Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

aikorob

Re: Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Post by aikorob » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:23 am

any used tractor/farmer junkyards around your AO?
down here people look for cylinders from combines or folding implements---(longer stroke) to make splitters from

from the pics, your current one looks like a welded cylinder
look for a tie rod cylinder --- easier to rebuild
https://yatesind.com/newcylinders/nfpat ... -cylinders
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:01 pm

aikorob wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:23 am
any used tractor/farmer junkyards around your AO?
down here people look for cylinders from combines or folding implements---(longer stroke) to make splitters from

from the pics, your current one looks like a welded cylinder
look for a tie rod cylinder --- easier to rebuild
https://yatesind.com/newcylinders/nfpat ... -cylinders
You are correct, it is welded, less than ideal for rebuilding. I didn't think about junk yards that's a great idea. I was really hoping this one I bought would fit. It's a couple inches over all smaller, and had a 20" stroke instead of the 18" from the current one.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Huzzah! Back at it this week. Last week I was coming down with something so didn't go up (it was also pouring, ironic after I bragged about how wonderful the weather has been). Well whatever I had hit me full force Wed/Thurs. I called out and took 2 days off of work which I really needed.

By Monday I was feeling better only put in a couple hour of work, but yesterday after running errands the GF and I hit it hard. we got up there around 1030/1100. We worked until sun went down (the added lights I put on are a HUGE benefit. The main lights on the tractor work great, but if you have your bucket up it blocks everything, The lights I put on are on the roll cage and are above our head. This floods everything around you with light. I'm so very pleased at how well they work.

The GF did most the tractor work yesterday, she ran probably 50 bucket loads of dirt down, and extended the flat area we are building out probably 8' or more. I think I'm going to take down one of the trees to the right and start filling that way to widen it. We cut the last part of the drive way (we actually haven't been working on the road for the last few months), it actually looks like a road and has a nice wide turning area. Next we need to find Is a box scraper and fill in the holes and knock down the bumps, put it at a slight grade for run off. Ran into a couple big rocks, I still am in awe of now many boulders we are finding. The pictures below don't really do it justice but it wouldn't fit in the bucket I had to play roller boulder to get these things where they sit now.

The GF and I were talking about looking for a small dump truck something like this
While they are cheap, importing them costs like 15k or something, if you even can. We realized that running the tractor back and forth is a real pain because it takes about 4 minutes just to dump it, turn around and come back uphill. We'll see, probably not unless we find some areas down below we want to develop and need to haul more dirt. in mean time I think we are going to convert the mini trailer thing we got a few weeks back into a dirt hauler, it'll hold about 3 buckets of dirt no problem i'll weld bars on it to life it a dump trailer.

enjoy the pics

ETA: I think I like working in the cold a hell of a lot more than the heat. It was around 35-40 Tuesday the dirt was moist and it just was a hell of a lot easier working when it clumps instead of turning to talc powder after a few hours.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:59 pm

I am hitting the "Double LIKE" button!

Thanks for sharing the latest!
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:20 am

I've been looking for suitable land in my area for several years but its very expensive down south, saw some yesterday I could just about afford but its too close to a well used road for my liking.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 am

grumpyviking wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:20 am
I've been looking for suitable land in my area for several years but its very expensive down south, saw some yesterday I could just about afford but its too close to a well used road for my liking.
Not sure where you’re looking. But land isnt cheap anywhere. I’m VERY lucky to inherit my land. I’m very lucky to be pretty much dead center of both entrance and exits with cliffs on inside and hillside on another.

But regardless of where it’s at, land in hand is better than nothing. Busy road or not. It’s better than nothing. I say get it, work it, and if it’s truly not something you want. Improving the land increases value. You can turn and sell it to get something better.

I posted in another thread that electricity, fire, heat are all dependent upon land. You can’t built a fire in a condo. You can in any sort of land.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:37 am

I don't want to be buying and selling land, if its not right for me its not right.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm

grumpyviking wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:37 am
I don't want to be buying and selling land, if its not right for me its not right.
That's absolutely understandable. However make sure you aren't setting the bar to high, and wont settle at all. This property is a long shot from anything I would consider ideal. I wanted some sort of creek with a small pond, I wanted flat, I wanted large south facing open plots. Instead I have no water and a west facing property on the west side of a hill that doesn't get full sun until around 11am in the summer.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:37 pm

I've been following this post since the beginning, but I don't comment much. I just wanted to reassure you that people do read what you put out here.

