Foraging for Edible Plants?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Figs and Bacon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Glitter!

Foraging for Edible Plants?

Post by Figs and Bacon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:51 pm

I'd really like to learn about the edible wild plants that grow in Northern California, specifically around the Bay Area. What's the best way to go about doing this? Should I just get a Field Guide or is there a better way?

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Re: Foraging for Edible Plants?

Post by Ad'lan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:55 am

There may well be a wild food gathering group or society that might be able to give you hands on instruction. Mushroom hunting clubs and the like, which will almost certainly have a member who picks more than mushrooms. People are usually happy to share their knowledge, and in person instruction is almost always better than just using a field guide alone.

There may also be a survival course or similar that would include instruction on wild edibles in your area. That'd cost money, but again, might be worth it.

Field guides are very useful, and I've done a lot of foraging based on reading (at least in part), so if you can't find a group or local teacher, grab a good one that's pretty area specific and includes notes on what not to eat and how to differentiate any possible lookalike species and get cracking.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”