Driveway chain or cable?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16301
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:21 am

I will mention that if you live anywhere the oil patch you can some times find damaged drill pipe (tubing) at salvage yards. The drill pipe will be damaged but typically they come in 40 ft lengths and you can cut off the damaged part and weld it together as you need. If you can find drill pipe and you can weld this a very strong gate and excellent fence posts.

User avatar
Signmaker
*
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 am

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Signmaker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Day to day solution: Simple, hi-viz chain, Possibly with sign. If your house cant be veiwed from the gate, something like "Woodlands Fire Lane Access Only" should make it seem pretty uninteresting. If the house is visible, simple "No Trespass" is fine. For extra bluff, mount a dummy security camera high up to a tree, in view but out of reach, with a cable strung in the direction of the house.

SHTF solution: 1"+ cable, looped and padlocked to sturdy trees on either side of the road, with concertina wire strung on it so the bottom of it just reaches the ground. Easy to remove the cable and C-wire with one end unlocked, nearly impossible with both ends secured, and very loud when attempted to circumvent directly. If you want to be nasty and low key, get a length of chain that will span the driveway, and weld 3" rebar spikes protruding from it, ala poor man's spike strip. Anyone coming through will alert you when all four tires blow, and their vehicle is stopped dead. Just drag it off the road when you want to pass safely.
Last edited by Signmaker on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Slugg
* * * * *
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Book of Eli
The Colony(TV Series)
I am Legend
28 series
Resident Evil series
Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead
Location: Butts County Georgia

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Slugg » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:05 am

Depending on how tempting your house looks, you could probably just make it not worth the trip by doing chain and pipes on it. That seems like it would be pretty loud, if you were listening for it. That and dogs to bark when they start working on it.
Image
The future is for those who prepare.

gundogs
* * * *
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:44 am

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by gundogs » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:03 am

I live about a mile down a private road. For now I want emergency vehicles to have access. I plan on "bugging in",so when the SHTF I will drop trees
across the road. There are large trees on both sides,so no vehicle can bypass--except dozers & tanks

Norwegian
* *
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Norwegian » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:32 pm

I saw a nice system in franc once: Two concrete gate posts, one had a chain attaced to it and the other had a motor inside that would tighten or loosen the chain by remote. Between the posts there was a slot in the road that the chain lowered in to.

User avatar
airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2838
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by airballrad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:20 am

Signmaker wrote:Day to day solution: Simple, hi-viz chain, Possibly with sign. If your house cant be veiwed from the gate, something like "Woodlands Fire Lane Access Only" should make it seem pretty uninteresting. If the house is visible, simple "No Trespass" is fine. For extra bluff, mount a dummy security camera high up to a tree, in view but out of reach, with a cable strung in the direction of the house.

SHTF solution: 1"+ cable, looped and padlocked to sturdy trees on either side of the road, with concertina wire strung on it so the bottom of it just reaches the ground. Easy to remove the cable and C-wire with one end unlocked, nearly impossible with both ends secured, and very loud when attempted to circumvent directly. If you want to be nasty and low key, get a length of chain that will span the driveway, and weld 3" rebar spikes protruding from it, ala poor man's spike strip. Conceal with leaves under the "day to day" simple chain. Anyone coming through will alert you when all four tires blow, and their vehicle is stopped dead. Just drag it off the road when you want to pass safely.
People will do what they need to do when they are desperate, but we don't talk about illegal acts on this forum.

Anomic1
* *
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Anomic1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:20 pm

airballrad wrote:
Signmaker wrote:If you want to be nasty and low key, get a length of chain that will span the driveway, and weld 3" rebar spikes protruding from it, ala poor man's spike strip. Conceal with leaves under the "day to day" simple chain. Anyone coming through will alert you when all four tires blow, and their vehicle is stopped dead. Just drag it off the road when you want to pass safely.
People will do what they need to do when they are desperate, but we don't talk about illegal acts on this forum.
Im confused how that would be illegal. Budget rent-a-car has the same thing at the enterance to thier property... I think a spike strip may be a good idea. Have it set so they can only hit it AFTER cutting my chain/cable and are coming up the driveway... Signmaker would rebar blow the tire or would it just hiss the air out like a nail does? Id like a loud explosion sound so it would wake me up at night ;)

