Vitamins and supplements for preppers

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Vitamins and supplements for preppers

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:49 pm

I was thinking as I was looking at the supplements I take that this might be a good topic for a thread.

I am NOT an expert in this area, I'm actually looking for input from those more knowledgeable than myself. I have recently been educated that vitamins have a much better uptake if you eat the food that generated the vitamin in the first place. And there are some substances which in general help with vitamin uptake.

So what brands do you all feel do the best job getting the right nutrients into Prepper bodies?

What do you all feel is the best way to get all the goodies into the body?

If the grid goes down long term, are there particularly good plants to either grow or forage to help with health?

The two areas I think most preppers will need help with is "general health" and "joint health." However I'm sure there are many other areas we might need boosts or assistance. Anyone want to share what areas they feel will be most important and maybe how they intend to address some of those needs?

Thanks for any and all input!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Vitamins and supplements for preppers

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:49 pm
I have recently been educated that vitamins have a much better uptake if you eat the food that generated the vitamin in the first place.
For better & worse: "...if it's not in the ground (soil), it won't be in the food.

(insert Porky Pig soundbite here)

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:31 pm

Disclosure: I am Mark "Merriwether" Vorderbruggen, Ph.D., the lead chemist/herbalist/formulator for Medicine Man Plant Co, dedicated to providing the ancient plants and mushrooms to help with modern lifestyle issues because humans really haven't changed much in the last 8,000 years. I'm also am the sole creator and maintainer of www.foragingtexas.com

Based on this let me offer some key points and then open the floor for specific questions.
1. There's a LOT of fakery in herbal supplements. Chinese factories pump out tens of thousands of bottles of "medicinal herbs" and will slap on any label a fly-by-night company wants on it.
2. ConsumerLab is an excellent resource for learning what companies are good and which are bad but you need to buy a subscription to their service to get the details. Note: Medicine Man Plant Co. hasn't been tested by them yet but I do have every component checked by 3rd party analysis labs for purity, heavy metals, pesticides & other agricultural chemicals, allergens, and gluten...and then I have the finished products re-tested because I have trust issues. :lol:
3. The FDA requires a maximum expiration to be two years past the blending of the components, regardless of how long the blend then sat, waiting to be packaged. How realistic this expiration date is is open too many interpretations.
4. Most vitamins and minerals are pretty easy to come by from edible wild plants and I include this nutrient information for all the (currently) 225 plants listed on www.foragingtexas.com and you can use the search box in the upper left corner to find plants with particular nutrients.
5. Bioavailability of the nutrients plays a big role in the benefits of supplements. Without proper formulating of the product, often the main result is production of expensive pee.
6. You are correct that "whole plant" products generally have better biosorption of the key compounds because of the effects of secondary compounds from the plants and mushrooms.
7. Vitamin C decomposes at approximately 10% per minute at temperatures above 180F. Most other vitamins are much less susceptible too high temperatures. Attacks by oxygen is a worse issue so keep things sealed and cold.
8. Minerals are pretty unaffected by temperature or oxygen but "pure" forms may still have biosorption issues.
9. Even though it works against me, let me say the the vitamin/supplement companies "NOW", "Jarrow", and "Host Defense" are considered to be some of the most trustworthy in the industry. I strive for Medicine Man Plant Co to some day have a similar reputation.

I'll follow this post with one on particularly good wild plant sources of vitamins and minerals that are readily available across most of North America...or you can buy my book Idiot's Guide Foraging to have the information available in a grid-down situation. :D

Also, check out seasons 1-4 of Merriwether's World! on my YouTube channel. Topics include medicinal landscaping plants, wild edible & medicinal plants & mushrooms, emergency preparedness, and interviews with assorted authors, scientists, and other unique people.

What's the most important types of plants/mushrooms? Historically, disease has always been the dark stalker of humans so wild sources of antimicrobial and antiviral compounds is top of my list. You can search "antibacterial" or "antiviral" on the Foraging Texas website for those plants. Remember, plants don't hold to political boundaries. Many of the plants on my website are found all across North America and so I included maps showing the states and provinces where each is found.

Okay, questions?
-Blast
p.s. Yes, I used to be the R&D manager for Crown, the chemical company that supplies Walmart with their white gas camping fuel, among other things.
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:06 am

Krill oil, vitamin D, chondroitin and glucosamine supplements in addition to a multi-vitamin. :words:
Tony D Tiger

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:51 pm

I have to take a small D supplement. I take a multi & a 1000 mg C twice a day. I think that's it.

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:28 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:51 pm
I have to take a small D supplement. I take a multi & a 1000 mg C twice a day. I think that's it.
I would recommend taking a complex multivitamin that contains both vitamins and many trace elements. Because vitamin C itself does not have any immunomodulatory properties. For immunity to be stronger, everything needs to be in balance. Deficiency of iodine, selenium, zinc, iron, calcium has a very strong effect on health.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Multivitamin/multimineral. Extra vitamin D and C. Extra calcium.

The price of multivitamin/multiminerals in packs of 90+ means it makes sense to have a spare pack or two on the shelf. Standard prepping food might be lacking in a lot of vitamins.

Blast

Post by Blast » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:02 pm

It's good to see people are taking this seriously!
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:49 pm

Blast wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:02 pm
It's good to see people are taking this seriously!
-Blast
I poopooed this stuff for a long time. I've repented. Also I subbed to your channel.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Blast

Post by Blast » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:19 pm

[/quote]

I poopooed this stuff for a long time. I've repented. Also I subbed to your channel.
[/quote]

Thanks!
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

CG

Post by CG » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:43 pm

If anybody's out my direction, Natural Grocers is closing out on a lot of stuff in preparation for moving in May.

They have the big bottles of multi-vitamins for either $5 or $10.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 pm

CG wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:43 pm
If anybody's out my direction, Natural Grocers is closing out on a lot of stuff in preparation for moving in May.
Are they online?

CG

Post by CG » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:06 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 pm
CG wrote:
Are they online?
This is only because our individual store is moving and trying to reduce their stock before the move. I don't think they'd be selling at those prices online (not sure they even have an online store!).
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:36 pm

CG wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:06 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 pm
CG wrote:
If anybody's out my direction, Natural Grocers is closing out on a lot of stuff in preparation for moving in May. They have the big bottles of multi-vitamins for either $5 or $10.
Are they online?
This is only because our individual store is moving and trying to reduce their stock before the move. I don't think they'd be selling at those prices online (not sure they even have an online store!).
sigh :(

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”