It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
I think the first piece of gear that I'd spend some money on would be a small front end loader with a backhoe. That would make so much of the work I need to do much much quicker. I don't need a huge one, but something small. Something like a Bobcat T100, S100, or even S70..... They come with some attachments, the ones I was thinking of would be backhoe and bucket.

Skid steers like bobcats are often the same or more expensive than small tractors with front loader and backhoe. Big thing to look at is what folks in your area are using and what sort of mechanic options you have in your area. You don't want to get equipment that is difficult to get parts for or find someone to work on it.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:45 pm 

ineffableone wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
I think the first piece of gear that I'd spend some money on would be a small front end loader with a backhoe. That would make so much of the work I need to do much much quicker. I don't need a huge one, but something small. Something like a Bobcat T100, S100, or even S70..... They come with some attachments, the ones I was thinking of would be backhoe and bucket.

Skid steers like bobcats are often the same or more expensive than small tractors with front loader and backhoe. Big thing to look at is what folks in your area are using and what sort of mechanic options you have in your area. You don't want to get equipment that is difficult to get parts for or find someone to work on it.

This is correct, I was looking around for a few hours and I really like the bobcats, because of the size. Some of the spots I would need to get into are pretty narrow and tight. With that said I'm not set on a bobcat/skid steers, but the size of the S70 is just about perfect. I could get away with the S100/T110 (I made a mistake above it is actually a T110 not T100), because they aren't all that much bigger.

One of the things I like about the bobcats is their availability. You can buy them from rental places when they start to get up there in hours. Plus the sheer number of accessories, they have so bloody many that these little things can be turned into damn near anything. Plus there are 2 bobcat sales areas with in 20 miles of the property.

Beest wrote:
I am a little short on time right now so I may have missed something up above. But, what if they stay and you live with them? Or vice versa... Help em out... They teach you... Given the option I would love to have my grandparents with me. They could teach my wife and I a lot. We recently bought a 10 acre farm and are having to relearn skills that have been lost to our parents generation.

I had thought about this, but honestly my grandpa would either kill me or I'd kill him.... We love each other to no end but damn, our politics are.. well... Different. I do have a feeling that they would be up at the house pretty often. Especially when summer comes around, I would be more than happy to have them up and show me how to do things.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:11 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Nice! Our long term plans are to get back to the PNW as well... Lived in Puyallup (stationed at McChord AFB) for 8 years and loved it up there. The godparents for our kids live on long Lake down in Lacey (near Olympia) and we're doing the slow dance negotiation deal to buy two lots next to them.

I'm alao trying to get hired on for a post-retirement gig with a couple different major national companies that have operations up there; one in Lacey, the other in DuPont.

Is that beach or ?? off to the West (left side of pic) of your property line? Doesn't look like a road... edit: Disregard, just saw the description in your post. Don't know how I missed that when I first read your post. :oops:

Still, 200' drop off? Sounds like an awesome natural defense line!

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by 91Eunozs on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:17 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

...also, look into the solar water heaters for your roof, they look like solar panels but just heat water. Those were huge in Germany when we lived there. A friend of ours started out with one to heat a 1,000 liter tank and it worked so well he put in a second system with a 2,500 liter tank that also provided heat for his wet and dry saunas.

The climate over there is very similar to the PNW and though you'd probably not have a lot of luck generating electricity w/solar power those water heaters seemed to work very well.

Very efficient way to heat your home in the Winter too...have the lines run under the floors.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:40 pm 

Yea the more I think about it the less I want solar. I'm thinking, where this property is located the wind blows pretty constant. Maybe not real fast, but constant. I could mount a vertical axis turbine on the corner if the house and have some pretty decent power generated. But the roof mounted solar water heaters is a brilliant idea. They have them all over in Mexico, hadn't thought about that.

I love the PNW, traveled all over the world and every time I come back no matter how amazing the place I came from this is home.

