Electric Chainsaw Sharpener/HF Sharpener Review

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Electric Chainsaw Sharpener/HF Sharpener Review

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm

I've been doing a lot of cutting the last few weeks and more to come in the future. I've gone through about four 3 packs of chain saw files. Not only that but my hands cramp up pretty good when holding anything small for a long period of time. So I figure I might as well invest in a good electric chainsaw sharpener. Horror Fright has one for the super low price of 29.99.... but wait there's more! Has anyone used one from Harbor Freight? I've actually had good luck with HF stuff, and their warranty is great. But I saw on amazon one from Oregon. It's MUCH more expensive but I'm ok with the buy once, cry once.

What say you? Anyone have any experience with electric chainsaw sharpeners?
Last edited by Halfapint on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Re: Chainsaw Sharpener

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:49 pm

It works surprisingly well for cheap junk.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Halfapint

Re: Chainsaw Sharpener

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:49 pm
It works surprisingly well for cheap junk.
I believe my dad had one years ago but it was garbage. I was checking reviews online and they added a couple new features that make it pretty good. It's not got more adjustments, and it actually has a clam that hold the chain in place. I don't like taking reviews from people who could be paid or fake. So I figure I'd ask here first. May just pick one up tonight if I can get to HF before they close.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Electric Chainsaw Sharpener

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:41 pm

I just use a Dremel and their sharpening stones. :ooh:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Never thought of that. I have lots of the light blue/grey stones and like 3 dremels..... that’s an idea. I know I can hold onto a dremel for a long time because I use them often. Thanks!

However, buying the stones will add up. A 2 stone set costs like $10. So long term I think a dedicated system is cheaper.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:51 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Never thought of that. I have lots of the light blue/grey stones and like 3 dremels..... that’s an idea. I know I can hold onto a dremel for a long time because I use them often. Thanks!

However, buying the stones will add up. A 2 stone set costs like $10. So long term I think a dedicated system is cheaper.
Dremel 455 7/32" Grinding Stone, 2 Pack - $3.99
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:28 am

Dremel actually has a chain sharpening kit with guides that works pretty well. Back when I was working we always had a few saws around for trees and heavy brush and several chains for each so that a chain could be quickly swapped out if needed and sharpened later when we had downtime.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:26 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:28 am
Dremel actually has a chain sharpening kit with guides that works pretty well. Back when I was working we always had a few saws around for trees and heavy brush and several chains for each so that a chain could be quickly swapped out if needed and sharpened later when we had downtime.
for my 20" bar's I have 8-10 chains, for the 28" I've got 5, and for the 36" I've got 3. The problem is I can only sharpen 2-3 before my hand completely cramps up and I cannot stand to do it anymore. I even use a drill with the file attached which helps a lot but my hand still cramps.

I'm thinking even though I use a dremel a lot I may end up having the same issue because its the repetitive that kills me. That's the reason I was thinking of having a table mounted one. I'll try the dremel first and see. I actually ran the dremel chainsaw guide before and I didn't like it, perhaps I'll try it again.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:32 pm

I've been using the files, keep saying I'll get something better/faster but haven't yet. Likely go with the table mounted one for the same reason you mentioned.

Coincidentally, was out just last weekend cutting up a good-sized oak when, wtf?, must have hit a knot I guess...

But not a knot.

Surprised it didn't break or at least throw the chain. Didn't even notice it until I was loading up the logs into the truck. What's the odds?

Edited out a 'duh' statement lol.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Soft copper and lead. Not much there to really bother a chain. Nice slice to save and use for something, maybe make a clock from.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:20 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm
Soft copper and lead. Not much there to really bother a chain. Nice slice to save and use for something, maybe make a clock from.
that's exactly what I was thinking. Cut like 3" or so thick slab. That's one hell of a find!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:20 pm
NT2C wrote:
that's exactly what I was thinking. Cut like 3" or so thick slab. That's one hell of a find!
Interesting how far it penetrated too. Looks to be maybe a 9mm with that flat base, but I wouldn't expect such deep penetration into oak by a 9mm. Especially with no visible deformation. Make this part of a bar top or bar decor and many beers would be spent contemplating the circumstances that got it there.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:22 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:20 pm
NT2C wrote:
Interesting how far it penetrated too. Looks to be maybe a 9mm with that flat base, but I wouldn't expect such deep penetration into oak by a 9mm. Especially with no visible deformation. Make this part of a bar top or bar decor and many beers would be spent contemplating the circumstances that got it there.
I thought the exact same thing. I am about 99% sure it's 9mm, and about 5" or so in. I've shot through 4x4's but those aren't oak. and you're right, that isn't deformed at all. Hell, I'd let that sit, and cure slowly, then put a nice finish on it and hang it just like that. That would be one hell of a convo piece.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:22 pm
I've shot through 4x4's but those aren't oak
They aren't 4" either. :)

MarkW
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness (I know, more deadites than zombies but I like it anyway)

Post by MarkW » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:47 am

I know 2 guys that have that HF chain grinder, both use saws a bit, and surprisingly both say the sharpeners work pretty good.

I use the Oregon grinder, one of these days I'll sharpen a chain with a HF one and see what the differences are.

I will say that another very good sharpener is the "Chain Sharp" accessory for Dremel rotary tools. For many years that was my favorite method except the little abrasive bits add up if you use them a lot, like cutting and heating with wood. You can buy diamond chainsaw burrs for them off ebay, which last quite a while but they are noticeably slower than the abrasive stones. Nice thing with this sharpener is that you use it with the chain still on the saw.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:05 am

MarkW wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:47 am
I know 2 guys that have that HF chain grinder, both use saws a bit, and surprisingly both say the sharpeners work pretty good.

