DUmbest thing HOA neighbors complain about

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anomic1

DUmbest thing HOA neighbors complain about

Post by Anomic1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:24 am

Thank god i no longer live in a HOA but here are the dumbest things i had comolaints about.

1. Excessive bird feeders-- i had 3 on a 1/2 acre lot
2. Non approved deck-- i sent 2 registered mail signature reciept.
Bylaws say if not responded to in 60days its auto approved. 4 years later
I get a letter from HOA deck needs removed-- ya right!
3. Same deck i put a popup camper under it. Had the cross hatch panels covering
Bottom and trailer had dark tarp completely impossible to see from the street. Neighboor
Saw me putting it in and complained to HOA and i got a letter.
4. Had a small landscape trailer parked in street for fri-sun for project.--hoa
Letter said i had abandoned vehicles on property trailer is tagged!

Non stop crap like that. Even though i was trying to follow the rules constant
Harrasment. What is the point of owning a house if the neighboors can tell
You what to do???

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Re: DUmbest thing HOA neighbors complain about

Post by Manimal2878 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:56 am

As a homeowner in an HOA area you have a right to go to the board meetings, or even run for office and be on the board yourself, and put a stop to that nonsense.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 am

I rented at a place that had HOA rules and I wasnt allowed to park my work truck in the driveway because it had a company logo on the side.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:44 am

I don't live in an HOA (wouldn't if they gave me the house for free), but I do live next to one. My house, and my neighbor's across the street, flank the entrance to an HOA development, and the people from the HOA are always trying to get us to adhere to their rules.

I usually outline the house with Christmas lights around Thanksgiving, and take 'em down in the spring when the weather warms up (because the cold makes it difficult for me), though they only get lit from Thanksgiving through the first week of January. One year we had a heavy snow in late January so I plugged them in and went outside to take pictures of the house. It looked nice and I left them on overnight. The next day someone from the HOA was knocking on my front door at 0800, demanding that I take my lights down now because they were against the rules. (Did I mention this person had to climb through 2'-3' drifts to get to my front door?) It was carefully explained to them that the HOA stops at my property line, which they did not believe. At that point they were told to get the hell off my property or be arrested for trespassing (there are "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" signs on all sides of the property), and that I was leaving the damn lights up, and ON, until Easter. (I did too - they're all LED and I think it cost me 50 cents in electricity)

Later that same year, in the summer, a "representative" of the HOA knocked on my door to tell me that my lawn needed mowing, and that I really should adhere to their 2.25" "standard maximum grass height". That person was also run off my property, after explaining to them that county regulations said I could let my grass grow to 12" (based on acreage) and that I just might plant some corn out there too.

The following year the HOA hired a contractor to run fiber throughout the development, to be connected with the Cox cable and Verizon systems. The boxes for both those systems are in one corner of my yard, and there's a 10' easement along my property line for that purpose. It became a regular three ring circus though when I chased their contractor off my property after his crew decided to drag heavy air lines through my front yard from the street, breaking two of my young fruit trees off at ground level. The contractor foreman tried telling me I had no right to stop him, and Mr. Mossberg and I stood on my deck and politely, but firmly, disagreed with him and told him his crew could use the easement, but that's it. Eventually this involved three sheriff's deputies, a sergeant, a lieutenant, a K9 unit, INS (my wife is an officer and half the crew was illegal) and a couple of friends from the FBI who came by "just to observe". We finally ended up with the easement being clearly marked off in white lines and the contractor and crew being told they'd be arrested and changed with trespassing if they did not confine their activities to that area.

I'm waiting for their next visit...

The best part? My neighbor on the HOA side is a good friend of mine and a fellow ham operator. He has two teenage boys and between them, him and his wife there's 3 cars, a pickup, and 4 motorcycles they have. And no overnight on-street or driveway parking allowed in the HOA. They have a two car garage, and manage to fit two cars and all four bikes in there, but not the pickup and one car, so I let them park those just over the property line next to my shed, which has its own gravel driveway entrance. It's actually closer to their front door that way then if they were to park at the curb. The HOA has tried, and failed, to stop him from parking there. They're also not too happy about the antennas I have on my property (one of which is actually my buddy's, with the coax fed underground, under the fence between the two properties, and direct to his basement ham shack) and my big truck in my driveway gets a lot of dirty looks from some of the board members when they walk by the house. Fwonk 'em. :mrgreen:

ETA:

my-place par KJ4VOV, on ipernity

You can see where the HOA starts (where the sidewalks start) and see my truck in my driveway and my buddy's truck parked next to my shed.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:27 am

Did the HOA pay for the fruit trees?