I did get some troubling information about this land today though. My uncle who moved away 30+ years ago upon hearing that my grandparents are planning on giving me the land decided that he might want to come back to live there. I thought that might happen. I think my grandparents thought it might too. So now we'll see. I wrote up a nice 5-10 year plan. I'm going to talk to my grandparents tomorrow and lay out what I plan on doing. I know what strikes at my grandpas cords he wants this place to be "his legacy" and I think some if the improvements I'm planning in the long run are something he'd really like to see. I'll post more when I get some info.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:43 pm 

Wow I'm so jealous. I'm at least 8 years from getting the land I want.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:03 pm 

I'd check into HAWT vs. VAWT on the wind turbine thing both from a cost and efficiency viewpoint. I'm still sorting that stuff out myself. Also, wind works great if you've got it but you'll need either grid power or a big battery bank to handle when it's not there. I live on the edge of a 54 square mile wind turbine farm and we still have an occasional calm day.

The rule of thumb is if there's no wind then there should be sun and if there is no sun you should have wind. This is why I like solar/wind hybrid systems.

Best bet to do it right, whatever you end up doing, is keep power records for the first year on a month-by-month basis along with wind and sun exposure records. This will give you the best place to start sizing a system and deciding what sort of system you want.

Stating the obvious: anything you do to reduce your power needs, like solar water heaters, reduces the size of the system you'll need.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:37 am 

Best of luck with this and congrats should it all work out.

If you do decide to add animals, I would add chickens first if you don't already have fences up.
Fences take some time to put in, and cost a fair bit.
But if you have relatives with chickens you can put in a small coop and run for just a bit of money and time. And they might be willing to let you aquire a few chickens for a good price. They don't take a lot of work, and you can cut your teeth on tending animals without a huge outlay in cash and time.
Rabbits are also fairly easy to raise as hutches are easy enough to build and maintain, and they tend to create a 'surplus' pretty quickly.
They also make great fertilizer for the garden while cleaning up a lot of scraps from your meals.

Again, best of luck ! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:40 pm 

Thanks for the advice tater, solar (for me) would be a project that I would probably STILL do just very long term.... As in I over 10 year ahead of time.

Procyon thanks for the heads up. My mom has chickens, they are pretty easy to take care of. But she's in a suburban environment. Not a lot of predictors to threaten them. This property has fox's, coyotes, feral dog, cats, raccoons, and a large community of raptors. No that they'll threaten the chickens but there's even a a small heard if dear that wonder through occasionally my grandpa said.

As always thanks to everyone for showing interest and throwing out ideas for me. I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:23 pm 

A great opportunity. I don't disagree with anything that has already been posted but let me ask some mundane questions.

What kind of job do you do? Can you telecommute? Can you flex time? work four 10 hour days and spend a three day weekend each week doing projects on the farm.

Don't think you have to move in right away. Stay in you current place do a 4 day 40 hour flex and then spend three days a week on the farm.

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:39 pm 

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
A great opportunity. I don't disagree with anything that has already been posted but let me ask some mundane questions.

What kind of job do you do? Can you telecommute? Can you flex time? work four 10 hour days and spend a three day weekend each week doing projects on the farm.

Don't think you have to move in right away. Stay in you current place do a 4 day 40 hour flex and then spend three days a week on the farm.

I currently work for an airline, I love my job and it's VERY flexible in hours. Currently I can't telecommute (if I change departments I could though) we change shifts pretty often. With my seniority I could hold 4 10's no problem, might be weird hours (but then again weird hours work well to avoid traffic).

I'd probably split my time the first few months to a year between there and my parents (they live a mile from my work).

I'm going to call my grandpa tonight and talk with him about the property, maybe this spring/summer go out and help more with getting wood, and possibly walking though the property with him showing him where I plan on adding things. What I want to do with the garden, mark spots to be leveled, explain my idea (actually someone's on here credit given later) about expanding the pond to perhaps stock some fish. Explain that is want to get a small loader/backhoe to get projects done quicker. This means a lot to me for him to consider/want me to take over the property. So I feel I should explain why I want it and how I could expand on this property and his "legacy".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:24 pm 

Rise RISE!

So I started this a few years ago, since then a LOT has changed. I stopped updating because well, I didn't think I was going to get it. Mom is the executor of the estate, and has told me numerous times she doesn't want it and plans to sell the house once the grandparents move out of it or pass.

Enter 2017, grandparents call me up saying they need my help clearing some dead trees and stuff off the land. Great no problem I'll cut the trees down and bring them to moms since she still burns wood. Well I get up there and they have a LOT of standing dead. I'm still clearing it out over 2+ months into working on the property 1-2 days a week. I've filled moms wood shed completely up and have started staking it at the grandparents as an overflow.

