40 Knots Everyone should know

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GearJedi

40 Knots Everyone should know

Post by GearJedi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Pretty handy guide! Wasn't sure where to stick this but I agree that everyone should know atleast some of these knots. Shamefully I only know a handful, but will be working on improving that asap

http://www.survivalmagazine.org/outdoor ... ould-know/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Re: 40 Knots Everyone should know

Post by mystic_1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Good reference image. I think anyone would be doing well if they knew how to tie even 10 of those knots properly. Sadly, most people seem to know less than five.

I have one of these somewhere, it's handy.

There are also some knot tying guides that you can get as smartphone or tablet apps, which include animations. Sometimes it can be hard to puzzle out a knot from a static picture, unless you have a good mechanical aptitude.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:26 pm

This is great guide. That said IMO there are are really only 4 knots that everyone must know how to tie and if you do you can make these work for damn near anything.

1) The key knot is a bowlin. You can use this in any application where you need a loop.
2) The second two knots are very similar but the reason you need to know both is that one is a poor knot for securing things and the other which is very similar is a better knot. These are square knot and the sheet bend. The sheet bend is perfect for joining two dissimilar size lines to one another. The square knot should be avoided unless...well I have never found anything that want to secure that poorly.
3) The final knot is a figure 8 knot which keeps a sheet (line/rope) from running though a block and falling out.

You should be able to tie these 4 knots with your eyes closed.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:29 pm

I would add Truckers hitch (for securing a load) and Circus hitch (for ropes and wires that are too stiff for regular knots like steel cable).
Last edited by CitizenZ on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Agreed, I use bowlins quite frequently, it's one of my favorite knots.

I was using figure 8 knots and surgeons knots for a long time before I realized they were "official" knots with names and everything. (played with rope a lot as a kid)

The other knot that I use quite frequently is the truckers hitch It's incredibly useful when you need to cinch sometime down tightly.

I must admit that I don't know the sheet bend as well as I should. Must practice that one more.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:45 pm

My basic list would be....

Square
Clove hitch (usually finished with a bowtie)
Bowtie
Bowlin
Double figure 8
Truckers hitch
Full hitch (taught line)
Sheet bend
Fisherman's
Circus hitch
Slip hitch

Also know that most knots need to be "finished" with a half hitch, bowtie or some other knot to be complete.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

GearJedi

Post by GearJedi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Have seen those cards before, not a bad idea.

This may sound odd but you'd be amazed at how often I used the figure 8 and traced back thru figure 8, I can use it Most situations and it's very secure

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:25 pm

The double figure 8 is usually the recommended knot for rock climbing for your harness or any life line. It will never slip or pinch the rope. I have hung from them many times.

GearJedi

Post by GearJedi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Yep with it you can secure a rope to just about anything

NWDub

Post by NWDub » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:43 pm

the only way i know how to tie a bowline is one handed.

that being said i can do it in less than 3 seconds. cool party trick but annoying when tying small ropes

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:17 pm

raptor wrote:The square knot should be avoided unless...well I have never found anything that I want to secure that poorly.
It's useful for tying up plastic groundcloths that I didn't care about...the old 11 mil plastic sheeting that cost about 25 cents a square foot (back in the 90s, when I was just starting in Scouts). It looked like crap, especially after a few trips, but to this day I still have not found a more bombproof groundcloth. :lol:

Wow...I still remember how to tie 15 of those 40 knots...guess Boy Scouts sunk a little deeper into my memory than I thought it did...

