How does your Garden Grow? 2013 Edition

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bennyG19

Re: How does your Garden Grow? 2013 Edition

Post by bennyG19 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Big harvest today. Tons more snap beans I need to get, but I'm lazy. Maybe in the cool of the AM...

Spaghetti squash, Cocozelle squash, okra, and snap beans.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
How do you know when to pick the spaghetti squash? We're growing it for the first time this year. I've got a couple that are huge but still green. Also, do I need to put something under them to keep them off the ground/moisture?

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Wait for them to turn yellow. They will turn very light and then get darker yellow. That's when you want to pull them. If you have a nice cool place to keep them, they can go 4 or 5 months before you eat them

shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

GentryMillMan

Post by GentryMillMan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 am

How does my garden grow? Without me apparently!!

So I had posted pictures of my garden plot being freshly plowed and asked what to do with the section that had housed a pig pen last year. I had finally decided I would be planting tomatoes in that location I had tomatoes in another section last year and loved having fresh tomatoes, but being a boat mechanic and the busy season keeping me away from the garden weeds eventually moved in. :x

I had gotten my neighbor to re-disc the garden but he was short on time and did it when I was not there (big surprise) so when he plowed it had had missed the pig pen section all together. :gonk:

At this same time most of my tomato plants died in the starters, peppers are doing ok but I was reduced to 3 or 4 tomato plants...

Fast foreword to yesterday I am out cutting the grass. It has been raining here for days and I am talking about a lot of rain, so as soon as the sun came out I knew I better get that grass cut before it ends up taller then the mower. As I am passing by the weed patch that once was a pig pen something catches my eye. :shock: Sorry for the blurry pic, was in too much shock to take another one....

Tomatoes?!?!? How the??? So last year when it was a pig pen and I had tomatoes in another section every time I found one that bugs had gotten into or was rotten, etc. I would toss them to the pig, he ate some of them but apparently not all of them....
Can you spot the tomato plants?
So I look around a bit more and sure enough there are all kinds of tomatoes growing in this section. I have now spent some time clearing away the weeds and introducing new supports for the tomatoes.

So now I have golf ball sized tomatoes, and a renewed faith in my garden. Is my property trying to tell me to be more self sufficient?
Half the time I could only spot them because of the yellow flowers on the tops...
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:41 pm

scurvy's progress:

decided to let that damn blackberry that wouldn't die give some back this year:
daily trimming of runners has kept it pretty contained and more focused on berries.

peas a plenty:

tomatoes are just getting started:

a tomato from last year decided it wasn't done yet, garden bonus:

first corn push:

first artichoke, kind of choked for sun by the rhubarb:

first set of cukes are showing:

I'm about to be over run with beans, neighbors don't mind at all:

and finally for now, after six years, my first crop of Oregon bananas:

so far so good.....
Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Yesterday I picked 8 pints of peppers:
4 Jalapeno
2 Sweet Banana
2 Cowhorn

I barely scratched the surface, lol
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Oregon bananas? :) do tell! How do they handle frost?

shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Oregon bananas? :) do tell! How do they handle frost?

not well, not well at all.... in the winter they'll freeze off and return in the spring as new starts if the root is established.

the last two years I've been tenting them in clear plastic through the cold months. they loose their leaves but the main spike does well if protected. the batch above is around 12' tall and still reaching. I do believe it's an ornamental variety and I'm not expecting banana splits out of the garden come september but, we'll see. It was just nice to see tropical fruit starts in the PNW.
Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

safariteam5

Post by safariteam5 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:40 pm

This has been the rainiest year I can remember here in the North Carolina Piedmont. Consequently our garden is going crazy (both the plants and the weeds) but without some sunny days we haven't had much produce ripen yet. We have gotten a bunch of cucumbers and jalapenos and a few zucchini but that is about it so far. We have lot of tomatoes on the plants but haven't had any ripe ones yet other than from the grape tomato plant I have on the deck.

