Repair Wins

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JayceSlayn

Re: Repair Wins

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Sun Yeti wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:05 pm
My high school robotics students snapped the pins off the connectors for some expensive, proprietary robot motors. I got my high school engineering students, whom I have trained to solder, to solder new pins on and fix them. Win!
Beware the man with a soldering gun who knows how to use it. :D

I was also curious lately: Do kids these days learn how to solder with RoHS solder? Even though I was eventually forced to use lead-free solder later in life, I stocked up on the good ol' 60:Sn/40:Pb ages ago. There's a reason the materials guys chose Sn/Pb so long ago - it just works better than most anything else we've come up with since. We've had a heck of a time finding less toxic alternatives for everything we dumped lead into over the years, it is kind of a wonder element. Don't get me wrong: I think it is all for the better that we are getting rid of it, but I do appreciate the engineering that initially settled on it in the first place.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:07 am

Everything is more expensive on a Cadillac, which is why I hadn't planned on ending up with an '03 CTS.

I upgraded my 3rd brake light to LED, and didn't have to spend $600 at the dealer for a new one ($300 at Autozone). The old brake light had a neon tube and transformer that leaked, got wet and rusted, which caused it to stop working.

I bought the PCV upgrade kit (hose assembly and oil filler tube) and installed it myself.

Found a broken wire for the backup lights and fixed that.

Had to make a new brake line when the old one rusted and gave out. GM discontinued them a few years ago for that model year.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:42 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:51 pm
I was also curious lately: Do kids these days learn how to solder with RoHS solder? Even though I was eventually forced to use lead-free solder later in life, I stocked up on the good ol' 60:Sn/40:Pb ages ago. There's a reason the materials guys chose Sn/Pb so long ago - it just works better than most anything else we've come up with since. We've had a heck of a time finding less toxic alternatives for everything we dumped lead into over the years, it is kind of a wonder element. Don't get me wrong: I think it is all for the better that we are getting rid of it, but I do appreciate the engineering that initially settled on it in the first place.
They use lead-free solder, because that's what I teach them on; it was my call. Velleman brand; it's the best lead-free I've found. Honestly, I don't think it's any worse to work with in terms of flowability or what have you, the main disadvantage is having to clean the iron tip constantly. But they'll never miss what they never had :)
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:36 pm

Awesome thread.
As a past TV and stereo repair tech I really appreciate the OP troubleshooting case history . That package that popped was likely a current driver for a solenoid or relay.

Although we live in an urban apartment I keep a well stocked supply of hand and power tools (stored inconspicuously but accessible) that's I've amassed over the past 35 years. I've been able to address any emergency that's come up. Broken bed frame, appliance repair, rebuild a PC, you name it.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Minor thing, but I saved myself a few hundred bucks clearing a clogged kitchen sink. Twice, kinda.

It'd back up after several minutes of water running (or a load of dishes), so it was a good bit down the pipe. I augered it out, then dumped a chemical cleaner to...well, clean things up, break up the remnants of the clog. Worked great for about a day.

Then it clogged again. A 4qt pot of water was enough to back up into the sinks this time. I think the chemicals dislodge a mat of...stuff, which wedged in an elbow Augered it again, and it's been working for a few days. I think the chemical cleaner mostly did what it was supposed to, but dislodged a "mat" of material which stuck in an elbow.

It's been a few years since I've had to do that, but I think I'm going to start running an enzymatic cleaner like once a month to try and keep the pipes cleaned out.

More work than I'd really prefer, and lord but that stuff stunk the house up, but saved probably at least $200 on a plumber.

Note: When I build a place, I'm going to put inspection ports into every run longer than like a foot. :p I have 1 for this entire house, at the other end of the drain pipes from the kitchen.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”