Modular home on plot of land

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Modular home on plot of land

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:30 am

moab wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:53 pm

Thread necro I know. Just wanted to comment. I've looked at a lot of land in the same area as you Halfapint. And surrounding areas. And I have had very good luck with the engineers in Snohomish county. I've found several plots. And talked them over with the land engineers in the planning department. And they were more than helpful in talking me thru which parts of a property were buildable and which were not. I was surprised at how helpful they were. You probably wouldn't get that kind of treatment in King County. But perhaps in Skagit and the other smaller counties in WA. Same might go for other rural areas around the country. It was eye opening how much I learned from these guys. And helped me avoid various properties for various reasons.
This was unencorperated pierce country. But yes. Snohomish, skagit, Clark, hell even island country would be better.

My buddy works for the army corps of engineers if you need something I can run it buy him and see.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:42 pm

Building a home in a rural area seems easy. Unless you are doing the work yourself you have to find trades people who will be willing to drive a ~2 hour commute or find a local who can do the work.

Then there is the issue of getting power run to the site getting the roadway bulldozed and the site prepped. Never mind paving the driveway.

A kit home may seem easy but even those need to have people with previous success in assembly.

I am not saying it is a bad idea or cannot be done only that if you are considering this be sure sure to do some diligence on the tradespeople in your area before you commit to a path.

That and remember some kits that work well in the PNW may not translate to the Deep South USA and vice versa.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:48 pm

raptor wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:42 pm
Building a home in a rural area seems easy. Unless you are doing the work yourself you have to find trades people who will be willing to drive a ~2 hour commute or find a local who can do the work.

Then there is the issue of getting power run to the site getting the roadway bulldozed and the site prepped. Never mind paving the driveway.

A kit home may seem easy but even those need to have people with previous success in assembly.

I am not saying it is a bad idea or cannot be done only that if you are considering this be sure sure to do some diligence on the tradespeople in your area before you commit to a path.

That and remember some kits that work well in the PNW may not translate to the Deep South USA and vice versa.
Good advice. My friend had it all lined up before hand. So it was an easy transition having it built. I think the modular home company even did the building.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:35 pm

My son and I were spitballng an idea. Buy some land with a fair sized pond, put a floating dock on the pond and then moore a house boat to it. Run utility lines out the dock with sewer leading to septic system. Power to a meter. Water line to a well. Live the luxurious land locked pirate life you were meant to have :awesome:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:07 pm

raptor wrote:
Then there is the issue of getting power run to the site
Just a comment on this:

One of my coworkers found it was roughly the same cost to put in a sizeable solar system with batteries as to run grid electrical. He did the solar install himself, though.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:53 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:07 pm
raptor wrote:
Then there is the issue of getting power run to the site
Just a comment on this:

One of my coworkers found it was roughly the same cost to put in a sizeable solar system with batteries as to run grid electrical. He did the solar install himself, though.

This cost is very site specific in one case I am aware of the nearest power line was a mile away, in another the property was landlocked and the access easement did not permit running a power line along the easement road and the owner had to pay the nearby property owner for the right to run a power line.

Then there is the question what you plan on powering. If you need 90Kw to run hvac and other high load items the cost and related complexity of the system will be high.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:49 am

raptor wrote:

And at the moment, finding skilled tradesmen at any price in the PNW is a pain. I'm waiting till the next recession to rebuild my cottage. I'm also going with SIPs cause the savings in labor and time currently more than offset the material cost (that may differ elsewhere). Currently I am seeing quotes from tradesmen for thousands of dollars for small jobs I can do (and ended up doing) in a lazy weekend or even one evening. I would think going with a manufactured home would also help alleviate a lot of the challenges with finding tradesmen. I cannot imagine the frustration of trying to get a stick built home built right now.

Two years ago I was offered a job 3 times just while framing my shed. General contractors literally pulled over in their trucks as they drove by and offered me work on the spot. It was kind of a cool ego boost.

Of course, twelve years ago I would have loved a job framing, but nobody was hiring in my region and some contractors were taking jobs at a loss just to keep their core crews together and fed. So the timing of building a house can make a huge difference.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:03 am

It's good to see you again, Rone.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:55 am

Two years ago I was offered a job 3 times just while framing my shed. General contractors literally pulled over in their trucks as they drove by and offered me work on the spot. It was kind of a cool ego boost.

Of course, twelve years ago I would have loved a job framing, but nobody was hiring in my region and some contractors were taking jobs at a loss just to keep their core crews together and fed. So the timing of building a house can make a huge difference.
I am seeing exactly the same thing around here. Our county basically has zero unemployment. In 2008 we had contractor build a shed for us cheaper than I could build it myself or buy it new from a big box store. It was solidly built. He had tons of excess material on hand that he could not use as all building had shut down. It was a family business so he was trying to keep his extended family employed during the recession with small jobs like that.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:49 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:55 am
I am seeing exactly the same thing around here. Our county basically has zero unemployment.
Last spring I tried hiring an English major in a college town for a full time job with benefits and typically 12% match for retirement (employee owned company). I gave up. Three placement agencies and posting on the University's career page and I got one decent candidate in 6 weeks. She accepted another position before we could get an offer together.

I couldn't get an English major to work in a college town. I honestly think the greatest driver of automation is an inability to get people to show up.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:40 pm

But I hear AI will have all the jobs soon.... Could you not just build a program to perform your work?
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:40 pm
But I hear AI will have all the jobs soon...
Not mine! We're centuries off from AI being able to figure out what the hell my management wants.

(Which will be at least centuries before my management themselves figure out what they want.)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:14 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:59 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:40 pm
But I hear AI will have all the jobs soon...
Not mine! We're centuries off from AI being able to figure out what the hell my management wants.

(Which will be at least centuries before my management themselves figure out what they want.)
:rofl:

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”