Rocket Stove, simple and brilliant!

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Maverick299

Rocket Stove, simple and brilliant!

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Re: Rocket Stove, simple and brilliant!

Post by Manimal2878 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 am

Pretty clever in my opinion. Be careful though, because, at least in my experience, cinder blocks will crack under high heat.

I was trying to think of a way to do it without the specialized brick he used in the middle, probably possible.

JayceSlayn

Re: Rocket Stove, simple and brilliant!

Post by JayceSlayn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:08 pm

I think this alternative has been posted somewhere else on the forum before too, but here is another, similar version using only concrete bricks.

Obviously a bit different, but I did try this one out for kicks the other day. I put it together in a way that I could get a rear-facing secondary air inlet/ash collection port, made it a little higher, and used only 20 whole bricks (because I didn't feel like trying to break them apart at the time). It seems to work out pretty well, but eventually you would expect the bricks to break down or crack...being such a cheap option, and probably intended to only be a temporary installation though, it sounds like a good idea.

There are lots of interesting designs using just bricks or firebricks to build rocket stoves, browsing YouTube. Some of them are pretty ingenious too. The key elements to rocket stoves are well-insulated combustion chambers and long/insulated chimneys. That ensures good draw characteristics and keeps temperatures higher longer, ensuring more complete combustion.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”