Great thread!

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Seconding what ZMace said. Congrats Halfapint and looking forward to more updates.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

U da Man, Halfy! :clownshoes:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks everyone! Glad you all enjoy it. While I do this for myself as kind of a "journal", I really hope people are able to learn form my mistakes, see what works for me and improve upon it.

I went back and read some of the replies people gave early on and even though I'd forgotten a lot of what people said, the ideas are still engrained in there of what I'd like to do and what people suggested. The gf and I will be living onsite probably no later than March. The rent at the townhouse we've been living in went up considerably, and while we can afford it why pay someone else? We'll be able to invest into the property. Only issue for me is the daily commute. Originally I said it would be 60minutes well it's probably closer to 90min going to work, and 30 coming back. That doesn't bother me but it will double my fuel expense, I generally only have to fill up once every 2 weeks.

Getting to live onsite is really exciting. Not just because no more rent (just taxes, mumbles something about death and taxes), but because we can actually do work everyday instead of 2-3 days week. While that doesn't sound super exciting, just being able to do the mundane small tasks on work days will free us up for big projects on the weekend. I've got the guy who built the retaining wall at my moms coming up Monday or Tuesday to check and see about how much materials we'll need, that's going to be one our big investment I'm guessing that the materials are going to cost 2k unless I can get the wood wholesale but they are already pretty cheap at $7 per beam for treated AND creosoted.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:22 am

Just purchased a Craftsmen YS4500 lawntractor. It’s got the Briggs and Stratton 21hp motor so it’s kind of a little beast. Runs a little rough but it starts pretty easily, runs strong once started, it was sitting for a while so I think a little work will make it better.

We almost had ourselves a Gator 6x4 with hydronic dump bed but I think the guy got a full priced offer.

Does anyone know of any upgrades? I’m taking the mower deck off. To give it a bit more clearance. Definitely getting aftermarket more aggressive tires. Hoping something with the tranny to give it more low end power.

JT42

Post by JT42 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 pm

A while back I purchased a Craftsman DGS6500 garden tractor. I'd like to own a real tractor some day, but for now this will do. I put a Johnny Bucket Jr. on it from http://www.johnnyproducts.com/. It's no hydraulic front end loader like a real tractor would have, but it sure beats a shovel and wheelbarrow. Although, with your real tractor and FEL you probably don't have much of a use for that.

To take full advantage of it I swapped out the rear turf tires with some R1 ag tires. I think they are Carlisle Super Lugs. I also filled them with washer fluid and added wheel weights. I bent the "frame" due to using the bucket (and I hesitate to call it that, and in fact the manufacturer doesn't even call it that, it's the "chassis subassembly" as it's just a piece of stamped 10-gauge (or 12 gauge?) steel sheet), but I bought a new chassis, welded up some reinforcements, and rebuilt the machine on it. The thing handles like a tank now, and I love it. I also welded up a 2" hitch receiver for a variety of attachments.

With the improved tires and added weight for traction the thing has been remarkably useful.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:42 pm

JT42 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 pm
A while back I purchased a Craftsman DGS6500 garden tractor. I'd like to own a real tractor some day, but for now this will do. I put a Johnny Bucket Jr. on it from http://www.johnnyproducts.com/. It's no hydraulic front end loader like a real tractor would have, but it sure beats a shovel and wheelbarrow. Although, with your real tractor and FEL you probably don't have much of a use for that.

To take full advantage of it I swapped out the rear turf tires with some R1 ag tires. I think they are Carlisle Super Lugs. I also filled them with washer fluid and added wheel weights. I bent the "frame" due to using the bucket (and I hesitate to call it that, and in fact the manufacturer doesn't even call it that, it's the "chassis subassembly" as it's just a piece of stamped 10-gauge (or 12 gauge?) steel sheet), but I bought a new chassis, welded up some reinforcements, and rebuilt the machine on it. The thing handles like a tank now, and I love it. I also welded up a 2" hitch receiver for a variety of attachments.

