What new plants have you foraged lately?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

What new plants have you foraged lately?

Post by Sun Yeti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:56 am

I'm thinking we should have an ongoing thread along the lines of the 'what did you do today to prepare', for plant foraging. Guidelines:

1. Should be a new plant you hadn't foraged before
2. Name the plant
3. Include a photo
4. Add identification tips if you like, but remember, the reader should confirm any plants with a reputable foraging source or expert forager before eating any new plant. DO NOT eat a plant unless you are 100% certain what it is.
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What new plants have you foraged lately?

Post by Sun Yeti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:09 am

Here's a plant that's new to me: mugwort.

Apparently this time of year it's too bitter to eat, but I still made a very nice and tasty tea by steeping it fresh in hot water. I was reading through one of my foraging books the other day and then I went out for a walk and said 'this stuff's everywhere!'. It's fun when you learn a new plant and then notice it's been growing all around you all along.

Mugwort grows on stalks, has deeply divided leaves with lighter colored undersides, and a distinctive spicy smell if you scratch it (something like anise or cinnamon? really it's a smell all it's own).

My source for ID was Northeast Foraging, by Leda Meredith.
There's also a (in my opinion less helpful, but free) post on Eat the Weeds: http://www.eattheweeds.com/?s=mugwort
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:12 pm

I have an ornamental red Japanese maple in the front yard. One morning I came out and it looked like a bear had eaten a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and crapped under the tree. Turns out it was Hen of the Woods.

It had been raining all day today so I'm hoping for another one soon.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

gary83

Post by gary83 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:39 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:12 pm
I have an ornamental red Japanese maple in the front yard. One morning I came out and it looked like a bear had eaten a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and crapped under the tree. Turns out it was Hen of the Woods.

It had been raining all day today so I'm hoping for another one soon.
Awesome. They are great for making soups.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 am

I was in South Carolina visiting friends, and I foraged Sparkleberries (vaccinium arboreum) for the first time. Not only first time foraging, first time I had heard of them (doesn't sound like a real plant, does it?). They're in the blueberry family, and honestly the texture is not fantastic (thick, crunchy skin, mealy-textured fruit), but they are mild and sweet, and they are a berry that's ripe in November, therefore worth knowing.

It's a large shrub with distinctive bark:

berries are black and shiny, and unusual for a plant in the blueberry family in that they don't have a crown:

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:25 am

Great idea. But first, the site that I once used to upload pictures is no longer available apparently. Any suggestions?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”