DUmbest thing HOA neighbors complain about

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

nathat

Re: DUmbest thing HOA neighbors complain about

Post by nathat » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:47 am

HOA shows the problem of people in general on a small scale.

situation: Man lets his grass grow 2 feet tall in his front yard.

HOA-sends letter, maybe fines the man, and threatens to take more action.

A normal person in a good neighborhood-check on the family and make sure everything is ok, offers to cut their grass for them, has dinner with family and makes fun of the jungle they're growing.

HOA is nothing more than people who try to litigate what they want in a neighborhood instead of being a normal person and trying to speak to, help, and enjoy their neighbors. $300 fine for grass that is 2 feet tall, and a dead wife all in the same month sure does suck. Ask my uncle.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:38 am

nathat wrote:HOA shows the problem of people in general on a small scale.

A normal person in a good neighborhood-check on the family and make sure everything is ok, offers to cut their grass for them, has dinner with family and makes fun of the jungle they're growing.

HOA is nothing more than people who try to litigate what they want in a neighborhood instead of being a normal person and trying to speak to, help, and enjoy their neighbors. $300 fine for grass that is 2 feet tall, and a dead wife all in the same month sure does suck. Ask my uncle.
This - This. Right. Here.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:57 pm

I think the worst one I've had (not really the HOA's fault) is that when I went to refinance I was turned down because some investment company owns more than 20% of all the units in the HOA. When the new banking regs were handed down after the housing crash they made that rule. They consider owning 20%+ gives someone the power to manipulate the home prices in the area and disqualifies anyone from a Fanny or Freddy loan. I secured a in-house loan from a local bank but I am hosed if I want to sell because most people that buy town homes don't have the cash in hand to pay for it, or can't get a local bank to lend them the money. :vmad:

I did get fined $25 for leaving my trash can on the curb. I cooked seafod, and trash pickup is on Wednesday. I had to leave Wednesday until Friday for work. No freaking way was I holding onto that stinky trash for another week.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

mbaz73
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78
Dawn of the Dead '04
28 Days Later - although not technically a zombie movie

Post by mbaz73 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:17 pm

My Sis in Law lives in a HOA in Tenn. and their next door neighbor is the community busy body...woman has no husband or family near by and nothing to do except inspect every aspect of my Sis's property to ensure compliance...

My Sis is now growing hops en masse to erect a natural barrier to block some of the neighbor's windows. Not bad like most stories but supports how difficult people can be...
BLOG | YOUTUBE

11 Bravo
"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
"If your attack is going too well, you’re walking into an ambush."
"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."
- Infantry Journal

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:26 pm

I blame it all on Burger King. They started all this rubbish with that damned "Have it your way" nonsense. That's where all this "entitlement" and "I deserve this" bullshit started. It spread from there to "I don't like your stuff being like that, so you have to change it."

This is why I prefer Wendy's.

:mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Anomic1

Post by Anomic1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:59 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:I blame it all on Burger King. They started all this rubbish with that damned "Have it your way" nonsense. That's where all this "entitlement" and "I deserve this" bullshit started. It spread from there to "I don't like your stuff being like that, so you have to change it."

Without wendys the world would not know how delicious french fries are when dipped into chili!!!!

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:05 pm

Anomic1 wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:I blame it all on Burger King. They started all this rubbish with that damned "Have it your way" nonsense. That's where all this "entitlement" and "I deserve this" bullshit started. It spread from there to "I don't like your stuff being like that, so you have to change it."

