It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:54 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

That rifle was cool and so was the bag! A bit overkill with S&B but there is no such thing as too good optics. Wish I had S&B for my benchrest rifle, but they are so expensive! On my 10/22 I normally use ghost ring sights on mine, but also have a cheap'ish scope and a very cheap dot sight :D The trigger weight is pretty high on these rifles, I did the trigger job myself, following a video I found online. It was not hard to do, but my 10/22 was my first gun so I was a bit sceptical, but I am very happy with the way it turned out. One way to improve this trigger is to take the entire trigger mecanism apart and polish all gliding surfaces. Then you polish up the cap on the trigger return spring and also cut of a coil on it. Not sure how much i cut myself, but I believe it was 1,5 coils. This will give you a much better trigger and as long as you just polish you can't ruin anything. -Except the trigger return spring, but that is a cheap item anyway! But be warned: to light trigger weight is not safe so cut a little at a time. I did this and also modified the hammer and sear so that I no longer have trigger creep and its also very smooth since all the parts are polished :D

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:54 am 

Vil promotere et nytt norsk prepper forum
http://norsksurvivalforum.com/

Kom inn og bli en del av det norges eneste preppe forumet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:53 pm 

Ville bare streife innom og si hei. Jeg er en kar på 37, har alltid holdt på med en eller annen form for håndverk (mest metall, men også tekstil, bein, horn, skinn, tre etc.). Jobber nå som metallinstruktør på en skole i Oslo. Anser det som klokt å være forberedt på mange eventualiteter, brann, strømbrudd, sprengkulde etc. Kona er kjøkkenhagefrik, så kjelleren er fylt opp med egendyrka greier.

Mener at man ikke trenger å være en gun toting redneck med alu-foliehatt for å preppe (nåja, litt gun-toting får man vel være)

Mvh.
Draugjeger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:37 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Velkommen til oss Draugjeger.

They prefer us to write in English on this forum, it makes it easier to moderate.
ZS is a haven of reason in the chaos that is prepper/survivalist forums out there(The ban on all political and religious discussion really helps...), and I recommend that you spend most of your time here reading post and not asking questions that has been debated to death(we kinda hate that too...).
I recommend dropping by the introductions section, and say hello. There you can also find the "Welcome Wagon" thread, with links to the rules etc etc.

While there's been some discussion about a Norwegian/Scandinavian meetup, we haven't really gotten down to it yet.
As I see that there more members from Østlandet joining up, I'm thinking that we could look into having a meet "down there" some time?

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:27 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hey guys, I know this might be a little off-topic for the thread, but figured this might be a good place to ask...

I'm thinking of moving to Scandinavia (probably Norway) sometime this year (2013). I'm 22, work online, and live in France with EU citizenship, so there should be no immigration issues. Primarily I'm motivated by a few perceptions I have of Norway, which might be wrong (so correct me please):

1. Right to roam. No such right exists in France. Much more untamed forests to do bushcrafting in. Here we can't even legally start open fires...

2. No nuclear reactors. France is peppered with them. All of Europe really is, except Scandinavia.

3. I like the cold. I've spent several winters in cold eastern Europe.

4. Unpolluted or less polluted rivers and lakes. Last year I was hiking in France, and was crossing over a bridge. When I looked down at the river, it was bright blue with chemicals... The farmers here use and then dump an enormous amount of chemicals into the water. I think in the less densely populated areas of Norway this shouldn't be a problem, and one can simply boil the water. Here, distillation is required to get rid of the chemicals...

So, I guess if anyone living there now has any advice, or can tell me something I might not know about Norway, that would be very helpful. Since I work online, I can live in the countryside in a small home, as long as I have some kind of internet connection. Very useful for avoiding big cities :)

Thanks for any help guys!

