Renovating a Barn

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Renovating a Barn

Post by 88sport » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:16 am

In short, due to recent developments in my relationship status, I am now renovating the milk room of the old dairy barn at my BOL for a permanent living situation. There are two halves of the barn, one being the milking room and the other the milk processing room. The milking room has been converted to a shop and the other room is the milk processing room that we are working on. The milk processing room is 20' X 25' and has an attached bathroom that is approximately 6' x 10' with a toilet currently installed and working. Obviously, there has been some work done already, as my grandfather wanted to redo it so that he would have a place to stay when he irritated my grandmother too much. So, I am taking the project on and will try to aim it towards a self-sustainable angle as much as I can. Wood stove, batch system solar water heater, reclaimed wood for some of the materials, insulated windows, etc. Also, this room also has an awesome view as you will see, which is kind of a bonus. Anyway, on with the pics!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... bbb79c.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The view coming from the shop into the room. The kitchen will be where the cabinets are now and will extend to the wall that it touches, but we have had someone offer to build us a free set of cabinets, so we aren't arguing with it. I will have to pipe water to that location, but there is already a drain in place. I will have electric appliances because I do not want to screw around with piping gas to that building. As of right now, the wood stove is going to go between the pictured door and the window on the right side of it. I am having to debate between two wood stoves right now, one with a very utilitarian function and one that is slightly more aesthetically pleasing. The flooring for the room is going to be basically divided in two by the invisible line made by the door you see in the pic and the door I am taking the picture through. The right half will have carpet squares with a small area around the wood stove that will be done in either tile or left in bare concrete. The left half will feature a garage epoxy coating in I guess a earth tone color. Finding those size windows is proving to be interesting because they aren't a standard size. We also have to do some work on the door because it will not close correctly and we will probably end up rehinging it and all that.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... c57108.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the porch that is on the other side of the door in the above picture. There are some concrete blocks that are buried, but exposed at ground level and covered by weeds on the left side of the doorway. I was planning to use this as a firewood storage location and where my two lab/pit mix puppies will be housed.

Anyways, back to the room:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... b3c1bb.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the view of the right corner of the room in reference to the first picture. This is where the electrical box is and I have already removed the panel that surrounds it to reveal that there is significant termite damage in the studs behind the wall. I am going to be removing all of the panels to survey the complete damage and have it treated to kill them permanently. I am also going to be removing the circuit board and replacing it with a residential unit because the one in there currently is really only for barn use.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... 8f1af6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the rest of that wall the circuit box is on. All of the wiring is going to be redone by a combination of myself and our electrician because so many people ahve come in and added wires here and there that it is almost impossible to trace where they all come and go.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... 539b76.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the wall that was pictured on the right side of the previous picture. The plan here is to use one of the two cabinet spaces for a murphy bed (that's one of them fancy fold up into the wall beds :mrgreen: ). The other one will be used for cabinet space for clothes or whatever I decide I want in there. The door on the right side of the picture goes into the shop.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... 144ac8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the other part of that wall in the previous picture. As you can see, we store our ATVs in the shop of the barn as to prevent theft.The cabinets on the right will be replaced by the ones that were over the kitchen area and the washer and dryer will be placed underneath. We shall see more of the bathroom in the next pictures.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... 12e1fe.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... 0b0096.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the bathroom, we are planning on keeping the toilet and vanity sink/cabinet where it is at now and adding a shower stall to that back wall. I have to figure out how I am going to plumb in the solar system and pump water up into it the most efficient way. My concern about that is that the roof line that the bathroom is under faces north and the opposite side of the roof has a pecan orchard blocking the sun, so sunlight hours may be a slight issue. Figuring that out is just a matter of taking enough pictures of the roof during different times of the day and finding the data from NOAA and such on the geographic location and its sunlight hours. Another concern with that shower and the plumbing of that drain system with the toilet, shower,washer and kitchen sink on the other side is that the septic tank system that is in place was never really intended for full-time living. My grandfather said he dug a hole, put gravel in it and put a 55 gallon drum/tank in it and called it done. Fantastic. I am going to probably end up taking a shovel, a backhoe, and a disposable coverall suit to improve the system. I want to do it on the cheap and I could use some suggestions on what to do here because I contemplated using a 275 tote for the blackwater stuff and trying to make some sort of filter element for the greywater that would allow for the water to be reused in the lake or possibly for other purposes that would require it to be relatively clean. It's worth mentioning that all of the water for the buildings on the property is supplied by the spring-fed lake in front of the barn.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... 59631f.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the view of the current kitchen cabinet setup. There's a vanity sink in the bottom cabinets, which we will probably end up putting in the other barn and we will scrap the bottom cabinets. As you can see, there's already a drain setup down at the bottom for the sink, but we aren't sure where it goes at the moment. That is one of the things on the agenda for tomorrow when we rip those cabinets out.

