Home sweet home.

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sins

Home sweet home.

Post by Sins » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I had been looking for a home since last September. Problem was in my area if you want land you pay a pretty penny and 4 bedroom homes on 5 acres or more are EXTREMELY hard to find.
Finally, decided on a construction loan.
Finding the land was a difficult process. I needed to be in a non-flood zone. I wanted mostly trees, but enough clear area to have a yard and garden.
After months of searching I found this piece of property and got approved for a loan.

The homes that were on it had been removed and the property was a wreck.
Pieces of the home that had been demolished were everywhere.
Apparently the previous owner abandoned it and didn't pay his bills.
It was foreclosed and the bank demolished the home because it was beyond repair. The asking price was 30k.
Because the clean-up job on the property was horrible, I got them down to 23k.

Now I had to find a home builder. After weeks of searching I realized site built was out of my budget, and went the modular route.
Meanwhile while picking out what modular, I had to pursue Chase bank to sign the contract on the property, to the point that I wound up talking to James Dimon the CEO of Chase bank.
I made such a huge fuss that the asset managers of the property took a month to sign a contract, that Chase fired the asset management company.
That might have been good except the NEW asset management company refused to sign the contract without me agreeing to paying closing costs.
Several thousand dollars later and we signed the contract.
In the meantime, my loan officer went on vacation.

So I wait......

And wait.......

While I wait, the home people tell me the foundation is going to cost 2 thousand more than expected.....

More unexpected money.

Then.... in the middle of my loan process, a collection shows up on my credit that DESTROYS MY SCORE...
Now I have to dispute it to have it deleted. If they pull my credit before closing again I'm screwed.

Do I wait.....

And wait....

Finally it comes off...

Underwriter comes back and tells me I am not approved for the loan unless I amend my tax returns to take the standard deduction for the previous two years...

I pay the IRS $1,800 and then I wait....

And wait....

Finally comes back approved and I have a closing date.

Problem is...the amount the underwriter approved me to come to the table with and the amount I need to come to closing is off by a piddly $18

Now I have to fax another bank statement to the underwriter...

And wait.....

Finally he comes back and approves it.

Thinks that's all???

Nope, Chase bank changed handlers of the property the 4pm the day before closing...

So I wait....

Finally, New handlers approve and I closed on my construction loan yesterday.

Now I just have to wait on the rain to stop so they can lay the foundation.

So I wait.....

Here is a zoomed out image of the 5 acres.

I think next weekend I am going to start working on the property, does anyone know what, if anything, can be planted mid summer for fall harvest?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Last edited by Sins on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eyegor

Re: My adventures in a home purchase

Post by eyegor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Congrats! looks like a nice piece of property. I found that everything that involves banks nowadays is totally screwed up. Glad it worked out in the end.

PS My wife and I own a piece of commercial property for her business, and it is a complete nightmare dealing with banks for anything, especially being self employed.....

BigDaddyTX

Re: My adventures in a home purchase

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:18 am

Awesome looking lot! Sorry the bank sucked, but they're terrible today. My Dad has a 750+ credit score and money in assets/income and he has to basically beg for a construction loan. Commerial though, but damn it's ridiculous. They want to see every last # and $ and ¢. They come out and look at the site. WTF?
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Sins

Re: My future home updated with video.

Post by Sins » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:06 pm

Here is a walking tour of the property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oKVqQh ... ata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone has tips on feeders for turkeys, I would appreciate it. The place is loaded with wild turkey.
I also need to build a chicken coup.

Sins

Re: Home sweet home.

Post by Sins » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 pm

I just found out I have two addresses because the property originally had two homes on it. The address that is listed on all my bills and and my mortgage (street home number 214) cannot be found on gps .... google maps cannot even locate it or come remotely close to it.
The second address (street home number 212) can be found on a map.

Both mailboxes (there are two side by side) receive mail.

How many people can say they have two addresses to give depending on how well they like the person and wether they want to be found or not.... SWEET!!!

