Minneapolis Mn area

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

kbilly84

Re: Minneapolis Mn area

Post by kbilly84 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:43 am

11th at 11? Count me in. Anyone else?

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm

We should move to a less busy location. The few meetings we had after the panera one was at a few different davannis locations. It was nice because getting there when they opened, we were the only ones. So that way we don't get do deal with the looks from all the hipster college kids.

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Hey folks,

I am noticing an awesome lack of interest in the tenative meeting.

Is it the location for most of you guys, or the date time?

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:00 am

I'm in for the 11th at 11. And generally as long as they have some form of coffee (or I can bring my own), I'm not picky on location.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:03 am

For me , it is location . Hard for me to get to the burbs.
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 am

We can move it some place closer to the Mpls. I'm coming from right off 35w myself these days. I just recalled we had a contingent from Stillwater. I can also give rides no problemo.

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:31 am

For me it is location as well. Mostly just because I hate the mall and how ridiculously busy it already is in Panera by 11am. Also the drive from Farmington is a bit of a hike.

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:01 pm

So something in the Southern Burbs is preferable?
We can push the date out if it will get more people to attend.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:14 am

For me, most anything inside the 494/694 loop is GTG. Just so long as I don't get too close to that evil wooden boat down in Eden Prairie. :mrgreen:

At this point in the week, moving it back might be a good choice, especially since we don't seem to have a strong interest. Since I was already planning on it, I can still be in for this weekend, if we can hammer something out today.

ETA: I'm not very familiar with the south end of the Cities, so I can't offer suggestions on locations (aside from the much despised MOA).

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 pm

I won't have time to make a meeting this weekend. What kind of places are people open to? If you want to keep it to Panera, there a a bunch of locations in South Minneapolis, one that I know of in Edina, and from there they tend to get pretty close to my neck of the woods (Eagan, Apple Valley, and Burnsville). The nice thing about the locations near me, is they are not nearly as busy as most of the metro area locations.

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:47 am

I got the feeling noone but me and Kbilly were down to meet this weekend.

I think the location doesnt matter as much as finding a time everyone can meet. I know our first meeting we had folks come up from way the middle of nowhere Wisconsin.

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:58 pm

doubleohseven wrote:I got the feeling noone but me and Kbilly were down to meet this weekend.

I think the location doesnt matter as much as finding a time everyone can meet. I know our first meeting we had folks come up from way the middle of nowhere Wisconsin.
And we had 4 meetings since then and they never came back....

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:08 pm

When/how/where were those 4 meetings announced/planned? I knew of one meeting, about 20 minutes beforehand...

Anyone know of half-decent range in the area (besides Bill's)? Maybe a good way to gain initial interest is to just "hang out", go shooting or some such. Could be worth a shot to start out as more of a social thing. Just my .02...

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Do you remember at the first meeting we agreed to start a Facebook group? Well we did and that is where the meetings were announced.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:35 am

Ah. I don't do Facebook. That's how I missed it. I guess I figured that since this was a ZS thing, they'd be figured out via ZS...

On a quasi-related note (Twin Cities area)... I picked up an HT radio FINALLY. Just a cheapo Baofeng off of Amazon. Anyone got some repeaters/frequencies/etc I should pay particular attention to? I'm right around 35E/694 if that helps. 2m and 70cm capable.

I printed out a list of repeaters a while back, but in my scanning attempts, I've not heard much. Then again, It's entirely possible I'm doing it wrong...

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Also not on Facebook. Part of the problem.

Most of the repeater traffic is going to be early evening. Just scan you'll pick up traffic.

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:34 pm

We already ran into problems with certain members so we felt it best not to publicly announce every meeting. We had a good core group going and now there is just two of us left. Two members had to leave for personal reasons but will eventually be back and two more moved out of state...

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:59 am

Well, if "OpSec" is a concern, perhaps we could discuss new meetings via email. I think I still have that list somewhere. That way, us uncool kids that don't have Facebook can still get in on stuff.

So, if it's Saj and one other, plus doubleohseven and myself, that makes four. That seems to me to be a solid start. May even be better to start smaller anyway.

piston777

Post by piston777 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:51 pm

I am interested if any meetings get set up. I am in the south metro but able to travel as needed.

ubergeek

Post by ubergeek » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:38 am

Hello All,

This is a partial re-post from another thread, but felt it would advance this discussion. We had a meeting on 25 October at my office in Roseville, MN. We had 13 people attend, 3 of whom where under 18, but I will need to work out the logistics on that one. (Perhaps associate members, or some such thing)

We are planning our charity event at a local food shelf in November, and we have a chair of that committee already assigned and busy with the details. Here is the announcement for the next meeting:

We will meet again on 15 November. We have a 2 hour Intro to 1st Aid/Wound Care scheduled with a certified trainer. Remember, this is a 2 hour class, so be ready. We will start at 6:00 (1800) and the meeting should go until around 9:00 (2100).

1935 County Road B2 West
Lower Level Conference Room
Roseville, MN 55113

I will bring hot-dogs and fixens for this one.

This will be our second meeting. First one was to set the schedule and assign the Training Chair, Secretary, Charity Chair and Heraldry Chair. We have verbal commitments from 20+ people for the first charity event, so I feel it would be worth your time to at least check out our fledgling group.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Well I am now a official Zombie Squad Member as of today :D

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it out on November 15th as I will be working that night. I just got re-certified last month (October 2012) with the EMSRB for the third time as a First Responder in the State of Minnesota so learning First Aid and CPR would be a little redundant at this point anyway.

I believe that I already mentioned in a previous post that I do charity work with the 501st Legion which I have been a member since early 2009.
We are a World Wide Star Wars Costuming Group.

Hopefully I will be able to make it to a meeting in the future.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

cmxterra
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by cmxterra » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Anyone else going to this?

http://www.survivalpreppersexpo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This Saturday. Just found out about it.
I'm going and bringing the M109 with me :)
concordia discors

TraumaQueen
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TraumaQueen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:00 pm

IS there a Minneapolis chapter or not?

Is anyone out there still interested?
. . . . . . .
It's a Kawasaki WTF650R.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm still around...

I live in Pig's Eye though (St. Paul) and try to avoid Minneapolis like the Zombie Plague.

I wouldn't mind trying to get a Minnesota Chapter going however it seems that we have not had enough interest in the past. I am no stranger to doing volunteer work, survivalism, firearms, medical training, and last but not least, Zombie and Sci-fi entertainment.

I am a laid back guy and get along well with people of all ages. I have been down with getting a chapter going for awhile now.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Return to “Meeting room”