One day a about 3 weeks ago after me and the GF have been working up there clearing/splitting/hauling wood both grandparents come up to us and say "when are you moving in here?" We both took a double take and said whenever you guys move out. I told them (thinking that they already knew) that mom was planning on selling the place when she could because "no one would want it and you (me) work to far away." They said well, I guess we'll just have to will it to you. Come to find out through a friend that willing is no good in this state, the executor of the estate has complete and final say. So I till them this last week, so they are in the process of looking into what they can do to get MY name on the deed (or whatever) for the property so when they move/pass it is mine. This is still some time off grandpa says he wants to stay in it for another 5 years (unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen he's going down hill fast), grandma on the other hand could probably last another 5+ years. They are both on the same page as far as giving it to me, they both built this house together as their "legacy" to the family, and want it to stay in the family.

Anyways long short I'm getting the land/house yay!

Of course being a prepper the first thing I want to do is get the garden and everything else going asap! Well that is still the ideal thing however I think the first year would be spent updating renovating the inside. It is DATED the walls are piss yellow, the walls are textured, the carpet is original, the downstairs has that gross 70s wood paneling etc. The appliances have been updated but not since about the mid 90's and are showing. The other issue is, the house is huge the top floor is about 1200sq/ft, 2 bedroom, with a HUGE kitchen, family dining area, and the "normal" dining area, with a HUGE family room the bathroom is split with the tub/shower and toilet in one room and the sinks in another, but it's all attached to the master bedroom. The downstairs is the same sq/ft as the upstairs but its got the TV room, a den, sewing/laundry, and another split bathroom. it also has a 400-500sqft wood shop that has the central wood head furnace in it. The house is huge but only 2 bedroom. The GF and I will be getting married soon (just need the formality) and plan on kids, most likely 2. But theirs only one extra bedroom while that's not that big of a deal when young the older they get the more they'll want their own room. So taking this into consideration while we are still childless is big.

I'm still in the market for some sort of equipment, I'm leaning toward a mini excavator. It can push dirt and dig holes plus has a MUCH smaller footprint than say, a tractor with a front end loader and a backhoe. I started a thread about mini excavators but it didn't get much traction here, so I've been googling and such a lot recently and looking into it. Other than that..... Small projects like rebuilding cleaning would be top priority when I can make time from the interior renovations.

Anywho, just wanted to update everyone of course input, thoughts, comments, questions, and everything will be of great use to me so feel free to post and let me know what you think.

ETA: Also the work situation changed. I am now at a different department and can telecommute if I want (its practically forced on us actually). And Starting in Jan the GF will be working about 14days a month or so and and of that will only need to commute once ever she'll be gone for most of those and will only need to commute maybe 6 times a month.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:08 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Half,

Working with my dad on a family member's estate... about 2 years later... and still waiting on Big Brother... I can tell you that estate tax will destroy you. If your state has estate tax, try to figure out a way to get the property first (before anyone passes) and call a tax attorney to make sure you have a long enough window without violating tax evasion laws.

That is of course, if it won't start family drama.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 pm 

If your Mom ( estate executor ) wants to sell the property , knowing you want it. There is family drama.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:20 pm 

There will be family drama regardless. My uncle is suppose to get it. He lives on the opposite coast, and would never move out here for it (plus grandparents have said that he's far to crazy and they don't trust him with the house). However, I know he will complain about it. Mom, I'm really not worried about mom, she just doesn't think anyone would want to move out there, and I've honestly never been in a good position to actually move/commute until the last year or two. I'm really not worried about her honestly, I know if it's in MY name when they pass then it'll be fine. I've talked to her about it and she plays it off like I don't really want it blah blah blah. I talked to her and said look I want it and grandparents want me to have it, she's coming to terms with it. I know it's about money for my uncle, my mom isn't worried about the money because she's much better off then the rest of my family.

I think with me going up there she's beginning to realize that I'm serious. Not to mention once I get the place I can work from home within a couple weeks.