As far as antennas go, they make some nice stealth verticals disguised as a flagpole and it's federal law that you can put a flagpole in, HOA or not, and fly Old Glory if that's what you want to do.

How sad is it that there's a Federal Law to keep HOA's in check?

I find some of the county rules to be a bit odd and sometimes stifling. There is no way in hell I could stay sane in an HOA - that's not hyperbole.

kmcdon3960

Post by kmcdon3960 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:40 am

There ought to be a federal law banning HOAs.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:50 am

Tater Raider wrote:Did the HOA pay for the fruit trees?

As far as antennas go, they make some nice stealth verticals disguised as a flagpole and it's federal law that you can put a flagpole in, HOA or not, and fly Old Glory if that's what you want to do.

How sad is it that there's a Federal Law to keep HOA's in check?

I find some of the county rules to be a bit odd and sometimes stifling. There is no way in hell I could stay sane in an HOA - that's not hyperbole.
Pay for the trees? Ahahahahahahahahahah! :lol: You're a funny guy Tater. :rofl:

As for the stealth antennas, yes, and they even work halfway decent, but when he passed his General I gifted my buddy a restored GAP Challenger. A friend gave it to me for nothing after a wind storm snapped it in half at his place. It'd been up 25 years and he figured he'd gotten his money's worth out of it. I called GAP and bought replacement parts, then cleaned and polished the old parts while I waited for the new ones. Total cost was about $60 and it looks and works like brand new. Far cheaper than one of those stealth antennas.

(Though he and I have discussed stringing a wire between the peaks of our two houses and using it for a shared antenna. It's just the right distance (102' and 35' AGL) for it, and the wire would be almost invisible.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:16 pm

We got a complaint that our trellis (not sure I got that word right) out front is crooked. And a letter from the HOA. It went away when we responded that the design review committee had approved the thing, and that of course it's not straight, the posts are natural cedar tree trunks. They don't grow that way.

We also got a complaint when a vehicle repair took longer than I anticipated (was shipped an incorrect replacement transmission, had to return it and get the right one sent) which left my car on jack stands for a couple weeks. In reply, I mentioned that I'd hate to think the HOA was discriminating against lower income members of the community who could not afford to take their cars in to shops for work (Our city requires developers to include a certain number of low-income housing units - which my fiance was when she bought this house under the affordable housing program here) and the complaint disappeared and we received a call from the association manager asking how long we anticipated the car being inoperative and mentioning that we didn't need to worry about anything anymore.

There have been some pretty good derps here. They attempted to ban any vehicles with company logos on them, and anything with dual wheels (dually pickups etc.)

We also had a neighbor constantly complaining about cars parked in the street "ruining her view" who was told in the community newsletter to stop complaining as it was perfectly legal for vehicles to be parked there. Another neighbor was telling us about how a person complained about his wind chimes making noise and that they didn't retire here to be kept up all night by them, to which his priceless reply was "maybe you should have chosen a retirement community then."

Overall the HOA here isn't that bad. They keep the common areas nice, they plow the roads when it snows, and they generally mind their own biz. They really only take actions when residents make specific complaints. My fiance, who I moved in with a few years back, just didn't have any idea what she was getting into when she bought a home in a HOA community. She now realizes her mistake and our next home will be HOA free.

The problem is, you can buy a home in a non-HOA area, and other homeowners can create an HOA for the area without your consent, and you'll either have to join or leave. It's BS.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

slicknickns
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead, 1977

Post by slicknickns » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 pm

"We left the communists in Laos and the home owners association in Orange County." - Minh from King Of The Hill

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:44 pm

I do not live in an HOA community, but there are deed restrictions. That means someone can complain directly to the county, and if so inclined, can sue that person to make the changes required by the deed restrictions.

Well, one of our deed restrictions is that all retaining walls need to be 24 inches from the sidewalk, unless built as an original part of the development. I am outside cleaning leaves up when a gentleman walks up to my retaining wall with a tape measure(it abuts the sidewalk, lol). Since I was already outside, I approach, and before I can say anything, he intorduces himself as a county employee and he is measuring the retaining walls in the neighborhood because me, and three of my neighbors, were not in compliance with the counties ordinance. I explain to him that the walls are original (no clue if they are, but they are original to my purchase and the purchase was approved by the county) and we proceed to chat about the deed restrictions. Apparently, one self-righteous neighbor called the county 27 times to complain in a months time and that is why the man was out there noting the code violations.