With the improved tires and added weight for traction the thing has been remarkably useful.
Funny you mention that Johnny bucket. I saw
That last night and was going to mention it in the above post but didn’t think anyone would have one. But I actually think I’m going to get one. This is MUCH smaller than the regular tractor, it can get places the other tractor can’t (making trails maybe?). I was also going to put like 100lbs if weight in the front because the trailer we have with some dirt/wood in it probably will end up pulling the back down and making me do a wheelies. I’m going to horror fright tomorrow and looking st the 1 1/4” (I think that’s what the smallest one is?) ball hitch. The log splitter is the small size so might as well make that my standard for small equipment. I’ll also weld the receiver hitch onto the trailer and just call it good

So you bent the frame using the bucket? That kind of worries me. This one has the reinforced bumper which is strong enough to lift the entire tractor. But if it’s goinf to tweet the frame I’m a bit worried.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:31 am

So actual update!

Sunday holiday/Christmas party day. Waste of the day as I don’t know anyone from that side of the family.

Monday was suppose to help the gfs best friend on her property then go shooting. We got canceled on. Ended up getting the small tractor (we shall call her putt-putt).

Tuesday a local guy who helps my mom out around her yard was hard up for work in the winter so mom asked if I would bring him to the property and get some of the standing dead we have, she’s low in dry wood (LOTS of unseasoned). So we got up on site around 0900 and promptly got her truck stuck in the mud. It rained 3” over night and into the day. So the hill going down was absolutely garbage. I’m glad I hit the brakes hard on the hill and realized I was sliding 3’ when I did it. Had to bring the tractor up to pull the F350 out of the muck.

We then ran tractor after tractor load up until we got to the point that even the tractor was having issues. We created an absolute mud pit. 12 tractor loads up and down will do that I guess the grade is about 18-20% for about 75 feet. Its short, steep, and just dirt/mud. So we only got about half what I wanted to get of the standing dead. But we stood the rest up against trees to help shed the water off and keep them from getting water logged. Hopefully we’ll have a dry ish day or two coming up to get the rest.

Also the gf and I decided after that we really need more gravel onsite. So Monday we are getting 14yds of 5/8 dirty gravel delivered. That’ll be the stiff that we use on the road we built, but more importantly the driveway. We’ve pretty well destroyed the roadway with the logs we drug, and the 50 plus loads we brought down to the cliff last week. Last thing we want is to have the main driveway a muddy mucky mess that can’t take cars. So yet again, priorities change.

The mini tractor (putt-putt) is a beast. The gf and I were really worried after we bought it last night. It started smoking badly when I was trst driving it. But I knew the smell of burnt rubber, well the only rubber I saw was the belts on the mower deck. And sure enough, the belts had been exposed to the elements for 4 years and putt-putt hadn’t been run since then. So today, after figuring out how to start it properly (with a jump due to us draining the battery yesterday) she roared to life. Ran super strong and had no problems climbing the slightly less graded hill as the muddy mess. In fact it went up it faster than the tractor. The only issue is that the mower deck will not disengage. It’s always on, that’s part of the reason I think it’s so hard to start. The starter is spending the torque spinning 3-4 blades and the engine. But I’m getting rid of the mower deck. Actually hoping to cut the metal sheeting off and use it for projects and taking the hardened steel of the mower blades and making knives.

All in all for only haven’t a day at the property, things went amazingly well.

Here’s pictures of putt-putt and the mucky mess. The mess doesn’t truly show how bad it was.

JT42

Post by JT42 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:42 pm
So you bent the frame using the bucket? That kind of worries me. This one has the reinforced bumper which is strong enough to lift the entire tractor. But if it’s goinf to tweet the frame I’m a bit worried.
Yeah, although admittedly I was over-working it. I was moving a rock wall so I was carrying lots of boulders / rocks of various sizes, sometimes over rough terrain where things were bouncing around a bit. I don't know how much weight I was carrying, but I know it was well over what Johnny recommends.

The bucket has another use: if you start to spin the tires you can apply some down force with the bucket shifting some weight to the rear tires for additional traction. That's come in handy a few times that I've been in some wet conditions.

I call mine the "bobkitten" since it wants to be a Bobcat when it grows up.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:32 pm

JT42 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Yeah, although admittedly I was over-working it. I was moving a rock wall so I was carrying lots of boulders / rocks of various sizes, sometimes over rough terrain where things were bouncing around a bit. I don't know how much weight I was carrying, but I know it was well over what Johnny recommends.

The bucket has another use: if you start to spin the tires you can apply some down force with the bucket shifting some weight to the rear tires for additional traction. That's come in handy a few times that I've been in some wet conditions.