Now for the view out of those double glass doors:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... d822f3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a porch that isn't in the picture, but it's just going to stay the way it is right now, so I didn't want to interrupt the beauty. That duck is Speckles, he adopted us, just FYI.
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

grennels

Re: Renovating a Barn

Post by grennels » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 am

Is that a Bald Eagle in front of the dock? :)
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:39 pm

grennels wrote:Is that a Bald Eagle in front of the dock? :)
That's a duck on the dock.

To the OP, hope this is a change for the better. This looks like a nice project. How far does it more you away from your employment?
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

dirtmover

Post by dirtmover » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I could only get one picture to load(slow internet) but it looks freaking awesome. A couple things come to mind....the patio door looks like its single pane glass so I would look to replace that as soon as you can. The reason why I say that is I know it doesn't usually get frigid in GA but if the unit does have A/C then you will be working the unit over time to try and keep you place cool. Personally I like the floor kinda has a marble look to it, plus my dad has done this to quite a few houses up north and I also saw them do it on one of those home improvement show. lol I hope your situation changes for the better and looking forward to seeing what you do to the place.

Ripcode

Post by Ripcode » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:49 pm

Tagged!

88sport

Post by 88sport » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:47 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:To the OP, hope this is a change for the better. This looks like a nice project. How far does it more you away from your employment?
Well, I don't have a job right now because I basically moved back from where she was going to school 4.5 hours away to home. I am rapidly trying to find a job in this area that is actually in the field of study I went to school for right now which should be better because I have connections and such here that I didn't have there. The bigger town/hometown is 15-20 minutes away from there and the little town is 10-15 minutes away, so I've got something kind of close that I can work with as far as jobs go. Hell, at this rate, I might become a goat/organic crop farmer and just call it a day.
dirtmover wrote:I could only get one picture to load(slow internet) but it looks freaking awesome. A couple things come to mind....the patio door looks like its single pane glass so I would look to replace that as soon as you can. The reason why I say that is I know it doesn't usually get frigid in GA but if the unit does have A/C then you will be working the unit over time to try and keep you place cool. Personally I like the floor kinda has a marble look to it, plus my dad has done this to quite a few houses up north and I also saw them do it on one of those home improvement show. lol I hope your situation changes for the better and looking forward to seeing what you do to the place.
Thank you! I know that the forum was not happy with me trying to have those pictures come straight into the post, so I may go back and see if I can resize those to where even the dialup people can see them.

We are going to be seeing about redoing/replacing all of the windows including that sliding glass door because of the lack of insulation and because that damn door is a pain to open because something is screwed up with the door on the tracks and hell I just don't want to deal with that old crappy door. I was also thinking that when we do put another door in I would buy some blackout curtains and have them made or whatever to where one side is a light color and the other side is a dark color so that I can have one side suck in heat during the winter and the other reflect it during the summer. I think that that would make a difference.
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

88sport

Post by 88sport » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 pm

UPDATE!!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... f83d8b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My grandfather and I (he wouldn't just watch, I tried) took down the old panels and all of the termite-eaten wood out of that wall. We had the exterminator come in to do an assessment and to treat the room and he said none of the other walls should have to come down. This is apparently because once work has started, the queen goes into the ground, however I think that the 6 degree weather we've had at the beginning of the week killed the queen. It's kind of interesting to see what had been done back there because apparently, the concrete wall goes up like 2-3 feet before it turns into studs. I think I may not rebuild a wall there and just use what is there, but we'll see.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... 8c74a9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... 09803d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We also took out the cabinets to move them or demolish them. We found that the bottom cabinet in the second picture was of no good so we are junking it. We are taking the cabinets that were above it and moving them to the other side where the space for the cabinets is in the first picture. The cabinets that were there previously are going to the big barn for use holding random crap that you can find in the barn.
only here...

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:06 am

Looks like you have a pretty great project on your hands!

Have you thought about just leaving all the floors as concrete and either staining them or giving them an acid wash? I've seen people around here ripping up wood floors to expose the concrete and in my opinion the look is pretty awesome. It also goes well with exposed ductwork, conduit, etc which might save you some time and effort finishing the place. The industrial look may not be for everyone but I think that's the direction that I'm going to take with my next place.

88sport

Post by 88sport » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:10 am

feedthedog wrote:Looks like you have a pretty great project on your hands!

Have you thought about just leaving all the floors as concrete and either staining them or giving them an acid wash? I've seen people around here ripping up wood floors to expose the concrete and in my opinion the look is pretty awesome. It also goes well with exposed ductwork, conduit, etc which might save you some time and effort finishing the place. The industrial look may not be for everyone but I think that's the direction that I'm going to take with my next place.
Yeah, actually that is the plan. I like the finished concrete look as well, so the half of the room that the kitchen, bathroom, and the door to the outside is going to be done with garage floor epoxy or one of those kits you can buy to stain and seal it. The other bigger section will be done in carpet squares, but I don't know how many because of the size of the space where the stove is going is still up in the air until I decide which one I want.

I am having to decide between a Buck Littlejohn and a Dutchwest CDW244. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
only here...

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”