I definintely plan on getting it BEFORE they pass, they even said they don't want me to deal with the estate tax so that's what we are looking into currently to try and avoid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm 

Quote:
I know if it's in MY name when they pass then it'll be fine.
If it's in your name only, it will be easier but you might still have a fight. If it's in yours and your grandparents ( joint tenancy) All heirs will have to sign off on it or you will have to pay your grandparents portion of the appraised value to the heirs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 pm 

IANAL, but you might want to consider a Life Estate.

My mom sold her house to me and my sister for $1, and at the same time we set up a life estate that allows her to live there until her death. (We were going to inherit it anyways, but she was concerned about having a large asset in her name when she went on disability.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:25 pm 

ssgcmw wrote:
IANAL, but you might want to consider a Life Estate.

My mom sold her house to me and my sister for $1, and at the same time we set up a life estate that allows her to live there until her death. (We were going to inherit it anyways, but she was concerned about having a large asset in her name when she went on disability.)

Great information there! I'll have to check more into it. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 pm 

Great news! My wife and I are moving to Snohomish county this next summer. Hopefully eastern Snohomish county. Up into state and fed lands. I mean adjacent.

I was born and raised in Skagit county. I had the chance to buy my grandparents place in Darrington. But didn't. Kicking myself. But it wasn't exactly out in the woods. Which is where we want to end up.

What county are you in?

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 pm 

moab wrote:
Great news! My wife and I are moving to Snohomish county this next summer. Hopefully eastern Snohomish county. Up into state and fed lands. I mean adjacent.

I was born and raised in Skagit county. I had the chance to buy my grandparents place in Darrington. But didn't. Kicking myself. But it wasn't exactly out in the woods. Which is where we want to end up.

What county are you in?

This will be Pierce, close to King. It's near Lake Tapps. It's not in the woods by any means. It's got a great view of the valley, Olympics, part of the Cascades, and is a few hundred feet up from the valley so the lahars aren't going to be a problem if/when Rainier blows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
moab wrote:

What county are you in?

This will be Pierce, close to King. It's near Lake Tapps. It's not in the woods by any means. It's got a great view of the valley, Olympics, part of the Cascades, and is a few hundred feet up from the valley so the lahars aren't going to be a problem if/when Rainier blows.

I lived on Lake Tapps for a few months after the MArine Corps. This was back in the 80's. Nice place.

My brother has solar. But he's on the eastside in Wenatchee. Not sure how much difference that makes. But he set up his whole house. He loves it.

My only concern out where were looking is internet. Anyone got the skinny on that? What the options are?

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:30 pm 

moab wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
moab wrote:

What county are you in?

I lived on Lake Tapps for a few months after the MArine Corps. This was back in the 80's. Nice place.

My brother has solar. But he's on the eastside in Wenatchee. Not sure how much difference that makes. But he set up his whole house. He loves it.

My only concern out where were looking is internet. Anyone got the skinny on that? What the options are?

I know where I'm at, which mind you, ISN'T that far out. You are limited to sat TV, and DSL from Century Link. It's not bad but it's not Comcast/Cox/Wave fast. It's stable however.

I think I'm going to top some of the trees so I can get more early sun. Right now unfortunately, you don't get light even in summer till about 10am. The property is on a slope and where the house/garden/garage is down about 30' from the road, and the trees are 100-130'. Not the greatest for solar. However the nice thing is they are on a hill, I've been meaning to set up a weather station there that I can start collecting data of wind speeds. A constant wind of about 6-8 is where a lot of commercial home wind turbines start producing power. So that might be the route I end up going for power.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm pretty sure there's satellite internet (Hughes net or something)... Not sure how reliable or available it is.

Also, my GF's fam lives in the sticks, they have internet boxes from Sprint. Basically it's like 4G to their house but it's pretty slow most days.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:42 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's satellite internet (Hughes net or something)... Not sure how reliable or available it is.

Also, my GF's fam lives in the sticks, they have internet boxes from Sprint. Basically it's like 4G to their house but it's pretty slow most days.

Yeah I get better reception at my grandparents than I do in parts of the city. That was an idea I was pondering for internet. The biggest issue with cell internet is that you don't get as many gigs. I know with Comcast you get something like 500gigs of downloads before they even think about throttling you. Where most cell carriers start at like 20-50gigs.