It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:30 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Figured I'd cross post this from the 18 boards to see if any ZSers were planning on attending or had attended, mainly looking at you CA sounds like a blast.

http://wastelandweekend.com
FAQ wrote:
1. Do I have to wear a post-apocalyptic costume?

Yes. The event aims to create a 360° post-apocalyptic environment! This will be the cheapest costuming you will ever put together. Rummage your closet, thrift stores and surplus stores! If you need costume help, this website is quickly becoming the premiere resource for post-apocalyptic costuming tips. Check out our Costume Tips posts or Bartertown page.

2. Do I have to have a themed vehicle or themed campsite to attend?

No. Themed campsites and themed vehicles are encouraged, but not required. Themed campsites and vehicles will be judged for prizes and can get you placed closer to the action. You don’t even have to camp if you don’t want to, although camping is included in your ticket price. You can just hang out to check out the atmosphere, entertainment and vendors. You will need to buy a ticket to get in, if even just for a few hours. “One-day passes” will not be available.

3. Is this a LARP or cosplay event?

No. This is a three day desert encampment and festival in a Mad Max world. We are requiring costumes because we don’t want there to be a distinction between participants and gawkers (like there are at many other events). Uncostumed attendees would take away from the environment we are creating, and thus the ability for all participants to enjoy the event.

As for LARP (Live Action Role Playing), no, this is not intended to be a LARP event. But I guess if you want to do that sort of thing while you’re out in the wasteland, we’re not going to stop you. But we reserve the right to make fun of you. Up until you wipe out all our hit points with a magic missile.

4. I saw that there are DJs. Is this a rave? Because I hate rave music.

Have no fear. Our DJs will be playing an eclectic mix of everything from industrial, to metal and vintage hard rock, to snippets of movie soundtracks. Anything that fits in with the post-apocalyptic, Mad Max vibe. This ain’t no rave. And during the day, expect to hear Wasteland Radio – a diverse playlist of songs interspersed with our very own radio ads.

5. Is the event accessible by a regular street vehicle?

Legally, we have to say that street vehicles are not recommended in this off-road vehicle area, but our import cars with 6″ clearances make it fine every time. Actually, the dirt roads are regularly maintained by the city and are some of the best we’ve ever driven on.

6. There is mention of campers, RVs, trailers and such. May we just bring a tent?

Absolutely. There will be an area for tents & encampments. Get creative, and decorate your tent(s) in post-apocalyptic décor! A contest will reward prizes for the best camping set-up & décor!

7. Will bathrooms be available?

Yes! We aren’t going THAT post-apocalyptic! Portable restrooms and sinks will be available for the entire event and we’ll even be increasing the amount of restrooms per attendee for 2011.

8. Will there be food vendors?

Yes, but they will probably not be open 24 hours a day. If you bring your own drinks, remember: try to avoid glass containers! It’s no fun to step or drive over broken glass!

9. Is this a “kid-friendly” event?

No, unfortunately, this most certainly is NOT a kid-friendly event. There will be large amounts of spikes, chains, large fast-moving vehicles and alcohol involved — probably not the best environment for children. You must be 18 years old or older to attend this event, NO EXCEPTIONS.

10. Can I bring my pets?

Dogs on leashes are cool, but leave cats, birds, monkeys and other pets under 2 feet long at home. Remember: This is the open DESERT. Also, the Desert Tortoise is protected, so PLEASE do not harm or touch any if you see them. You will get slapped with a HUGE FINE!

11. I understand that firearms are not allowed, but can we bring prop & replica weapons?

Sure! Bring your Mad Max NON-FIRING/REPLICA weaponry! NO LIVE AMMO ALLOWED! NO LOADED CROSSBOWS! NO EXCEPTIONS! Not the best idea to have a few hundred Mad Max fans drinking in the desert with real firearms, riiiiiight? Right.

12. What will the weather be like for the event weekend?

The average weather for the area in September is: HIGH 87° and LOW 57°. Make sure to bring warm clothing, as the temperature really drops at night in the desert! This event is set to start well BEFORE the rainy season, but you never know, so check the weather forecasts before you go. Either way, Wasteland Weekend is a rain or shine event.

13. Are campfires/bonfires allowed?

Yes. You may want to bring your own wood, and please be responsible with your fire pit! Possession of or burning of wood containing nails, screws or metal hardware is prohibited! That means pallets! BBQs are allowed, too. A firewood vendor may drop by occasionally.

14. Will there be a power grid for all attendees to use?

No. There are currently no plans for a community power grid. Power will be reserved for official event use such as entertainment. If you need to charge your cell phone, please bring a car adapter, or find a friend with a generator or RV.

15. Are there any off-road vehicle requirements?

Yes! PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW the below:

If you plan to off-road on your ATV or dirt bike and you want to do so outside of the general area of the event, you will need to purchase an inexpensive annual OHV permit from California City. On weekdays, they are available from the police department. On weekends, you can purchase one at Borax Bill Park. California City is the third largest city in California, in terms of area, and boasts hundreds of miles of dirt roads that criss-cross the desert.

General California OHV rules:

All vehicles must have a muffler or spark arrester and have either a street-legal license or be registered as an off-highway vehicle.
· Vehicles operated at night must have head and tail lights.

· Helmets are required on all ATVs! Passengers are not permitted on ATVs.

