It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:56 am 

If I might suggest, you may want to look at some of Frank Loyd Wright's designs.
I'm not a fan of his narrow hallways, but he did some interesting things with hexagonal and triangular based designs.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:51 pm 

ineffableone wrote:
So here is the current Sketchup of my house design

Sketchup has really been helping to get a clear idea of scale and how to arrange things. It has saved me plenty of times on figuring out better ways to do this design. As you can see I have further modded the design, changing things a bit. I am sure I will still change plenty more before the final design but figured I would share what I have so far.

I could just be tired(up for almost 30 hours now), but I don't see a real bedroom in the design. I also only see one bathroom area, and if the room directly in front of it might be a bedroom, any visitors who need to use the facilities will have to traipse thru it to do their "bidness".

Perhaps a half-bath closer to your living room would be more convenient for folks.

Will you be putting your washer & dryer setup in one of your mudrooms?

As for heat it looks like your fireplace is in your living room area. We had it like that in our old house and the furthest rooms away were always the coldest. Perhaps a different idea would be to put the woodstove in the center of the kitchen so the heat would travel to each room equally. An other benefit would be the ease of heating food or baking bread in the kitchen, if for some reason your gas/electric range is down.

A extra storage room that could be converted into a bedroom for guests or family when they visit would come in handy too. Few people like sleeping on the couch when there is something like a Murphy bed available.

Cheers.

-urban

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:50 pm 

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:
I could just be tired(up for almost 30 hours now), but I don't see a real bedroom in the design. I also only see one bathroom area, and if the room directly in front of it might be a bedroom, any visitors who need to use the facilities will have to traipse thru it to do their "bidness".

Perhaps a half-bath closer to your living room would be more convenient for folks.

Will you be putting your washer & dryer setup in one of your mudrooms?

As for heat it looks like your fireplace is in your living room area. We had it like that in our old house and the furthest rooms away were always the coldest. Perhaps a different idea would be to put the woodstove in the center of the kitchen so the heat would travel to each room equally. An other benefit would be the ease of heating food or baking bread in the kitchen, if for some reason your gas/electric range is down.

A extra storage room that could be converted into a bedroom for guests or family when they visit would come in handy too. Few people like sleeping on the couch when there is something like a Murphy bed available.

Cheers.

-urban

The bedroom is the opposite side of the bathroom with the queen sized green bed. Which also has a RMH (rocket mass heater) for heating. Plus, the home being earth sheltered will need a lot less heating than a traditional home.

If you notice I started out the plan with 2 extra bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms. However size and space available altered this quite a bit. Rather than stuffing bathooms into the spoke areas between the hex sections and loosing the majority of the spoke space to bathrooms, I opted to remove the extra bedrooms in on hex and turn that into one large master bath. I would rather have one amazing large bathroom than a couple empty rooms for potential guests.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:33 pm 

Have you looked into monolithic domes?http://www.monolithic.org/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:40 am 

Yes I have looked into the Monolythic domes, they are rather expensive both in concrete costs and rebar costs. Plus you need to be able to get concrete trucks up to the sight, which is not so do able at the moment.

If I were to do concrete I would likely opt for aircrete. Which mixes soap foam in with concrete to make a super light and insulative concrete. By light I mean blocks literally can float on water light. Also due to the air pockets in it, aircrete is a lot more resistant to impact damage. It is less likely to fracture and break. Only big draw back is you can only do it in max 3' lifts, otherwise the wet weight of it will compromise the air bubbles in the foam before it dries.

I am trying to source as much building material as I can off the property it self. Not only to lower costs, but I just like the idea of having a home built mostly of on site materials. So the Wofati style earth shelter homes are perfect for me. As they are all about sourcing materials locally.

Here are a couple wofati tour videos to help give some understanding of them

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:28 pm 

That's a fantastic looking piece of property! Congratulations and good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:28 pm 

delarey wrote:
That's a fantastic looking piece of property! Congratulations and good luck!

Thanks, I really like it too. I am looking forward to getting the infrastructure stuff finished so I can get into the actual fun stuff of gardening and raising livestock. Well at least to me that is the fun part. Building the house will have some fun in it, but really the fun of the house is less the building and more the living it it afterwards.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter