Quazi's self-sufficiency projects

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

quazi

Re: Quazi's self-sufficiency projects

Post by quazi » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:45 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:58 pm
Just a note, you may already be aware though: you can basically sub mashed potatoes for one part in three flour when making bread. So like my sourdough recipe is generically 1:2:3 starter:water:flour. You should be able to make it 1:2:1:2 starter:water:mashed potato:flour, counting the water in the mashed potatoes as part of the water.

Which reminds me, I'm in a no-frost zone and so should probably start getting prepped to plant some taters for next year.
Thanks, that's good to know. It would be a good way to stretch the wheat I have stored up with something that's easier to grow locally.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:00 pm

quazi wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:45 pm
boskone wrote:
Just a note, you may already be aware though: you can basically sub mashed potatoes for one part in three flour when making bread. So like my sourdough recipe is generically 1:2:3 starter:water:flour. You should be able to make it 1:2:1:2 starter:water:mashed potato:flour, counting the water in the mashed potatoes as part of the water.

Which reminds me, I'm in a no-frost zone and so should probably start getting prepped to plant some taters for next year.
Thanks, that's good to know. It would be a good way to stretch the wheat I have stored up with something that's easier to grow locally.
There's a Townsends video about it, he makes some bread with that sub.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:02 am

boskone wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:00 pm
quazi wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:45 pm
boskone wrote:

There's a Townsends video about it, he makes some bread with that sub.
Haha was just going to say there’s a Townsend video. Only posted a few days ago too.
Join us over at the new forum. Same people, same rules, new smell!

https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:16 pm

Townsends have a lot of good cooking videos. I guess I missed that one.

We pulled all the green tomatoes in a while back to ripen inside since it is getting frosty at night. My mom's boyfriend had a good idea to use old egg cartons to keep them separate. (This is maybe 1/5 of the tomatoes we've got spread all over.)

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:06 pm

Sorry for not updating the thread. I wanted to do a big end-of-season update, but I started working two on-call jobs right about that time and it was running me ragged. Thankfully I've transitioned to more regular employment, but not until everything was snowed under so I didn't get any pics.

We harvest A LOT of potatoes. We've been replacing a big part of the pigs grain with them. I can't eat too many for health reasons, but it still makes me pretty happy.

The brussels sprouts did well. For once the moose didn't eat all of them. Every year I tell myself I'm going to cover them with a low tunnel to try to protect them from the moose and extend their season, but I never get around to it. This year we lucked out.

A moose did eat all my cabbage. Thankfully my brother grew enough in his garden that it was no big deal. We've been keeping them down in the basement and they are delicious. I should learn to make kimchi, but I am lazy and don't think I will anytime soon.

We got dozens of pumpkins. They are all small, but delicious. We eat pumpkin soup all the time and it is now one of my favorite kinds of soup. We got a few blue hubbard squash, but I didn't care for their taste very much. We could have had a bunch of acorn squash, but for some reason I thought we planted all green acorns and it turns out we planted more white acorns than green. I was getting really frustrated that all these nice, big acorns weren't darkening up and maturing and by the time I realized they were actually supposed to be pale they had mostly been frosted and/or eaten by slugs.

We were eating tomatoes all the way up into December, which was nice. It wasn't a great year for peppers.

We got several ~4 week old chicks in trade. They were fine living in the coop with the other chickens, but then one day we found them huddled up outside. We threw them all back in. The next night they were back in the same place. It was late, I had to work and it looked pretty secure (amongst a bunch of sticker bushes with overhead cover and a fence to their backs) so I decided just to leave them. They were all gone without a trace the next morning. :gonk:

I started making a wattle fence as a way of making cheap fence that used up a bunch of junk brush we need to clear anyway. It seems pretty cool, but it is a lot of work. If we get enough help next summer we could probably set them to it, but if it's just us with full-time jobs it would probably be better just to buy fence.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:54 am

Butchered a little potbelly boar today. Hopefully we weren't too late to keep him from knocking up the sows, but I suspect we might have been.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:30 am

Summer is getting underway in earnest now.

This weekend we planted our main potato patch. Nine rows each about 220 feet long. It's the tilled patch behind the pig pen.

I've dug up a bunch of currants and honeyberries to move. I pruned them back because I've read that makes the transplanting process easier on them, and I'm trying to root the cuttings to get more bushes.
I think I've got over a hundred cuttings, but I haven't done anything like an accurate count. I have no idea how many will survive.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:08 am

Currants are supposed to be some of the easiest things to transplant/get started. My buddy gave me all of his currants and so far they have all made of. I will start some cuttings off them as well. He keeps getting crazy amounts of starts from his raspberries and runners from his strawberries. So I take what he pulls out.

Also, DAMN! That’s a lot of potatoes! Do you sell them? I can’t imagine eating that many that’s for the be a few thousand pounds at the end of the season.

Did you butcher the pig in time? Just going back reading the posts since I last saw them.
Join us over at the new forum. Same people, same rules, new smell!

https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:32 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:08 am
Currants are supposed to be some of the easiest things to transplant/get started. My buddy gave me all of his currants and so far they have all made of. I will start some cuttings off them as well. He keeps getting crazy amounts of starts from his raspberries and runners from his strawberries. So I take what he pulls out.

Also, DAMN! That’s a lot of potatoes! Do you sell them? I can’t imagine eating that many that’s for the be a few thousand pounds at the end of the season.

Did you butcher the pig in time? Just going back reading the posts since I last saw them.
Good to know about the currants. I've done some transplanting and grafting of trees (and of course lots of annual vegetables) but I haven't done much with bushes.

Last year we planted seven rows of potatoes almost as long (maybe ten feet shorter), and we didn't have all that many left over. We don't sell them but we do feed them to our pigs, plus we've got a big extended family.

We did get the boar butchered in time, which was lucky.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:42 pm

This thread always gives me envy, nice stuff you got going on quazi!
Man is a beast of prey

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:11 pm

the_alias wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:42 pm
This thread always gives me envy, nice stuff you got going on quazi!
Thanks! When things are going well like this weekend it seems great. Sometimes when everything is going wrong on top of my full-time normal job I wonder why I'm doing this to myself, but mostly it's a positive experience.

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:44 am

Quazi, before the lights get shut off here and we can't get back into the building, let me just say that this has been one of my favorite threads. It is inspirational and has been a major source of encouragement for me to see other people do many of the things that I want to be able to achieve. The family and I are progressing (slowly) toward a more self-sufficient lifestyle and I keep coming back to this page for more fuel. Good luck man. You are doing a great job.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:37 am

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:44 am
Quazi, before the lights get shut off here and we can't get back into the building, let me just say that this has been one of my favorite threads. It is inspirational and has been a major source of encouragement for me to see other people do many of the things that I want to be able to achieve. The family and I are progressing (slowly) toward a more self-sufficient lifestyle and I keep coming back to this page for more fuel. Good luck man. You are doing a great job.
Same here, quazi.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:24 pm

Thanks guys! ZS has been a really positive part of my life over the years. I'm glad I could contribute to it in some small way.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:15 pm

Stayed up late making rows in one of the garden plots. Took this picture at about 4:15 AM. I work swing shift, so it's nice that it doesn't ever get all that dark this time of year so I can work most anytime I want.
This is where we had the ducks the last two years. The plan is to keep rotating them to different garden plots to fertilize them.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:22 pm

Thank you for continuing to share this with us.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
https://ufozs.com
You'll find us here.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”