I was never taught that the chain hitch was different from the timber hitch, I always thought it was all part of the same knot...either way, those two combined are a godsend when you need to haul a log/tree with just some rope and elbow grease. Taughtline hitch is always a good one to use, especially when staking out a tent fly or tarp. Sheepshank is amazingly useful when you find out you have a bit of slack in the rope and you're too lazy to just untie/retie one end of it (or you're not in a position to). Half-hitch (and two half-hitch) is a good way to lock a slipknot into place, but can still be taken apart easily when needed (hint - makes for a really fast way to put up/take down hammocks without buying straps). Clove hitch is a great way to anchor a rope end...bowlines and bowline-on-bights are darn useful, though I never did catch on to tying a bowline one-handed. I need to go back and mess with that some more...
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

kwailo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kwailo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:35 am

Equally important to knowing knots, is knowing how to select, store and care for your rope.

I used to do a fair bit of rigging and hoisting, and I feel the 5 most important knots are; Bowline, Figure Eight, Catspaw, Clove Hitch and Tautline Hitch.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:24 pm

I know 19 of those.... Although what the hell do you use a Granny for?
A Blackwall hitch is a poor choice when a Cat's paw is just better and not much harder to tie
Disappointed theres not a Dolly knot (Trucker's hitch ?) on the list

Anyone use a Pierrepoint hitch (Hangman's noose), I've been told that they're ideal if you're after a sliding loop that will not come loose
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

azrancher

Post by azrancher » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:38 pm

As my first post here, I would like to add a very useful knot that I've always called a locking clove hitch.

You make it by taking a loop in one hand, holding the two ends in the other hand and allowing it to fall into a figure 8 arrangement, you then take the two ends and slip that double loop over what ever you need to tie down tight. It makes a normal clove hitch except with the two ends criss crossing under the "hitch" it will not come loose.

Rancher

daduck

Post by daduck » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:51 pm

I'm not quite sure how to cull the list of knots, several have more than one name, others may not be valuable enough to bother learning. A sheet bend secures the corner of a tarp/blanket/camoflage screen, the trucker's hitch tightens any line. Allow for the obvious use of bolin/boline , along with sheepshank to shorten a long rope without cutting it, and the figure eight for a stopknot or a loop that doesn't lose strength. I reckon these five would see me through most scenarios. Just know hangmans noose, only used it once, that to tie a log to a swing.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:20 am

NWDub wrote:the only way i know how to tie a bowline is one handed.

that being said i can do it in less than 3 seconds. cool party trick but annoying when tying small ropes
This is the only way I know how also, my Dad (scoutmaster) taught us that way. It's use full if you need to tie a rope around you while hanging from it, provided your single hand grip is strong enough to support yourself. It does suck though to try and tie it around a small object. I should practice knots more.
I had a knot fail last week, I was hanging a piñata for my grandsons birthday party. I wanted to tie a loop in the rope at two difference positions so I had an up out of the way position and a down ready for fun position. Tried a bowline in the middle of the rope but I screwed it up because it didn't hold. Like I said my best bowline is one handed around my waist.

One comment about the chart in the OP though, it would be nice if they gave examples of when to use which knot.

Toxoph

Post by Toxoph » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:52 pm

In scouts, we have the 7 basic knots which will take care of the vast majority of your needs;

1) Square knot
2) Two half hitches
3) Taut line
4) Bowline
5) Clove hitch
6) Sheet bend
7) Timber hitch

I would also throw in knowing lashings and the different methods of doing them.

As a leader, I would be thrilled if my scouts just knew the first 4! If you know these knots, consider yourself in a small minority. I am still amazed how few people even know the simplest of knots like the square knot!

edited: I also want to throw in it is important to know what each knot is good at and the situations to use them. The wrong knot can make for a very bad day!
I prep, therefore I am

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Add to that a slip knot, trucker's hitch (which is really just putting a slip knot and 2 half hitches together in a certain way), and a sheepshank and you're covered.

And when you learn sheet bend take the 2 minutes to learn the double sheet bend. It comes in very useful when the first doesn't hold due to the slipperiness of the smaller rope (paracord, I'm looking at you).

Granny knot has another name: the thieve's knot. You'd use it for tying a bag closed and if you come to it and there's a square knot in it you can be pretty sure someone tampered with it, hence the name.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”