We have about 40 feet of green beans growing like crazy so we hope to do well in that department.

The sweet potatoes look like they are doing well so far but you never know what you'll get. Last year we had beautiful plants but when we dug them up it turned out that some little burrowing critter like a mole or vole ate 3/4 of our sweet potatoes. We haven't heard of any sure fire methods for preventing them so we just planted a bunch more and figure we'll share. Below is Mrs. ST5 weeding the sweet taters. The white stuff behind her that looks like snow is actually old news papers that we put down to try to control weeds. It didn't really work so now I just mow and weedeat every other week or so.

And below is why we have had so much rain. Last year we suffered a long dry spell and it was a pain in the but hauling water from the house down to the garden in buckets. So earlier this spring I built this platform to hold two 275 gal containers. The plan was to plumb it so I can attach soaker hoses and let gravity do the work. I'll rig up a rain catchment system over it and I've been scanning Craigslist for a good used pump to pump water out of the creek. But wouldn't you know as soon as I finished the platform and got the tanks set up it has started raining and I don't think we have gone more than two days without a good rain in a couple months. Everybody is joking that we are going to start growing moss and getting webbed feet.

De Oppresso Liber

safariteam5

Post by safariteam5 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:50 pm

[/quote]Tomatoes?!?!? How the??? So last year when it was a pig pen and I had tomatoes in another section every time I found one that bugs had gotten into or was rotten, etc. I would toss them to the pig, he ate some of them but apparently not all of them....
[/quote]

We had the same thing happen last year with cucumbers. We would feed the old or blemished cucumbers to the pigs. The hog lot is on a bit of a slope and later on we found several beautiful cucumbers growing in the goat pen which is just downhill from the hogs. Though I am pretty sure the hogs ate the cukes and the seeds passed on through them and with the rest of that excellent fertilizer they must have done what nature intended.
De Oppresso Liber

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Today's spaghetti and acorn squash harvest. This is 16, and gets me to a grand total of 47, and we are not done... Those are carrots on top.

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:12 am

Finally I have tomatoes!! The plants are over 8' high and I finally saw 3 tiny tomatoes on the highest branches.

Also I planted one Italian Winter squash (Lunga di Napoli) in June. I planted 16 more about 3 weeks ago. The one I planted in June is over 20' long and crawling around the yard. I estimate it grows 6-8" every night and spawns another leaf. This thing is like nothing I've ever seen before. Still hasn't bloomed so it's going to be interesting to see how long it gets. Here's a link which describes the Lunga di Napoli: http://www.kcb-samen.ch/shop/product.ph ... sCsid=25cd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the most fascinating fact from the link "Weight: 10 - 80 kg" 80kg?! HOLY SH#T!!! Thats 176#!!!!!

I've also been harvesting my peppers and giving them to coworkers, friends, and canning most of them. So when I gave a bag of peppers to a coworker, she said she'll bring in some peaches for me. Their tree went nuts this year with all the rain we've had. I need to find a good peach canning recipe.. .maybe a jam or fruit puree.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:59 am

NamelessStain wrote: I need to find a good peach canning recipe.. .maybe a jam or fruit puree.
Peachs make great jam, the kids always go through tons of it.
We have just finished canning strawberries, raspberries and peaches for the year.
We use the same recipe for both.
2 Qts fruit and 2 Tbs Lemon juice
7 cups sugar, and one packet pectin.
You should be able to find it in nearly any recipe book.
But a pair of tongs that will lift the mason jars out of the water bath will make life easier.

Now starts the apples...
The two main trees boughs are held up by chairs, boards, etc trying to keep them off the ground this year...
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:17 pm

procyon wrote:
NamelessStain wrote: I need to find a good peach canning recipe.. .maybe a jam or fruit puree.
Peachs make great jam, the kids always go through tons of it.
We have just finished canning strawberries, raspberries and peaches for the year.
We use the same recipe for both.
2 Qts fruit and 2 Tbs Lemon juice
7 cups sugar, and one packet pectin.
You should be able to find it in nearly any recipe book.
But a pair of tongs that will lift the mason jars out of the water bath will make life easier.