It didn't take me long to find out who the person was that complained, and funnily enough, that person is in direct violation of 3 codes. :clownshoes:

Moral of the story? There are always going to be people who thnk they know what is best for everyone. My job is to ensure they can never forcefully impose their beliefs on me.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:24 pm

DJH wrote: The problem is, you can buy a home in a non-HOA area, and other homeowners can create an HOA for the area without your consent, and you'll either have to join or leave. It's BS.
How would that be possible? Without an HOA being extant when I bought my property, how could anyone possibly impose one after the fact?
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 pm

jdavidboyd wrote:
DJH wrote: The problem is, you can buy a home in a non-HOA area, and other homeowners can create an HOA for the area without your consent, and you'll either have to join or leave. It's BS.
How would that be possible? Without an HOA being extant when I bought my property, how could anyone possibly impose one after the fact?

It's not common, and it's hard as heck for people to form them without consent of all in the area, but it can happen. I don't think that legally they can force you to join, but they can harass you to no end and make your life hell until you leave.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Anomic1

Post by Anomic1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:As a homeowner in an HOA area you have a right to go to the board meetings, or even run for office and be on the board yourself, and put a stop to that nonsense.
My old hoa's bylaws required first deed holders to vote to change anything major. Guess how hard it is to get 2/3 of first deed holders to vote for something in a 10 year old neighboorhood??"

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:24 pm

KJ4VOV wrote: I usually outline the house with Christmas lights around Thanksgiving, and take 'em down in the spring when the weather warms up (because the cold makes it difficult for me), though they only get lit from Thanksgiving through the first week of January. One year we had a heavy snow in late January so I plugged them in and went outside to take pictures of the house. It looked nice and I left them on overnight.

Well, that's your problem right there. You clearly like to have fun, enjoy beautiful things and have a tolerance for serendipity. Maybe a penchant for non-conformity too. You represent everything joyless fucks HOA's hate.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:18 pm

On the flip side it's hard to sympathize with people who move into a HOA and refuse to follow the most basic rules or insist they don't have to follow any rules.

I won't live in an HOA because I understand what that means and I choose not to, right now, but maybe when I get older I might. My BIL and a friend sit on the boards of their HOA's and tell me the stories of the battles people have with the boards over the stupidest shit. People who insist they can do what ever they want because their home is their castle, puts a draw bridge in their front yard and act surprised when they get a letter. Or 10' cyclone fence with barbed wire, or tear up the landscaping and put in a desert motif, or paint their house neon colors when everyone else house are all matching colors. A gun range? Seriously?
... and outbuildings. What part of "NO OUTBUILDINGS" is not clear? Not a tool shed, not a gazebo, not a pottery studio. Its' always the people who have gotten 6 letters in the past 3 years who still act surprised when they get another letter telling them the same thing, different day.

People have a right to form associations, and enforce their rules. I don't have to join them.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:41 pm

Rains on Monday, by Friday every house has weeds growing in the rocks (AZ, "low maintenance yards" are rock).

By the weekend when most people are off from work to deal with the weeds (trust me, we POUR weed killer on the entire front yard), everyone has a "friendly reminder" in their mailbox to pull their weeds.

Really?

Of course except for the douches with a full front yard full of grass that waste our precious water dousing them every morning.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:38 pm

Some people like HOA's because it can help maintain property values.

I am not one of those people. No, not planning on painting my house purple and yellow tiger-stripe but I'll be damned if I'd sign away that right willingly.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:12 am

Dave_M wrote:Some people like HOA's because it can help maintain property values.

I am not one of those people. No, not planning on painting my house purple and yellow tiger-stripe but I'll be damned if I'd sign away that right willingly.
Purple and yellow tiger stripes, neatly done, would have been awesome, relatively.

As someone whose previous neighbors proceeded to fill their yard (directly in front of my living room window, because of the way the houses were angled) with at least 6 non-functional vehicles, 2 non functional boats, a couple of non-functioning appliances, all sorts of cheap plastic kids toys that they never picked up, (not counting their functional but not pretty vehicles since they never built the garage, nor finished the addition on the house), I completely understand the impulse to think a HOA would have saved me from the nightmare selling my old house would have been if they hadn't been foreclosed on and the property bought at auction and cleaned up before we needed to move. Literally, we're talking about the difference between being underwater on the mortgage vs just barely not.