"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Selling some stuff here | Preparedness Carry System | Ultralight list of tips

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

derf26 wrote:
I'm thinking of moving to Scandinavia (probably Norway) sometime this year (2013). I'm 22, work online, and live in France with EU citizenship, so there should be no immigration issues. Primarily I'm motivated by a few perceptions I have of Norway, which might be wrong (so correct me please):

As far as I see your right in your assessment on all points. The right to roam (and camp) is regulated a bit on private land (regarding how long you can camp at one place, and how close to private homes), and we have regulations for when it's allowed to light fires (a no-no in the dry season), but else your free to do whatever you like as long as you use common sense.
Water is clean (mostly), both from the tap and the stream you come along on your way in the wilderness. Highspeed internet can be found almost everywhere, so that should not be a problem.

Our prices are higher than the rest of the EU though, but that's compensated by higher average wages. Dunno how that'll affect you, if you are going to make your money in another economy. High taxes, but that also go towards healthcare and pension (and you keep the pensions earned in Norway even if you move, so the day you become a pensioner you'll start getting checks from us. Some caveats of course).

RIP hk33k

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:14 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hi Derf26, and welcome to Norway! Looks like you have done some research and your perceptions are correct. MAK has already answered you and did a great job about it, but this thread is almost dead so I will give my view too, and also add a bit.

*Right to roam: You can hike anywhere you like as long as you do not cause any damage to crops and so on. You can actually hike on fields too, but only in the winter when they are frozen and between october 14 and april 30. If you need to cross fields in the summer you just walk along the edges and it will be ok. To get into the wilderness you are also permitted to walk on any private road, this means that you can pass between a farmers house and his farm buildings. Motorized transportation is forbidden outside roads and also on a few private roads.

*Fire: Illegal in some places during the dry season; april 15 to september 15. This applies to forests and places with lots of vegetation that might catch fire. If you are on the mountains or by the sea for instance, you can light a fire in the middle of the summer. But use common sence, if you make a fire on the ground here:
These plants of which i do not know the english name will do this:
Always be very careful with fire when the area is dry! As with most bushcrafting its best to think things over a bit before doing it.

*Use of tent without permission: you can camp no closer than 150 meters from houses and you have to move your camp after two days. The law doesn't say anything about how far you should move, but use common sence.
You can't camp on fields without permission. In the wilderness you can camp anywhere for as long as you like! But make sure not to leave any thrash and such, it is terrible to find old camps littered with glass, plastic and so on.
Littering is also illegal.

*Fishing: You need to pay fees, one national license which gives access to all government owned waters and also the ocean. This is very cheap, but very few people here even know they are supposed to do this.
Many small lakes are privately owned, some of these costs an additional fee. But these waters are generally close to roads, lakes in the wilderness seldom need any license. Lakes with a fee should also have signs
regarding where to pay and such.

*Plants and other food: Except a few endangered ones, you can collect this for your own use.

*Water: I have never ever boiled water for drinking in the wilderness, I haven't seen or heard anyone else do this either as there is really no need for it. This do not apply in towns but very close to them.

*Internet is not a problem, you can get it almost anywhere but what speeds are available depends on the location.

You say that you can live anywhere with internet, and that gives you a lot of possibilities as there are big differences in climate, wildlife and cost of living depending on where you go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:48 pm 

hi all

Im from Denmark, and it seems that we have an equially abysmal prepp culture. Most of my friends likes to talk about zombies, but still im the only one with any kind of stores.... luckily i liva alone in a big 2 room appartment, so i do not have to argue with anyone about my kitchen being filled woth cans and an extra freeser ( its acutually so full i have to keep some of my china in an other room)....

but eventhough we are not as preppy in scandinavian as we should be i think that the fact that we are not as highly populated as UK is a very good start...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thank you Makarov and Krieger!

Frankly, compared to where I've lived up until now, that sounds great. I guess I should also do some research on firearms, but it can't be as bad as it was in the UK...

If I decide to move, I'll need to save up some cash, and then there's the moving itself. I don't have a car, but I have a bug out bike set up with panniers and two racks, so I can carry 80 litres in the panniers plus I can mount my bug out bag on the rack, so I might make myself a "vacation" tour and cycle all the way to Norway from France during the summer. That would be pretty epic :D I could also do some exploring and decide where I want to live first-hand.

