Need Some Pond Advice Involving Snakes and Frogs

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CitizenZ

Re: Need Some Pond Advice Involving Snakes and Frogs

Post by CitizenZ » Sat May 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Alligators.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat May 17, 2014 10:34 pm

CitizenZ wrote:Alligators.

:?:

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Sun May 18, 2014 3:32 pm

They'll eat the frogs, snakes, birds, coyotes and intruders. Just give them a heat source when its cold.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun May 18, 2014 10:03 pm

scurvy wrote:just an idea.... go out fishing and bring home a few large mouth bass and dump em in the pond. they wont hurt the plants, they'll eat the frogs, and your snakes... and if you want them gone: throw out a worm and bobber.
This.

Bass are a good part of a balanced aquatic ecosystem. They are the most active predator in a pond by population.
Boldly going nowhere

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon May 19, 2014 11:05 am

The alligator would without a doubt be the apex predator in the pond. There are alligators in nearby bayous so it would not be an invasive species. That said I think the gator would be a little too close to the pointy end of apex for me to introduce them. :wink:

An update.

It is interesting but something has been taking advantage of the population boom in frogs because the number of frogs has dwindled and with the exception of the resident water snake I have not seen any more snakes. I have noticed that the water snake is fatter as are the adult frogs. So I assume all have been taking advantage of the frog buffet.

That and the nearby drainage ditches now have a higher frog population. Interesting. The area near the pond is normally dry but with the recent deluges the area has become saturated and I guess the surviving juvenile frogs are using these routes to escape.

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed May 21, 2014 12:05 am

@omega man
Wasn't recommending ducks to control frogs. Raptor just said his lady wanted to put geese on the pond.
(And I don't think there are any 'domestic' mergansers either. I doubt you could pay people to eat one...)
Just trying to give him the pro/con of the various water birds he might get.
Geese can be mean. Ducks can be messy. Both will (probably) like to eat the pretty plants.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”