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Anomic1 wrote:
airballrad wrote:
Signmaker wrote:If you want to be nasty and low key, get a length of chain that will span the driveway, and weld 3" rebar spikes protruding from it, ala poor man's spike strip. Conceal with leaves under the "day to day" simple chain. Anyone coming through will alert you when all four tires blow, and their vehicle is stopped dead. Just drag it off the road when you want to pass safely.
People will do what they need to do when they are desperate, but we don't talk about illegal acts on this forum.
Im confused how that would be illegal. Budget rent-a-car has the same thing at the enterance to thier property... I think a spike strip may be a good idea. Have it set so they can only hit it AFTER cutting my chain/cable and are coming up the driveway... Signmaker would rebar blow the tire or would it just hiss the air out like a nail does? Id like a loud explosion sound so it would wake me up at night ;)
Because the ones in parking lots are designed not to hurt anyone. They have signs and aren't buried. Hiding spikes= booby trap. Spikes with sign (and I'm sure there are other legal and zoning requirements) constitutes controlled entry.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2838
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by airballrad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Anomic1 wrote:Im confused how that would be illegal. Budget rent-a-car has the same thing at the enterance to thier property... I think a spike strip may be a good idea. Have it set so they can only hit it AFTER cutting my chain/cable and are coming up the driveway... Signmaker would rebar blow the tire or would it just hiss the air out like a nail does? Id like a loud explosion sound so it would wake me up at night ;)
Note the part I bolded:
Signmaker wrote:If you want to be nasty and low key, get a length of chain that will span the driveway, and weld 3" rebar spikes protruding from it, ala poor man's spike strip. Conceal with leaves under the "day to day" simple chain.
If you want a barbed wire fence, that is legal most places. If you rig a covered pit to drop someone into barbed wire, totally different animal.
Booby traps are illegal. They have no discretion and are designed to injure or kill without intelligence to consider if this is a burglar, a kid looking for their lost dog, or a utility worker checking your meter. Even if they're only designed to damage a vehicle, that's no guarantee they won't injure someone, and that is bad news for the trapper. Because they are illegal, forum rules don't allow discussion of their use as a viable prep option.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 7949
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by TacAir » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:09 pm

airballrad wrote:
Anomic1 wrote:Im confused how that would be illegal. Budget rent-a-car has the same thing at the enterance to thier property... I think a spike strip may be a good idea. Have it set so they can only hit it AFTER cutting my chain/cable and are coming up the driveway... Signmaker would rebar blow the tire or would it just hiss the air out like a nail does? Id like a loud explosion sound so it would wake me up at night ;)
Note the part I bolded:
Signmaker wrote:If you want to be nasty and low key, get a length of chain that will span the driveway, and weld 3" rebar spikes protruding from it, ala poor man's spike strip. Conceal with leaves under the "day to day" simple chain.
If you want a barbed wire fence, that is legal most places. If you rig a covered pit to drop someone into barbed wire, totally different animal.
Booby traps are illegal. They have no discretion and are designed to injure or kill without intelligence to consider if this is a burglar, a kid looking for their lost dog, or a utility worker checking your meter. Even if they're only designed to damage a vehicle, that's no guarantee they won't injure someone, and that is bad news for the trapper. Because they are illegal, forum rules don't allow discussion of their use as a viable prep option.
Image
If you post a warning about spikes....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Gixxer1237
* *
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:37 am

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Gixxer1237 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Hes just trying to slow people down. Not a barricade for tanks and submarine nets in the creek.

Throw a able across it. Something around 3/4 to 1 inch. If you want a little more build a simple single bar gate. It could pivot on the support post. Lock it with one of the tougher shouldered master locks.

User avatar
Signmaker
*
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 am

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Signmaker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:10 am

airballrad wrote:People will do what they need to do when they are desperate, but we don't talk about illegal acts on this forum.
Removed the concealment part of my post to conform.

Actually, a stationary one-way spike strip wouldnt be that hard to junkyard together. Bury some large I-beams on either side of the road with holes drilled in, bolt a hinged pipe across them, and weld rebar or bolt through spikes onto it. Attach a lever to one end that can be padlocked to the I-beam, leaving the spikes raised at a 30 degree angle facing the entrance. Blown tires for entry, but you could drive outbound over them without moving them, if you were in a hurry.

User avatar
maldon007
* * * * *
Posts: 4097
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...
Location: Pickle Bucket Brigade
Contact:

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by maldon007 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:25 am

TacAir wrote:
*cool ass severe tire damage sign*

I think I want that sign for my driveway even if I don't have the spikes... Just so COOL!
Image

User avatar
sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by sheddi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:12 pm

This thread made me think of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_H ... H15191.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!