Without wendys the world would not know how delicious french fries are when dipped into chili!!!!
Off topic, but if you want amazing chili fries go to All Star Doughnuts on the corner of 5th and Harrison in San Francisco. Yeah it's California, and yeah it's San Francisco. Regardless when I lived in a warehouse across the street from it that place was amazing. It wasn't because that's all I could afford, the food is just that damn good for greesy spoon food.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:03 pm

we don't have an HOA in our development, but the Indian lady down the street (as in middle east Indian, not native american) threatened to go to the HOA about my American flag hanging from the front of my house. When i told her we don't have a HOA, she started yelling and screaming calling me a liar and threatened to call the police. I said here is my phone. She called the sheriff and they came out. while they were en-route to my house I had the wife pour me a glass of sweet tea. The sheriff then ran her off and told her she will be arrested for trespassing, but before she left, the sheriff who also lives in our development said who have you been paying for HOA, because we don't have one. The lady got very bright eyed, and ran home.... i think someone got scammed!
2008 F-250 6.4 Powerstroke -Zombie Squad fleet number ZS0149
Owner of Zombie Diesel Performance
"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:05 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:[...] My neighbor on the HOA side is a good friend of mine and a fellow ham operator. He has two teenage boys and between them, him and his wife there's 3 cars, a pickup, and 4 motorcycles they have. And no overnight on-street or driveway parking allowed in the HOA. [...]
They can't park a car in their own driveway??

We live out in the middle of nowhere with no HOA and I will never live with a HOA. I had a hard enough time having a demanding landlord before we bought our own place. We have a neighbor down the road who seems to think we should have a HOA (on her terms, of course) and she is appalled by my property, but so long as she isn't butting into my business and coming over here, she doesn't even have to see it. I don't like neighbors, so I don't keep them close. Some of the crap in this thread and similar stuff I've heard elsewhere is just ridiculous.

ETA: I do have to see her property when I go by since I live at the end of the road and I have not gone to gripe at her about the fallen trees on her property that she and her husband haven't bothered taking care of since hurricane Irene. It doesn't bother me how she keeps her property, but you can bet she would hold that sort of thing against me on my own property.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Anianna wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:[...] My neighbor on the HOA side is a good friend of mine and a fellow ham operator. He has two teenage boys and between them, him and his wife there's 3 cars, a pickup, and 4 motorcycles they have. And no overnight on-street or driveway parking allowed in the HOA. [...]
Not as uncommon as you'd think.

A neighbor of mine down the street a couple houses just got a violation letter for "Storing a vehicle" in her driveway. It's a VW thing under a car cover (to keep the roof protected from the sun & snow etc.) - she has her Jeep there as well, and 2 Harleys in the garage, but since the VW is under a cover it's in violation. wtf.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:31 pm

DJH wrote:
Anianna wrote:
Not as uncommon as you'd think.

A neighbor of mine down the street a couple houses just got a violation letter for "Storing a vehicle" in her driveway. It's a VW thing under a car cover (to keep the roof protected from the sun & snow etc.) - she has her Jeep there as well, and 2 Harleys in the garage, but since the VW is under a cover it's in violation. wtf.
I just cannot fathom that. I can understand they might have a rule against storing non-functioning vehicles, but not being able to park in your own driveway is just absurd.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:10 am

Truth be told, it *is* a driveway, and not a parkway ;)

My old subdivision had a similar rule. Long-term parking had to be in the garage. The rule is mostly to prevent people from keeping RV's and boats in their driveways over the winter.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:49 am

Semantics: you can't park on the parkway, either. :lol:

I can understand boats and RVs. I can't understand not being able to park the vehicles you use regularly in the driveway. I can even understand reasonable limits on the number of cars in the driveway.

Regardless, it's not for me. I'll stay out of the burbs and stick to my wide open spaces.

∩(=^_^=)

NWDub

Post by NWDub » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:16 pm

nathat wrote:HOA shows the problem of people in general on a small scale.

quoted for truth

TrippyJoey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead

Post by TrippyJoey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Never lived in a neighborhood with a HOA but did have to deal with two groups of neighbors that considered themselves a HOA.

