It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:23 am 

My only internet at home in Whatcom County is through mobile devices and I've been quite happy with it for a few years. I might feel different if I was into video games. For research, email, and Netflix, Sprint has held up just fine for me. What does bug me is sometimes the tablet is not user friendly for some websites and research, and I need to take my laptop somewhere with WiFi. Didn't bug me as much when my favorite pub was 2 blocks down the street, but it closed and now it's a little more annoying.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:38 am 

We started with a mobile device and as soon as it became available switched to wired access.

It was like night and day.

We still can't get a nice T drop like we had in Savannah but the speeds are quadruple and there is no GB limit. We would not have been able to fire the satellite company and gone streaming without it, without giving up the kids shows.

Also it has been remarkably durable. Other than me taking out the buried line (I thought it was on the pole I swear) when planting fruits trees a couple of years ago there have been no issues. The Mobile device needed a hot reset near daily.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:13 pm 

RoneKiln wrote:
My only internet at home in Whatcom County is through mobile devices and I've been quite happy with it for a few years. I might feel different if I was into video games. For research, email, and Netflix, Sprint has held up just fine for me. What does bug me is sometimes the tablet is not user friendly for some websites and research, and I need to take my laptop somewhere with WiFi. Didn't bug me as much when my favorite pub was 2 blocks down the street, but it closed and now it's a little more annoying.

No gig limit?? Interesting, I believe the century internet is pretty fast. But I do gaming and lots of movies, so the wireless may or may not be that great. The other thing is if I work from home I'll be using it nearly nonstop 10 hours a day 4 days a week. So something I'll have to look into as well.

On a different front. I found a small (very small) mini excavator for next to nothing, starts, runs, pushes, and has a thumb on it. It's been sitting on this lot that used to sell equipiment exclusively for years, but they are switching over to cars because the area they are in it doesn't make sense (I don't know how they stayed in business this long in a suburban area selling small heavy equipment).

Next thing for temp housing I will have to check local laws and stuff of course. Going to home depot to check prices for things I stopped (with the gf) to look at the prebuilt sheds they had there. These are reconstructed tiny homes.... We've talked with the grandparents and they are (surprisingly) ok with us clearing and plopping down a small house. Power isn't an issue grandpa planned ahead and has a breaker box that was going to be used for another workshop installed so I can run power from that to the tiny house. Water is another thing grandpa planned ahead for. there's a split both at the pump AND at the tank that can be hooked up. At the pump I'd have to get a tank to hold the water but either way not a big deal. The biggest issue would be sewage. I'd have to get a septic system put in or make an outhouse. Septic would be ideal but there are permits I have to go through and the less redtape and BS I have to deal with the better.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:30 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:

No gig limit?? Interesting, I believe the century internet is pretty fast. But I do gaming and lots of movies, so the wireless may or may not be that great. The other thing is if I work from home I'll be using it nearly nonstop 10 hours a day 4 days a week. So something I'll have to look into as well.

Whether mobile data will work for you in the country is difficult to determine. Where we are, only Verizon or ATT work for data and we tried lots of companies to make sure. Sometimes, even those don't work in the house. We sometimes have to go outside for phone calls. If the data does work in your house, you can probably stream on certain services (the ones that tend to buffer well) but you won't be able to play real-time games or MMORPGs effectively. Most of the companies that tend to work out in the country tend to have usage caps and "unlimited" plans often put the brakes on your speeds after a certain amount of usage. That's a problem for heavy usage like streaming and gaming.

One option is dish providers like Hughsnet and Wild Blue, but they are similarly problematic for streaming and gaming. The problem is the latency. Streaming services that buffer well will probably work, but you can't video chat or play real-time games at all. They also have usage caps, though they tend to be higher than mobile data plans, but they also slow speeds after a certain amount of usage on unlimited plans. We had better luck with dish than mobile data, but neither was ideal for us as streamers and gamers.

Ultimately, we got lucky and our county put up their own microwave tower broadband service. It's very lacking compared to your typical cable internet, but it is worlds better than mobile data or dish services. We can play some real-time games, stream vids even from services that don't buffer well, and even video chat. Our service is unlimited with no slowing of our speeds, but our speeds are only 3mps to begin with. Around here, that's pretty darn impressive. Anywhere near civilization, that's garbage. That's the price of living away from civilization.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:42 pm 

Internet isn't really a worry. As I said currently there's Century Link, it's not quite as fast as Cable internet but it works. The property is only about 5 miles from town however it is off the beaten path. You have to turn down a poorly marked dirt road and follow it for about a mile or so. I'd prefer cable because it is so much faster, however I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

In other news:
I spent 2 days in pouring down rain clearing ivy off trees. Grandpa loves his ivy, the problem is it's been going crazy for the last 5 years and is high up a bunch of trees. Some of it so thick I had to chainsaw it.... I've never seen ivy 2" thick or more before. Still a lot more to do. But the major problem areas are cleared. I think next I'll try removing it. Might have to do something drastic to kill it off. Thinking lye on the leaves and letting it burn through a bit of it.

Next week I'll be removing the genny putting in a new one then taking the old one apart (think the gas and oil is bad) and trying to get it back up and running as back up or so mom can have a larger one.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...