Now starts the apples...
The two main trees boughs are held up by chairs, boards, etc trying to keep them off the ground this year...
How much does that recipe make? and how long is the water bath?

Keeys
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil #3

Post by Keeys » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 am

Pineapple update:

It's ready to pick...........

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:46 am

Harvesting a bunch of Pinto beans, Peas, Tomatoes (Cherry, Patio Prize, and Beefsteak so far) Zucchini, Carrot, Raspberries, Strawberries, Broccoli, and a few Chiles so far this year.

big project just finished, replaced the rotting/warping wooden boxes I had made for our grapes. My first brick work. I'm pretty stoked with how it turned out.

Now to get rid of the Grape Leaf Skeletonizer Moth larve eating the leaves...
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

drivepirate

Post by drivepirate » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:28 pm

We have 18 tomato plants and have been canning weekly but I think they are done. Got a few more yellow squash this month. Been eating green beans nightly, time to freeze some. Strawberries have been producing for the last 2 months solid and we are making jam. Our lemon cucumber as it turns out LOVES to climb, 8' before it was done with baseball sized fruit every foot or so. I harvested and pulled all the peppers so we can slice and freeze them for fajitas later. Onions are sitting pretty but I'm not sure when to pull them, when I get hungry I suppose. Parsnips are getting big. Broccoli was planted too early and went to seed. My wife's herb garden is on it's third year and is turning into a massive forest of culinary goodness :clap: What a great year.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:17 am

drivepirate wrote:Onions are sitting pretty but I'm not sure when to pull them, when I get hungry I suppose.
If you don't want to eat them yet, just leave them be, they winter over rather well and will just keep getting bigger as you leave them. At least, that has been my experience here in NM (Santa Fe, get down to -14 with decent amounts of Snow in winter.)
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri May 02, 2014 3:33 pm

So, for the first time in six years, I'm living somewhere that I can really have a garden. Unfortunately, Flagstaff has a really short growing season due to the elevation; we can't count on being frost free until after the end of May. Also my soil is made of rocks and acid. So we had to go with raised beds. The soil that goes in them is a big expense, but we were able to build the beds themselves more or less for free. Steph and I used very different approaches, both of which I found effective. Both are free depending on the materials you have available.

My approach started with looking into Hugelkultur, which is apparently Swedish for "festering shitpile." Or at least in the case of some friends of mine who basically just buried toxic construction debris in their backyard. Done right I guess it can do something good for soil moisture retention or something. I also got the impression that it relies on decomposing wood. I didn't have that (at least not the last time I got tested), but I did have a couple trees that needed pruning and one that needed felling. So I used my Granfors Bruks light Forest Axe to fell the little oak, some loppers and a saw to prune the crabapples, and built a bird's nest.

Basically I startedwby drawing a circle on the ground the diameter I could reach the center of. Then I laid the largest branches along the circumference. These were very big but smaller would have worked. Then I worked upwards, using branches from largest to smallest, laying them in a counterclockwise (wittershins) direction. I would sort of weave or twist them, not following a pattern, just intuitively. I capped it with some dirt and pine needle litter to weigh it down and compress it so the dirt didnt leak out. Filled with garden soil and some steer manure. Worked great.

Steph's method to follow.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri May 02, 2014 3:36 pm

I had gathered some wood pallets and suggested Steph make raised beds out of them. She started by pulling them apart with a prybar. Apparently that's the hard part. Then she nailed em together like wooden boxes, leaving the top and bottom open. The cutouts in the 2x4 supports inside the pallets left holes. She blocked em with shop towels which we can pierce to plant herbs in them.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Fri May 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Oh. I guess this is last years. Someone start a 2014 edition if there isn't already one and I'll put it there.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”