Electric fencing and the paw

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anomic1

Electric fencing and the paw

Post by Anomic1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:43 am

I picked up 3 weaner pigs. Currently 15lbs and in a 8x12 barn stall with deep straw. I would like to move them out ASAP! For obvious reasons. I currently have a 48" woven wire perimeter fence but no paddocks. I would like to build 1 solid woven wire or cattle panel paddock about 1/4acre to rotate in, hold/seperate animals, and it will be situated where i can back truck up on a hill to unload/load animals. That one will be solid fencing since it will be used more and have more pressure on the animals from loading etc.

For the rotational paddocks i keep coming back to electric. So much cheaper, can be moved around, and i can set up different paddocks for different situations/times of year wont be faced eith fixed paddocks from permament fence. The downside is i hate to buy stuff that will be useless in the paw. Even a solar fence will need batteries which only last so long etc etc. do i want to get home from a power outage and find all my bbq gone??? Should i just get some big batteries and have plenty of spares and go solar?

Btw as a true prepper i decided to get 1 male and 2 females just in case paw comes soon and then i can breed them!

Here they are! Ossabow boar and different moms a tamworth, hampshire, and large black.

KYZHunters

Re: Electric fencing and the paw

Post by KYZHunters » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:55 am

Pigs are smart; from my experience, once they learn what the electric fence is all about they won't keep trying it. The lady I bought my first sows from didn't even have her fence 'hot' and moved her girls around quite easily. One time I was castrating piglets and their squealing freaked the sow out. She went through a woven wire fence, crashed through a gate but stopped at the single strand electric fence.
I'd train them with a very hot AC charger and then switch to solar. Since solar chargers don't have near the oomph of the AC types having a good ground and keeping the wire weed free is critical. Also consider a high vis tape vice wire so there is no doubt where the line is.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”