me and provided the peppers

Planned:

Edit: the 2 pepper batches are quarantined to the garage. :awesome:

Edit2: added batch numbers.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 am

NamelessStain wrote: New Batches:
8) Basic Sweet Mead - 1 Gallon, damn friends need to stop coming over to learn how to make mead :)
#8 got bottled this weekend and I dropped them off at his house.
#9 and #10 - both got racked. Lots of sediment in both so they'll probably sit for a week or 2 before bottling. Sampling indicates this is going to be a good one.

NEW batches:
18) Basic Sweet Mead - 6 Gallons, yeast D47, Friend's Daughter HAS ARRIVED!! Ironic this is batch #18 as she was delivered on the 18th!

Active batch summary:
9) Sweet Raspberry Mead - 1 Gallon. yeast D47, racked.
10) Sweet Raspberry Mead - 1 Gallon. yeast D47 racked.
11) Pumpkin Mead - 6 Gallon, yeast x, fermenting.
12) Basic Sweet Mead - 3 Gallons, yeast D47, fermenting.
13) Dry Ancho Pepper mead - 1 gallon, 1122 yeast, fermenting.
14) Dry Guajillo Pepper mead - 1 gallon, 1122 yeast, fermenting.
15) DragonCon Dry Mead - 6 Gallons, yeast D47, fermenting.
16) Ghost Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting.
17) Scorpion Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting.
18) Basic Sweet Mead - 6 Gallons, yeast D47, fermenting.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:35 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
NamelessStain wrote: New Batches:
#8 got bottled this weekend and I dropped them off at his house.
#9 and #10 - both got racked. Lots of sediment in both so they'll probably sit for a week or 2 before bottling. Sampling indicates this is going to be a good one.

NEW batches:
18) Basic Sweet Mead - 6 Gallons, yeast D47, Friend's Daughter HAS ARRIVED!! Ironic this is batch #18 as she was delivered on the 18th!

Active batch summary:
9) Sweet Raspberry Mead - 1 Gallon. yeast D47, racked.
10) Sweet Raspberry Mead - 1 Gallon. yeast D47 racked.
13) Dry Ancho Pepper mead - 1 gallon, 1122 yeast, fermenting.
Omega_baby's dad is looking forward to #18 :mrgreen:
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:43 am

omega_man wrote:
Omega_baby's dad is looking forward to #18 :mrgreen:
Enough for 1 bottle/year on her b-day, and 2 magnums on her 21st.

21 year old mead, that shit has GOT to be good :)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:30 pm

I'm going to make a Memorial Mead... Dad finally passed so I'm going to make a mead to drink on his birthday (the Mead probably won't be ready until the second year though his birthday is in Feb). But I have to think of what I want to do... Probably just make a semi sweet mead and let that shit age.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Halfapint wrote:I'm going to make a Memorial Mead... Dad finally passed so I'm going to make a mead to drink on his birthday (the Mead probably won't be ready until the second year though his birthday is in Feb). But I have to think of what I want to do... Probably just make a semi sweet mead and let that shit age.
Sorry to hear about your father passing. Making something like that and letting it age as a means to remember him would probably make him smile.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:04 am

NamelessStain wrote:
#9 and #10 - Sweet Raspberry Mead, both got racked. Lots of sediment in both so they'll probably sit for a week or 2 before bottling. Sampling indicates this is going to be a good one.
Both got bottled this weekend. Nice flavor with a subtle tart finish.
NamelessStain wrote: 13) Dry Ancho Pepper mead - 1 gallon, 1122 yeast, fermenting.
These also got bottled. The Ancho is still the friends' favorite.

No new batches this past weekend. I had other priorities including seeing OM_Baby and spending some time with the OM_Parents.
NamelessStain wrote: Active batch summary:

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:37 am

NamelessStain wrote: 11) Pumpkin Mead - 6 Gallon, yeast x, fermenting.
Both of these got racked this weekend. I'll wait until a few batches get done since my local supplier has a $5/day floor corker rental. I'm hoping to bottle cork batches 11, 12, 15, and 18 on the same day.
NamelessStain wrote: Active batch summary:

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Thank you guys for this thread!

My wife's uncle Andy brought us 4 quarts of raw, unfiltered honey from his summer/fall harvest in Ontario.

Because of all your contributions I have developed an interest in homebrewing and mead in particular. Even if myself cannot undertake the process I have begun asking around and it turns out my best friend is in turn friends with a dedicated amateur craft brewer. I mentioned our sudden bounty and his eyes lit up.
Oh yeah, this is happening. :twisted:
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:29 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:Thank you guys for this thread!

My wife's uncle Andy brought us 4 quarts of raw, unfiltered honey from his summer/fall harvest in Ontario.

Because of all your contributions I have developed an interest in homebrewing and mead in particular. Even if myself cannot undertake the process I have begun asking around and it turns out my best friend is in turn friends with a dedicated amateur craft brewer. I mentioned our sudden bounty and his eyes lit up.
Oh yeah, this is happening. :twisted:
Awesome! That's great to hear! It is by far my favorite homebrew!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:46 pm

So I made 1 gallon of plain mead with that honey.

1 quart (3lbs) honey
3/4 gallon of distilled water
D-47 yeast

Burn this with fire...... It is HORRIBLE! I went to rack it and got a little taste. Apparently the "slight smokey" flavor in the honey gets amplified 1000x during fermentation. I should say it doesn't suit my taste at all. It reminded me of a REALLY strong porter but I HATE porter. I suppose I should have bottled it anyway and see how it turns out. I just couldn't stand the taste of it. So note to self. DO NOT OVER HEAT HONEY!

Oddly enough the vanilla infused one wasn't nearly as bad. So I'll keep experimenting with different flavored meads with that honey but that honey might get fed back to the bees.

movingchicane
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by movingchicane » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:28 pm

That's a shame. I've heard that if you don't like the taste, to bottle it and let it sit for 6 months longer than you originally planned. Then again I'm a big fan of porters too.
The cake is a lie

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”