It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Mead Making
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:42 pm 

Skrunch wrote:
Well, the third person that tried it liked it, as did his wife and daughter when she came to visit him. He asked for more.
So, we just took to picking on the others that they couldnt handle a real drink....

You guys would be the perfect people to start a Meadery. You don't drink the profits! :rofl: But if you get your hives back up and running again, and make a few "select" batches and allow them to age for a few years in the bottle I bet you'd have a great profit margin!

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:09 am 

I start the clock when I make it which might or might not be the correct way of doing it but I haven't heard any complaints. Mead making is a very general process, there are many ways to do it but its still the same thing.There's people on some of the boards who waaaaay over technicalize a multi-millennium old process, where the same results can be achieved by simple taste testing. The most important things to me in mead making is the right yeast for the mead being made, aging, and of course good sanitary conditions. Anything else is just calling the ball in midair. With aging, minor mistakes will go unnoticed. Doesn't taste good or has a funky aftertaste? Let it sit another 6 months and try it again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:19 am 

NamelessStain wrote:
1) Ghost Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (have made before)
2) Scorpion Pepper Dry Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (have made before)
3) Ghost Pepper Sweet Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (going for a sweet heat)
4) Scorpion Pepper Sweet Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. (going for a sweet heat)
7) Slurried Scorpion Pepper Dry Mead, 1 Gallon, yeast D47, test batch. (just going for ultimate heat by breaking down the membranes more to release more heat)
8) Star Anise Ghost Pepper Mead, 1 Gallon, yeast D47, test batch. (licorice and heat?)

Bottled all these last night into 375ml bottles. I don't think there will be too many people who want a full 750ml bottle, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:17 am 

I took the pepper meads to the guys who are going to one of the local brew festivals. He said he'll take pics of the people's faces...lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:36 am 

NamelessStain wrote:
Well it was a semi productive weekend, I made 4 more batches, lol.

9) Coconut Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. I have NO CLUE how this is going to turn out. I couldn't get the mixture to aerate so... we'll see.
10) Lemon and Star Anise Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. The recipe was for a 5 gallon batch and the numbers don't seem to scale down well.
11) Blueberry Mead - 3 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. I talked about making a melomel, so a friend gave me 2.5# of frozen blueberries, hence this was made.

All racked this weekend. The coconut was low so I topped it off with water. The blueberry I moved into a 2 and 1 gallon container. I'll be trying to add some oak chips to the 1 gallon just to see how much it adds to the flavor.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:56 am 

Well the coconut got another growth in it so I talked to my local brew expert. He said it should be ok since it looks like what they use to make sours (he used the technical term, I don't remember it). So when it gets bottled, he told me to bring down a sample and we'll check it.

Last weekend I added oak chips to the blueberry 1 gallon, and plan to bottle the 1 gal and 2 gal this weekend.

New batches last weekend:
12) Blackberry Mead (Melomel) - 2 Gallon, yeast 1116, fermenting. Used 4# honey and 12oz blackberries per gallon.
13) Cherry Mead (Melomel) - 2 Gallon, yeast 1116, fermenting. Used 4# honey and 12oz cherries per gallon.
14) Strawberry Mead (Melomel) - 2 Gallon, yeast 1116, fermenting. Used 4# honey and 16oz strawberries per gallon.
15) Maple Syrup Mead (Acerglyn) - 1 Gallon, yeast 1122, fermenting. Used 2# honey and 32oz maple syrup. It took a little longer to start fermenting, but is now chugging away nicely.

Also racked my orange clove mead.

The chocolate mead is just sitting there patiently waiting... waiting... and doing some more waiting. Not scheduled for first racking until Jan. 2016.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:40 am 

NamelessStain wrote:

11) Blueberry Mead - 3 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. I talked about making a melomel, so a friend gave me 2.5# of frozen blueberries, hence this was made.

Bottled all 3 gallons this weekend. Mmmmmm... I wanted some pancakes to go along with this one :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:12 am 

NamelessStain wrote:

9) Coconut Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. I have NO CLUE how this is going to turn out. I couldn't get the mixture to aerate so... we'll see.
10) Lemon and Star Anise Mead - 1 Gallon, yeast D47, fermenting. The recipe was for a 5 gallon batch and the numbers don't seem to scale down well.
12) Blackberry Mead (Melomel) - 2 Gallon, yeast 1116, fermenting. Used 4# honey and 12oz blackberries per gallon.
13) Cherry Mead (Melomel) - 2 Gallon, yeast 1116, fermenting. Used 4# honey and 12oz cherries per gallon.
14) Strawberry Mead (Melomel) - 2 Gallon, yeast 1116, fermenting. Used 4# honey and 16oz strawberries per gallon.
15) Maple Syrup Mead (Acerglyn) - 1 Gallon, yeast 1122, fermenting. Used 2# honey and 32oz maple syrup. It took a little longer to start fermenting, but is now chugging away nicely.

Coconut got a second racking along with the Lemon Star Anise. All the others got their first racking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:36 pm 

Nameless, sounds like the "gunk" from the coconut milk was the cream. If you have a Trader Joe`s near you they sell light coconut milk with very little cream for half what most stores do. Or you can heat the whole thing up when first mixing your batch and stir it in till it dissolves. In larger batches the cream tends to stay mixed better and not float to the top if you mix it in while warm.

Halfapint, will PM you shortly with offer for using a cider press. Think I might be close enough to you.

I used to make a LOT of hard cider by just swapping fresh pressed cider for the water in a sweet mead recipe. The sweetness let me bypass the extensive aging period. Also made blackberry by pressing the berries and using a 50/50 mix of juice to water. The girls used to fight over it.