First time was when my dad had to close the tire shop cause the landlord increased the rent from $500 to $1200 a month. We had the tire changing machine, balancer, and over 80 tires in a large 20x40' gazebo in our backyard. But all the stuff only covered half of the gazebo and it had 2ft of space away from the edges of the gazebo and the tires were covered to prevent critters from getting inside. Well the neighbor considered that an eye sore so she called it in and reported it. After the officials came and checked the situation they said everything was correctly stored we just needed to cover the machines and get rid of some tires. The neighbors though got a large fine cause the carport they built was only 3 inches from the property line :clap:
The only good zombie is the one with a hole thru its forehead.

curryman

Post by curryman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:49 pm

My stupid brother bought a house in a HOA neighborhood even though i told him a million times not to. Many, many issues from day one. The funniest one was the "trash conundrum". They could only put the rolly bin out starting at 6AM on trash day. His neighborhood has one entrance/exit and is a big flat o shape. At 5:45 on trash day the trash truck would come screeching into the loop and do mach 3 around the loop leaving with no trash at 5:47. A month of this crap and he and some other annoyed residents got revenge. The trash truck came screeching in and they blocked the exit. To get out he drove through the entrance gate, tore it right the fuck off. Mind you, 6 weeks of no garbage service that they PAY for and the asshole wrecks the gate. Week 7 and they plan to block the exit gate too. Trash truck going mach 5 at 5:15AM. Week 8 and 20 or more trash laden pissed off people are ready. No truck. Week 9 involves the truck driving through the median over the palm trees and addition sign. They finally organized and phone bombed the company about 4000 times a day. End result was a change in the rules and a garbage company that couldn't put the bins down without beating the shit out of them(residents had to pay for broken ones).

Curryman

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:41 pm

I bought a lot in my current neighborhood and hung on it for several years before building. There was one set of by-laws when I bought and I planned my house according to those rules. Well it turns out the by-laws were amended and I didn't get notified about it. Apparently the minimum square footage was raised and my planned house was too small by about 200 square feet. At the same time, the ownership of the HOA was transferred from the neighborhood investors to a HOA board of lot owners.

I had gotten my plans approved by the investors before this and as soon as my foundation started getting built I began getting letters DEMANDING that I submit my plans to the new HOA for approval. Uh no. You can't change the rules on me in the middle of the game. I just ignored it and I found out that one of the board members actually when to my builder and demanded to see the plans because she had HOA authority. LOL

Bottom line is that I never let them see my plans and I seem to get a lot of dirty looks from the more "active" HOA members. Screw em.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

hutchb25

Post by hutchb25 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:40 pm

I can't count how many properties my fiancee and I looked at, loved, and had to pass over because they had covenants in place. Even up here in N. Idaho we have the cancer. There was one place waaay up on a mountain, like 16-20 acres we loved. There were only 2 other houses built in the 'development', but the covenants in place were just enough to make me not want to risk it even though they 'probably' wouldn't have been enforced. Like no discharge of firearms...on my TWENTY acres. Luckily we moved in to a 'neighborhood' where everyone basically minds their own business but smiles and waves and is happy to help if you need it. But it took a long time to find...

Had a friend in California who tried to put solar panels on his roof and got brought under the thumb of his HOA. Can't believe anybody ever thought this was a smart idea.
"Listen to me! Sometimes, possession is an abstract concept..."

Anomic1

Post by Anomic1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 pm

One of the places i was looking at was 15 wooded acres in a hoa of mostly weekend/second homes. 1'of the covenants was prior hoa approval was needed prior to cutting doen a tree! 15 acres! Wooded!

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:36 pm

My parents place got pretty bad. Bad enough that when I started cleaning it up, we just took a small bulldozer to the front yard. When I cleared out the back yard, we hauled over a ton of garbage to the landfill. That's not counting yard waste. Just garbage.

HOAs can become just as abusive as any organization, but they exist to protect peoples property values from neighbors like my parents. My parents literally brought down the value of their neighbors property. Their "rights to their property" did not stop at their property line. They impacted the lives of the neighbors in a bad way.

Their neighbors love me now. I regularly have gifts of food brought over when my car is in their driveway.

I'd be very wary of living in an HOA and study the rules very carefully before agreeing. But a competently managed HOA can be a very valuable resource.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”