I still think HOA's are the greater of the evils, tho. I never said boo to my neighbors about this, they were otherwise sweet people without a lick of sense, I HAD NO RECOURSE OR LEVERAGE WHATSOEVER and it'd've just pissed them off. I get the people who think they'd rather have the HOA, I just don't agree.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

mwestjeeper

Post by mwestjeeper » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:12 pm

I live in one, but it isn't bad. I don't have neighbors who are likely to complain unless something is pretty far out there.

I have a chunk of $ tied up in the property, and I like the fact that there is a limit to how poorly someone can maintain their crib, and to how junky it can become.

The only rule that really affects me, is the 24 hour rule for RV's. I pay to store mine in the cave, but when I'm packing / unpacking sometimes it sits there a few days until i can take it back. I have even had it in the driveway from a Sun nite til Fri afternoon, nobody minds. Since they know I store it elsewhere, they know I'm not trying to keep it there permanently.

I don't mind the rules, because I also wouldn't want to live next to an RV in a driveway on a permanent basis.

In short, our HOA has a mentality that it is more of a safe-guard against things getting out of hand, rather than a nit-picking institution. Bend the rules a bit, nobody flips out. But get too lax, and the rules are there to whip you back into shape. And since a good chunk of our home values are based on the homes around us and their sale prices, I like it.
Former Jarhead, 0331

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:16 pm

duodecima wrote:
Dave_M wrote:Some people like HOA's because it can help maintain property values.

Purple and yellow tiger stripes, neatly done, would have been awesome, relatively.

As someone whose previous neighbors proceeded to fill their yard (directly in front of my living room window, because of the way the houses were angled) with at least 6 non-functional vehicles, 2 non functional boats, a couple of non-functioning appliances, all sorts of cheap plastic kids toys that they never picked up, (not counting their functional but not pretty vehicles since they never built the garage, nor finished the addition on the house), I completely understand the impulse to think a HOA would have saved me from the nightmare selling my old house would have been if they hadn't been foreclosed on and the property bought at auction and cleaned up before we needed to move. Figuratively, we're talking about the difference between being underwater on the mortgage vs just barely not.

I still think HOA's are the greater of the evils, tho. I never said boo to my neighbors about this, they were otherwise sweet people without a lick of sense, I HAD NO RECOURSE OR LEVERAGE WHATSOEVER and it'd've just pissed them off. I get the people who think they'd rather have the HOA, I just don't agree.
HOAs vary in power and dickholery. We considered setting one up the last place I lived in FL with cvery limited powers, basically a way to ensure that everyone did their part to maintain the road and whatnot.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:27 pm

I am blessed with an HoA that does not give a shit so long as you pay your yearly due, mostly because they have so many forclosed / abandoned houses in my nieghborhood that those lawns and such look so bad compared to most normal homes that are just poorly maintained.

techmonkey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by techmonkey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Mine is pretty lenient, although I did get a notice one time to remove my weeds in the front yard accompanied by a picture of me spraying said weeds.

I do have a friend that lives in a very strict one. I was at his house one day and I ran my wheels onto the low, sloped curb in front of his house. I was only there for half an hour, but he got a notice with a picture of my car that he would get a fine if the vehicle was on the curb again. He just replied that it wasn't his car and he didn't know whose it was. I assume that the HOA narc lives across from him.

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:23 pm

I absolutely hate HOAs. Never owned but have rented inside them before. I also truly hate apartment complexes for many of the same reasons.

At that HOA house I had to travel for six months. The crew I paid up front to take care of the lawn didn't do it. I came back to a three grand fee. Yeah that was a nice one ain't it? Just automatically assumed I didn't do anything to take care of things while I was gone. Showed the proof still forced to pay.

What I can't stand about HOA is that it is basically a micro government enforcing what are in most part extremely silly rules and regulations that truly make no damn difference. They want everything to look the same thinking that's what is truly important for a home and those around them to maintain a specific value of absurd. Because of this mentality everything is always uniform, dull and just plain silly.

Do people truly think that a garden is ugly? What if you have an RV why should you have to pay more to store it elsewhere than your driveway just to make someone else happy?

I find generally people will do the right thing. Just talk to someone that's got a bunch of shit in their yard such as rusted cars and I'm sure it can be taken care of. Maybe find out that they cannot pay to have them removed. If it bothers one that much offer to help them. It really ain't all that damn difficult.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”