I did it pretty nontechnical as well. Throw it all in and tasted. Had a 5 gallon batch of strawberry turn to vinegar once. Dumped some down the drain, but gave a lot away for cooking or making salad dressings. Had several friends go nuts over it. Too bad you dumped out that smoky stuff Halfapint, others could have done all sorts of things with it. Next time ask around and you may find people beggingg for it . I bet mixing it with a swet cider or dark beer would make something I loved.

I am working on building a new space I can brew in and am REALLY hoping it's done in time for apple harvest, as I still have my cider press. I need to reacquire some of my equipment as much was handed off over a few years of living nomadically, and i am excited to finally go shopping for it once the space is ready. Durinng my travels I acquired a taste for dark beers as well and want to try brewing those.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:36 pm 

Oh, shiiit! I got a gallon of Joe's Ancient Orange in its fourth month? Time to rack it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:50 pm 

Kilo147 wrote:
Oh, shiiit! I got a gallon of Joe's Ancient Orange in its fourth month? Time to rack it?

Would probably be s good time yes.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:26 pm 

Sorry, been a while since I posted.

Right now sitting in the "meadery" I have the following:
-3x5gal chocolate (varying chocolate types and yeasts for testing purposes) these are a 3 year process, so they are sitting waiting to be racked. First one due a racking in Feb of next year.
-5gal Apply Pie Cyser
-5gal Hard Cider. A friend is going to help me bottle. Also debating adding a hit of caramel to the end process and let it carbonate from there. Will need to pasteurize to kill off the yeast once I get it to the right level.

Also entered bjcp.org contest in Lexington SC on Dec 5th with the following meads:
- Apple Pie Cyser (Style: 25A - Cyser)
- Blackberry Mead (Style: 25C - Other Fruit Melomel)
- Spicy Licorice (Style: 26A - Metheglin - This is ghost pepper and star anise)
- Spicy Chocolate Dessert Milk Stout (Style: 26B - Braggot -This is a Chocolate Dessert Milk Stout (go figure) and a dry ghost pepper mead)

Unfortunately they only allowed 1 mead per category so I got in 4 out of 5. Ones I wanted to enter but couldn't due to limitations:
- Sour Coconut (This was an accident, I was trying to make regular coconut mead and it had a strain of sour yeast get in during racking. I thought I was going to have to toss it. Friends looked at it and said let it go. Crazy stuff, and SOUR as hell.)
- Scorpion Pepper Mead (My pepperhead friends are constantly begging for more)
- Acerglyn (Honey and Maple Syrup)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:55 pm 

RoneKiln wrote:
Nameless, sounds like the "gunk" from the coconut milk was the cream. If you have a Trader Joe`s near you they sell light coconut milk with very little cream for half what most stores do. Or you can heat the whole thing up when first mixing your batch and stir it in till it dissolves. In larger batches the cream tends to stay mixed better and not float to the top if you mix it in while warm.

Thanks for the info. When I make another batch of coconut, I'll give this a try!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:19 pm 

NamelessStain wrote:
- Spicy Chocolate Dessert Milk Stout (Style: 26B - Braggot -This is a Chocolate Dessert Milk Stout (go figure) and a dry ghost pepper mead)

Got second place with this one! Woot!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:42 am 

Well got 3 new concepts for meads.

First, saw this one in a book, thought I'd give it a shot: Coffee and Banana

Then since all the fru-fru meads were doing well in competitions here's the 3 I thought I'd try:
- Lavender and Honeysuckle
- Rose petal
- Green tea and spearmint

All will be dry meads.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:37 pm 

I love when i have people taste my mead that have not tried it befoe go "interesting, sweet and easy to drink but not as strong as you had me believe" then five minutes later "holy crap, this stuff hit's hard"! People around here seem to think of mead as equivalent to beer in alcohol content and get taken by surprise when it's more like 3-4 times stronger (store bought beer is limited to 4.7% over here).

I recently got two 30L fermenting buckets for free, so I'll be going for a bigger batch soon. Need to collect a lot of bottles...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:58 pm 

Rise, RISE!

So a coworker just opened a brewery, and she had industrial sized equipment. I've been in contact and there maybe a "halfapint's mead" on tap in the near future. Made with my honey.

It'll be next year when I have more honey, but this might be my first step to getting a meadery going!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:45 pm 

Best of luck bud!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:13 am 

Been a while since I posted here so here's a complete update

3 5 gallon batches of chocolate in the works. All 3 have passed their first full year.

I did a hard cider. I need to do more back sweetening next time, but it is still drinkable. Also a semi-sweet Ginger which turned out to be wonderful.

About a month ago I started 4 more batches: Blackberry, Blueberry, Black Cherry, and a plain dry which will eventually be made into a hot toddie flavored mead (friend requested we try this flavor).

Finally, I got my A&W Root Beer flat enough to start fermenting it. Just another random experiment :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:28 am 

Nice! I'm really hoping to do some flavored meads coming up. All the little batches I've done never turn out very well. I just stick with standard mead.

I started about 3 weeks ago a 5gallon batch of semi sweet mead. Next up I'm going to do a really funky natural yeast brew. Going to experiment with that and see if I can get just the yeast from the bees and the air to ferment.

I finally bottled up a 2 batches of mead and cider that have been sitting in the carboy for 2 years. The cider is really alcoholic tasting and the mead is really dry. I mean REALLY dry. Hopefully a couple years in the bottle will mellow them out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6