I use the Oregon grinder, one of these days I'll sharpen a chain with a HF one and see what the differences are.

I will say that another very good sharpener is the "Chain Sharp" accessory for Dremel rotary tools. For many years that was my favorite method except the little abrasive bits add up if you use them a lot, like cutting and heating with wood. You can buy diamond chainsaw burrs for them off ebay, which last quite a while but they are noticeably slower than the abrasive stones. Nice thing with this sharpener is that you use it with the chain still on the saw.
I have plenty of chains for most my saws so sharpening while still on isn't a big deal, and I'll keep a file in my box for sharpening on the go. Thanks for the recommendation I think I'm going to get one from HF on Sunday before I head out to the property.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 am

Update: bought the harbor freight sharpener, 29.99 plus 20% off.

Attached it to the logging truck and sharpened 16 chains in less than an hour. That includes set up and adjustments for each chain. It’s got 2 adjustments, depth so you don’t grind into the links, and the x axis which shows how much you grind away.

My dad or grandpa had one years ago and it had a square grinding wheel, this one is is rounded to mimic a file. In fact I went and used a file on one chain and it was no sharper than the other I used paper sheets, they both cut through the same.

Now the thing I need to test is longevity. Is this something I’m going to have to buy every 2-3 months after the warrenty expires? We’ll see, I have a couple chains that I’ve designated as stump chains that I use and abuse and know tney’ll hit rocks. These are the chains I’m going to test the durability of the sharpener. I expect to hit rocks and dull the chains a coupe times a day. So we’ll see how long this thing can last.

One thing I did notice is the motor itself is weak, it does not handle load well. In fact I’d you try to grind to much away it’ll stop.thats not a bad thing in my eyes, it’s perhaps a unintentional feature. I couple times I forgot to adjust the x axis on it when I went to grind it bogged down, I realized what happened and adjusted and no problem. The other thing I loved about this is it’s quite. I’m used to loud, obnoxious motors on this like this. This was whisper quiet, it’s actually quieter than a 20v drill.

Anywho, for now, I’m impressed! It may shit out on me in a month but as long as it’s under warrenty the 3 minute detour will save me hours of hand filing!

flybynight

Re: Electric Chainsaw Sharpener/HF Sharpener Review

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:08 pm

anxiously awaiting the longevity report. We have a brand spanking new Harbor freight store that I'm dying to go into . But if I go in there without something specific in mind to buy I'll walk out with $90 generators, twelve pack of hammers, a cheap machete for everyone I know ( and a few for those I don't )Three hundred foot air hose and any other shinny thing that catches my eye. The only thing I won't walk out of the store with is any money in my pockets
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 pm

I also look forward to checking back here in a month or so. In the mean time I'll just leave this here.

https://itsamanslife.com/wp-content/upl ... olSale.pdf
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:56 am

yossarian wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 pm
I also look forward to checking back here in a month or so. In the mean time I'll just leave this here.

https://itsamanslife.com/wp-content/upl ... olSale.pdf
Does that come in muddy girl camo? Bet my wife would like a couple.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:42 pm

This isn't electric, but it is fast, and works great!

https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/

It uses a tungsten cutter, and takes me about 10 minutes to sharpen a dull chain to be hot knife through butter sharp.

A little more expensive, but well worth it!

Dave in Hudson, FL
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:40 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:08 pm
anxiously awaiting the longevity report. We have a brand spanking new Harbor freight store that I'm dying to go into . But if I go in there without something specific in mind to buy I'll walk out with $90 generators, twelve pack of hammers, a cheap machete for everyone I know ( and a few for those I don't )Three hundred foot air hose and any other shinny thing that catches my eye. The only thing I won't walk out of the store with is any money in my pockets
That's exactly how I am. Honestly other than their REALLY cheap cordless drill I've had really good luck with all their stuff. HF has been head hunting engineers form the likes of DeWalt, Millermatic, and others. I bought one of their new drills (red one) and I've used it to turn all my brass to the proper length, build a fence, run my chain saw file, and other things. it's performed flawlessly. I have one of their 33gal air compressors, it worked for over a year before a 50lb shrimp pot dropped on top of it and broke the motor. Their new welder line is apparently top notch. My buddy bought one of the $800 welders and uses it every day for a few hours a day at his work and said its got a great duty cycle.

I'll keep this updated and see how it lasts.
jdavidboyd wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:42 pm
Image]
That's pretty cool, I like the compactness of it. that would be good to throw in the logging box for when I'm cutting trees away from the property. but it is a bit more expensive.

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:25 pm

It was expensive, but I could never get the chain sharp with a file.
With this, I put it on, line it up, crank the handle 5 turns or so, move to the next tooth. Then the center part pulls out, goes in from the other side or other direction to get the other angled teeth, and repeat. Works great. The only downside, if it is one, is that the chain has to be on the chainsaw, or something like a bar, to sharpen it. I love it.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Just came to post a 2 month update.

I’ve sharpened about 200+ chains with it. Other than minor adjustments, like the depth screw (assuming because the grinding disk is getting warn down) and the adjustment for the chains. This this is still amazing. I bought a harbor freight pediatal stand for it. It came with a water tray it’s become habit to dip my fingers in it and cool the teeth after I grind them. They get kind of hot if I’m having to take off extra material due to hitting a rock or something.

I’ll post back periodically, it’s fall now so I doubt I’ll be using it as much as I have in the last few months. But I do have some dead trees to take down, so who knows.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”