I call mine the "bobkitten" since it wants to be a Bobcat when it grows up.
BUHAHAHAHAHA Bobkitten that's hilarious. This will mostly be used for moving dirt, we do have lots of boulders though. As I've said a few times we have an absurd amount of rocks on the property, so that good to know. I saw that the recommended weight is like 150lbs which is a bit of a joke. but this would be nice to have as some of the areas we need to go are a lot narrower than the full size tractor. I shows the website to the gf and she really likes the idea of having a little mini bucket. Does the Johnny bucket have lift and roll functions? so can you lift the bucket and roll it down so it dumps it out? I suppose I could watch a video :awesome:

Yeah the last load of wood we got form the property yesterday I had to play with both the bucket and the backhoe to get up the hill. It was so muddy that even when stopped I was sliding. so dropped the bucket down to stop, reach behind and extend the backhoe and use the roll function on the backhoe bucket on it to push me up about 2 feet, drop bucket, rinse and repeat. You learn quickly little tricks to get you out of things. when doing the maintenance I dropped the bucket down, lifted the front end, then used the backhoe to lift up the backend put blocks under the tires and could sit and change everything instead of laying down

JT42

Post by JT42 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:32 pm
Does the Johnny bucket have lift and roll functions? so can you lift the bucket and roll it down so it dumps it out?
Yes, it does. It uses two 12 volt linear actuators -- one for lift & down force, and the other to dump / roll the bucket. There is an option to change the dump / roll actuator to one that has double the speed of the normal one. There are times where that might be handy, but I went with the regular speed one. It works well and doesn't seem too slow for me most of the time. The fact that you can control the roll of the bucket makes it easy to dump dirt in a controlled / metered fashion.

They offer a "bucket doubler" which basically extends the sides and back of the bucket -- I highly recommend it. It doesn't add to the weight carrying capacity, but for bulky items (dirt, snow) it's been handy. I also got the tooth bar and snow shoe, both of which have been useful. Swapping them is easy with your basic wrench and socket set.

I also bought the caddy arms which have been enormously useful for carrying things like shovels, branches, long logs, etc. They pop in and out without tools.

As I recall, the weight capacity varies but it's more based on the model of tractor. I seem to recall some on the web site showing ratings up to 300 pounds while others were less. The bucket, the mount, and the accessories are solidly built so it becomes more a limitation of what the tractor can do.

The only problems I had (other than the bent frame) was that one of the clips used to attach one of the linear actuators to a shaft popped off somewhere in my field causing me to bend the bucket mount slightly when I went to move it. I caught it early enough and there was no real damage, but I replaced the missing clip with a cotter pin that won't come out. I also had a clip that holds one of the caddy arms into its socket pop free. I learned to insert the pin (I think it's actually a PTO shaft pin) from the top / rear instead of the bottom / front, so that if it comes unclipped it will at least stay in place.

The whole setup was kind of pricey, but you only have that pain once, and since getting it I've found lots of uses for it. I carry my chain saw, bar oil, etc, in the bucket while pulling a trailer to carry the stuff I cut up. I used it to move dirt, gravel, rocks from my rock wall, bricks, snow, tree limbs, and probably more stuff I've forgotten. Heck, I even hung large step ladder on the caddy arms a couple of times to move it across the field. It's been a real back-saver. I had four cubic yards of topsoil delivered once. I had it spread in about two hours. I hurt just thinking how long it would have taken with a shovel and wheelbarrow.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:49 pm

JT42 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:02 pm
The whole setup was kind of pricey, but you only have that pain once, and since getting it I've found lots of uses for it. I carry my chain saw, bar oil, etc, in the bucket while pulling a trailer to carry the stuff I cut up. I used it to move dirt, gravel, rocks from my rock wall, bricks, snow, tree limbs, and probably more stuff I've forgotten. Heck, I even hung large step ladder on the caddy arms a couple of times to move it across the field. It's been a real back-saver. I had four cubic yards of topsoil delivered once. I had it spread in about two hours. I hurt just thinking how long it would have taken with a shovel and wheelbarrow.
Cool I shows the gf your posts and shes interested but a little concerned about the bent frame. But we'll see not like this is going to be our main workhorse anything major we need to lift/move we'll use the big tractor. This will mostly for doing what you said, moving manure and stuff to the garden area (to small of an area to get the big tractor into). We agreed to look more into next year after we get our retaining wall built, and a few other projects and things paid for.

I'm actually looking at getting this to convert out little trailer to a dump trailer. I'd have the plug under the plastics of the little tractor to protect it.

Thanks for all you're input!

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”