I signed loan modification docs yesterday as the home is built and finished. Spent my first night in it last night. More pictures to come.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Can't wait for updates from you and Tater. You're property looks similar to something that I would be able to get around here in the NW (heavily wooded). So I am interested in what you will be doing with clearing the trees how you will be using the wood.

It might be worth while investing in some old equipment perhaps from an old farm/estate sale/pawn shop to turn rough wood into lumber. That you can use to make fences or as you mentioned a chicken coop/chicken yard.

Keep the updates coming and congrats!!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:14 am

So awesome!

Sins

Post by Sins » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Paracord for the win!!!!

The previous owner's were kind enough to leave me a roof on the property.
I stripped it of all the rafters to use on a shed I'm building, but the metal part of the roof remained.
I found a guy who will pick it up for free to scrap metal it out. Problem is my wife wanted it out of the front yard and he can't get here for a week.

I was able to drag this 500lb monstrosity across my land using only paracord. (And luckily did not tear up the land either)
Now it sits on the back of my property waiting to be picked up.

Sins

Post by Sins » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:36 pm

I started making a chicken coop out of old pallets and scrap woodImage

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Where's the like button? We need a like button. :D

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Looking forward to more updates!! Thanks for posting the progress.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Property looks great. Tagged for updates.

What growing zone are you in? If you are 5a or higher, you can start any brassica (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, brussel sprouts) indoors right now to go out at the end of August, just choose early-ripening varieties and remember that these can take a hard frost (and will get sweeter). You can also do any pea variety (but dried peas may not make it before the freeze), bush bean, carrot, lettuce, radish, beet (most, but not all), etc.

Google "Fall Garden Zone___" (Your zone) and you should get a more comprehensive list.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

jdev

Post by jdev » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Sins wrote:Paracord for the win!!!!

The previous owner's were kind enough to leave me a roof on the property.
I stripped it of all the rafters to use on a shed I'm building, but the metal part of the roof remained.
I found a guy who will pick it up for free to scrap metal it out. Problem is my wife wanted it out of the front yard and he can't get here for a week.

I was able to drag this 500lb monstrosity across my land using only paracord. (And luckily did not tear up the land either)
Now it sits on the back of my property waiting to be picked up.
Awesome use of 550 cord, lol.

jdev

Post by jdev » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Sins wrote:I started making a chicken coop out of old pallets and scrap woodImage
Looks like a good framework you got there!

jdev

Post by jdev » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Tater Raider wrote:Where's the like button? We need a like button. :D
Agreed!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:05 am

Seriously where the hell is the like button everything you've posted is a "like" hahahahaha............. I'm so loving you and Tater's posts! Makes me really want to get a house more then I already do! Thanks for the inspiration!!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Sins

Post by Sins » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Almost have the chicken coop done, and I got my fall garden ready for seeds which I should be planting in a couple weeks.

Sins

Post by Sins » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Chicken coop is about done. Just have to finish up the wire

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Sins wrote:Image

Chicken coop is about done. Just have to finish up the wire

Looking good, but if I might make a suggestion. Don't use that inch or inch and a half chicken wire. Go get yourself some half inch square chicken wire, and use that instead. That wide stuff will allow a raccoon to reach though grab a chicken and bite its head off. Chickens are stupid, very stupid, so a raccoon will come up to the cage and rattle it. The chickens being very curious come out and the coon grabs its head and gnaws its it'll head right off.

Also around the bottom of the cage make a mat of about 2-3 feet wide so if a coon tries to dig under the cage they hit that mat of wire.

Looking good though, looks like you're settling right in and getting things done.

Sins

Post by Sins » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Cool, thanks for the tip. I surely will use it, because there are plenty off racoons on my property

Sins

Post by Sins » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 pm

Since my last post on here I got a couple pigs. One was healthy, the other a runt. The healthy one I got to a decent size and took it to slaughter. In total I spent $50 on the pig, $150 on feed, and $125 to butcher.
$325 total got me 205 pounds of the tastiest sausage, bacon, ham etc..
Pictures to come later if I ever get near my computer.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Glad to see you back! Keep us posted, some of us don't have any land and must live vicariously through others that do! Haha and nothing better then hand raised animal products!

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”