OHVs owned by California residents must be registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and must properly display a valid “Green Sticker” or “Red Sticker” registration decal on the vehicle. (Red Sticker riding rules and schedule by area are available on the California State Parks Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division website at www.ohv.parks. ca.gov/ or by calling 916-324-4442. )
If you are not a resident of California and your OHV is not registered in your home state, you are required to have a “Nonresident” OHV permit, issued by the California Department of Parks and Recreation, to legally operate your vehicle in the state of California The Nonresident decal is to be displayed in the same location on the OHV as that specified for California Green sticker registration decals.

These Nonresident permits ($30 for one year, for each OHV) may be purchased in a variety of ways, including;

(1) from the Wells Fargo Country Store (72129 Baker Blvd.), in Baker, California, just off Interstate-15, between Barstow, California, and the California-Nevada state line;

(2) for ..Nevada.. residents living in the Las Vegas area, Nonresident permits may be purchased at the “Rip Cove” motorcycle store in Henderson, Nevada

(3) Nonresident permits may be purchased at Dumont Dunes from an authorized vendor on major holiday weekends (Thanksgiving, New Year’s, and President’s Day); and

(4) a Nonresident permit may be purchased by writing to California State Parks, Non-Resident OHV/OSV Permits, P.O. Box 942896, Sacramento, CA 94296-0001. Questions or comments may be directed to the OHMVR Division by calling (916) 324-4442.

PLEASE NOTE:

Draining of holding tanks, littering and trash dumping is prohibited. You must take ALL your trash out with you — no garbage collection in this area. Please “pack it in – pack it out!” THAT MEANS EVERY TINY THING!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:20 pm 

i actually went to the first one they had year before last and it was pretty cool. They had a couple people from Road Warrior come out on Saturday and do a signing and a Q&A. It was a blast till the BLM people came through and made the people with lights and sirens turn them off.

was totally planning on going last year but things came up and wasn't able to and was wanting to again this year but i missed the deadline for the cheap tickets.. maybe next year though

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:51 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

About how many people normally show up?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:02 am 

the first year there was a couple hundred..maybe 3 or 4 im not really sure..but i know last year they had a HUGE turn out. My main problem was that it was held at the end of November the first year and it gets really cold and windy at night on a dry lake bed, and my only other complaint was that they had techo music blasting till like 6am and everytime i woke up having to pee but not wanting to go outside and use the bathroom i couldnt get back to sleep cause of the thumpthumpthump..i know they changed some stuff up last year and this year because some of the people who did it the first year aren't involved anymore. it would be cool to maybe think about a lot of us ZSers from the southwest hitting it up next year and having a huge camp. I know thats what we were trying to plan the first year but couldnt get people locally interested enough in going.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:47 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I only intend on heading out if I can get a couple folks with me, but planning for next year would be pretty awesome as well if we could get a turn out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:30 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm in the same boat as Sckitzo. If we can find a couple more guys to hold down a campsite I'd probably be game for this time around.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:48 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I'm going with a (dis)organized group from San Diego and LA. Its still up in the air what exactly is going to happen but we have slushy machines for post-apocalyptic cocktails.

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:11 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Were hoping to make it, looks like it might only be anywhere from 2-6 of us right now though, I'll try and get some sort of ZS flag to at least stick up that way if you find us you can say hi, or look for the idiot in the Romanish armor :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:43 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I could probably secure you space if you don't mind debauchery...

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:33 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Dawgboy wrote:
I could probably secure you space if you don't mind debauchery...

Mind, good sir you offend me! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 am 

I will go, someday...

0122358 wrote:
so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:22 pm 

Did anyone make it out there to this event last month?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Sadly none of the AZ crew that I know of it made, we are going to start planning for next years around Jan or Feb I think though, plan this out a bit better ya know?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:10 am 

that's awesome..keep me in the loop and i'll try to get some of the vegas people to make it to next years as well and we all can camp together

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:06 am 

Sckitzo wrote:
I only intend on heading out if I can get a couple folks with me, but planning for next year would be pretty awesome as well if we could get a turn out.

When is it this year?
I think that I'd like to go actually.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:45 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Should be weekend on 25th IIRC.

anungunrama wrote:
that's awesome..keep me in the loop and i'll try to get some of the vegas people to make it to next years as well and we all can camp together

Awesome, I'll try and remember to shoot ya a link to the thread I make when it comes up and we can plot and scheme on there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:01 am 

End of Days

These guys a apart of Wasteland Weekend and are looking to host similar events in AZ and i know some of you guys are from that area so i thought id pass it along.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:11 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Cool, thanks man, weird timing WW just opened up their own forums hah.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:19 am 

yeah that's actually where i found it haha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

The forums are so empty, 32 people on them, insanity :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:30 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Looks like another AZ based Tribe
http://wastelandweekend.com/tribes/turbulence
http://www.facebook.com/groups/155189951234295/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:06 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Just a bump to see if there is any interest.

I'll be camping with some folks from school from the sounds of it, but plan on flying the ZS flag while I'm out there as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:35 am 

I'm still planning on going with at least a person or two I know if i can get the time off of work (kinda in the middle of changing jobs right now)

I saw a tribe from Vegas just pop up on there so I thought id check them out and see what they're about.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:04 pm 

HOLY SHIT, this is Awesome. Count me in!! and I can think folks that will be down to join!

• Untested gear is unproven gear, unproven gear fails when you need it most.