Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Post by Halfapint » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:13 am

:clap: :clap:

I was so confused when I saw this! I was like WTF are you posting this for, then I realized the “large beans” I can tell my NSA guy is back at work. I read through my posts and have actually seen words change from what I spelled (correctly) to something different.

I just wish the NSA guy (or gal) would introduce themselves.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:26 am

Halfapint wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:13 am
:clap: :clap:

I was so confused when I saw this! I was like WTF are you posting this for, then I realized the “large beans” I can tell my NSA guy is back at work. I read through my posts and have actually seen words change from what I spelled (correctly) to something different.

I just wish the NSA guy (or gal) would introduce themselves.
Haha. I found a picture of some car sized beans ( for structural repair ) but couldn't post that pic. Amazingly the picture of the fresh large beans was too large to post :lol: . Had to content myself with the inferior canned variety ( with pork for the win) .
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Time for an update:

I caught the plague, so Sunday\Monday were a bust. I just felt like crap. I went to on Sunday just to get the truck because it was suppose to snow, and snow it did. We got about 6” of snow. Monday night I finally started feeling better.

Today the gf and I went and got a wood chipper, we looked for a used one and just didn’t see anything that seemed to fit what we needed or was way overkill (PTO driven or 12+ HP). So we bought a harbor freight one, takes 3” branches, and I can attest it takes 3 1/2” maple, it didn’t like it, but it chewed it up. We ran it for about 20 minutes and came out with 2 bags (comes with a 5’ long tube bag) of chips. We plan on covering the ivy with the chips to kill it off and to “beautify” areas.

Also we got the new tires put on the tractor and it does really damn well! Still didn’t have enough weight to get up the steepest part of the hill with a loaded trailer (300-400lbs) without spinning the tires and going no where. Oh well, something to work on.

JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:05 am

If the tractor needs more weight, those fat tires will hold a lot of ballast. An ag dealer near you could put in something like rim guard, or if you feel like doing it yourself, cold temp windshield washer fluid could also work. Depending on the tire size, should be able to get 60 or more pounds per tire, cheaper than wheel weights.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I’m probably going to bring it somewhere. I should have asked when I was getting them mounted, but totally spaced.

I’m also going to add some weights to the front as well. It’s got a little recover hitch on the front I’m going to weld a bar to hold some weights up there. The front wheels really don’t like to grip when turning.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Chains would also help, my snow removal tractor doesn't leave the shop without them. I only run rear chains (2wd tractor) but I have heard of people running all four tires, even on two wheel drive tractors to improve turning ability.

I can't tell from the pictures, but if you have independent breaks, that can help a lot too.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:51 pm

ZMace wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm
Chains would also help, my snow removal tractor doesn't leave the shop without them. I only run rear chains (2wd tractor) but I have heard of people running all four tires, even on two wheel drive tractors to improve turning ability.

I can't tell from the pictures, but if you have independent breaks, that can help a lot too.
It actually handles really well in the snow, even going up the hill (without trailer), it never started to break free. It’s only when trying to tow the trailer up the steepest point with about 300-400 lbs ok it. With less I’m sure it wouldn’t have an problem.

I’m not sure exactly how the brakes work on it. I know when I press the brake, it loosens the drive belt, I assume it does have actual brakes. I’m going to get it into the air and take the back end off it to inspect it a bit (and clean it up, this thing has 2” of caked on grass clippings on everything) and to fab some brackets for another project. I plan to check how it actually brakes and if I can upgrade them a bit.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:19 am

Snowpoclypse happened. We gor over 16” of snow on the property. Which doesn’t sound like a lot but when the hill coming up to the property is 19% grade and about 200’ of elevation gain. It makes for a bit of a pain in the ass.

We actually didn’t do shit, I went up to help clear snow so grandparents could get around, I tried to borrow a trailer so I could get the tractor out to help clear snow places but couldn’t get one. I did use the truck and pulled people out of ditches, ran errands for people who couldn’t get out. All in all it was a total waste.

I did do some reloading, I reloaded about 4000rds of 223 and ghetto sealed then with nail polish. Gotta say, nail polish is a great sealer. Had 10 ex’s sitting in water for 48hrs and when I pulled them apart not a single one had any moisture in it, powder was as dry as a bone and lit and burned as it should. So yay!

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”