Member
ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

User avatar
Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 18722
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Jeriah » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Why not build a gate like they use to keep cars out of parking lots after hours? Large diameter pipe like that oil drilling pipe Raptor mentioned. A slightly larger diameter piece can turn on a slightly smaller piece like a hinge. Fill the smaller piece with concrete to make it stronger and heavier. Etc.
Image

User avatar
Tater Raider
* * * * *
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Meatworld

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:23 am

Image

Cattle Guard aka: Texas Gate, Cattle Stop, Cattle Grid, Vehicle Pass, and so on. Need to hunker down, remove the bars as shown and post a warning sign by hanging it off the chain you hang over the pit.

The pit will need to be big enough to drop the front end of the biggest vehicle you want to stop into it and have the front bumper hit the opposite wall of the pit. Bonus points for putting a retaining wall flush with the backside with the ditch running through the pit so that the only way onto the property from the road is via the cattle guard (because otherwise it's really kinda pointless to go this route - just drive around the big-ass hole in the driveway).

Not cheap, not quick, not anything the OP is looking for other than once it's in place it's easy to deploy.

To secure the place, tie a recovery strap to the guard and stand a 2x4 on end with the strap going over it and the other end to your vehicle. Drive forward and drag it off to one side. Run a chain from one side to the other with warning sign. Done.

To reopen, use a front-end loader or backhoe to lift the gate and put back into place.

It's a hell of a lot easier to "close" the gate than it is to "reopen" it so this is a, "If all else fails" type of thing, but it would be the route I would want to take.

Costs include making the grid proper (you can design one and scratch build easily enough) and casting the concrete pit (this is trickier so I'd have a pro do it myself).

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Kommander » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:17 am

If you want to slow them down you could do that thing where you stagger concrete barriers leaving just enough room to get by and forcing the car to slow down and swerve through the barriers. Add wire and some other ideas that have been brought up here like in ground pipes to this and it will be tough to overcome quickly. Can you see where this fortification will be from the house?
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Anomic1
* *
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Anomic1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:51 am

Yes i can see it from the house. It is the only way to drive in already due to ponds/ravines. What i decided on was some old hoist cable from a friends granite wharehouse crain. I just want no questions asked-- if a vehicle shows up in my drive i know they are hostile and have cut the cable to get there. Im thinking about signage on the cable -- All vehicles sound horn and wait at cable; do not proceed until escorted. Or something like that

User avatar
ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing
Location: Darkest Norfolk

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by ForgeCorvus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:39 pm

You asked about welding gear.

Oxyacetylene, (AKA gas welding) requires two different pressurised gas bottles (one Oxygen and one Acetylene) plus a full set of dedicated hoses, regulators and flash-back arresters as well as the gas torch, filler rods and fluxes. Its not as easy as it looks to get a good weld. I don't know about the US but over here you can't buy the bottles, you can only rent them from the supplier (who is legally responsible to ensure they are tested for safety).... This means you will will have to keep paying upkeep.

MIG/MAG, uses an electric arc to melt a constantly fed filler wire in a gas 'bubble' (this acts as a flux to prevent the air from attacking the molten weld) again needs a gas bottle to supply the gas 'bubble'. Over here you can buy a light weight 'hobbist' kit (for car repairs etc) for less then a couple of hundred (some kits can use disposible gas bottles)

Arc ('stick') uses an electric arc to melt a short filler rod that is covered in flux (you can buy different types depending on what you're welding), a basic air cooled one can be had for about 50 quid....... Sometimes you can get hold of 'Site-welders', they're a stick welder with a built-in gennie
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Image

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Bob2169
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:28 am

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by Bob2169 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:06 am

Hi folks found this forum "awesome"doing internet searches for a product we sell. Let start by saying we moved out to the semi boonies "45 min drive to any thing resembling a Wally World" I am a blacksmith and build big fancy gates but that isn't going to fit with my self sufficient lifestyle.
i needed something that the wife and children could and would close and open.
So enter the driveway chain remote controlled easy to install and under a grand you can check it out at drivewaychain.com

User avatar
DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2767
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: Indiana's Southern Coast

Re: Driveway chain or cable?

Post by DannusMaximus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:14 am

gundogs wrote:I live about a mile down a private road. For now I want emergency vehicles to have access. I plan on "bugging in",so when the SHTF I will drop trees
across the road. There are large trees on both sides,so no vehicle can bypass--except dozers & tanks
On the bolded part, keep in mind that anything designed to keep bad guys out will also keep the good guys out. Most FD's will have the implements of destruction needed to defeat pretty much any type of chain or cable barrier, but it comes at a time cost. An additional five minutes spent waiting for a heavy rescue unit to show up so the hose heads can get out their saws / slice packs / cable cutters, etc. and force their way past a barrier...
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Post Reply

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”