Well, I gotta think about this and do some research on just how much money I'd have to earn with the higher prices, and where I'd want to live exactly. Thank you for your help, and I'm glad there are some preppers there, even if not many.

Last question: how much will it be a problem to live in Norway without speaking Norwegian? I speak English, French, and Russian, and I'm quite willing to learn Norwegian, but for the first few months, do enough people there speak English? Wikipedia tells me that "The majority of the population are fluent in English, especially those born after World War II." but that seems pretty incredible :o

Thanks guys! Maybe some day I'll meet you :)

"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

derf26 wrote:
Last question: how much will it be a problem to live in Norway without speaking Norwegian? I speak English, French, and Russian, and I'm quite willing to learn Norwegian, but for the first few months, do enough people there speak English? Wikipedia tells me that "The majority of the population are fluent in English, especially those born after World War II." but that seems pretty incredible :o

I'll tell you what your problem will be; Nobody's going to push you to speak Norwegian.
Almost all Norwegians understand English, though not all speak or pronounce it well. And most of us will start replying in English as soon as you open your mouth. I knew a Canadian who lived here for 6 year without managing to utter 1 proper word in Norwegian. When he tried to tell me which street he lived in I had to ask him to text it to me, cause his pronunciation sucked so bad that it came out as garble...

RIP hk33k

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:25 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I agree with Makarov, nobody will push you to learn norwegian so if you want to learn you will have to push yourself since you don't really need to be able to communicate on norwegian. In the schools the kids start learning english at the age of around 7 here so you should have no problems talking to people. But almost all of us pronounce everything in a very strange way, demonstrated here by a comedian making a parody on the explorer Thor Heyerdahl. It's of course a bit exaggerated, but it's not all that uncommon that people sound a bit like this, myself included.. :rofl:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:29 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

DERF26:
I know we are not supposed to post double like this, but I am embarrassed that I forgot to mention the bicycle project of yours so I didn't risk just editing my last post.

The idea of using a bicycle all the way to Norway is pretty epic! I know people have used a bicycle from the south to the north of Norway before, so it is doable. But this is a long country and because of all the mountains it would be very hard to explore large areas here, even if you used a car. But I suggest you try to summon up what you are looking for in the area you want to live, and then we can try to direct you a bit. You could also ask for help on the norwegian forum, but it would be hard to navigate since everything is written in norwegian. But if you write a post I can put it in there for you and give you a link so you can view the answers.

You are concerned about the cost of living, will you get salary from a french company or will you work for a norwegian company?
The laws regarding guns are for the time being not too bad and certainly nothing like the UK, but I have no clue what they are like for those who are not citizens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:13 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Haha - it looks like I'll have to get used to the accent :)

I've actually been hoping to do a long cycle touring trip (1-2 months) for some time now - just wasn't sure where. Now I can combine the trip and my moving, while practicing taking just minimal gear (I know if I take a car I'll just stuff it with useless crap).

I'm going to practice cycling more so that I can get myself fit enough, and then I need to save some money...

I actually work on Elance, and so who I get the money from varies. My main employer has been based in the U.S., but I've had smaller jobs from other countries. The money comes to a French bank account, so I guess I probably have to pay taxes here? It's a little confusing and I'll have to figure this out before I leave, although since I don't earn much money, it's often under the taxable limit anyway.

Thanks for the offer on the Norwegian forum. I'll have to read more about the cities and towns of Norway, their climate, prices to rent, etc. Bergen looks nice :) And I've discovered that finn.no has good listings.

edit: I might also look for a job when I arrive to Norway, although I don't have any clue in what field.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:30 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Unless I am mistaken, I just learned that carrying pepper spray is illegal in Norway. Just like in France :(

What does the government there suggest people defend themselves with?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:23 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

This could easily become a political discussion so we must tread carefully to not violate forum rules. I don't want to start any discussion here, but it should be allowed to inform on the rules as long as we do not talk about how we feel about them?
There is a very weak an nearly useless "pepper-spray" that is allowed. Except that you are supposed to call the police, regardless of situation. You are allowed to use force comparable to the threat but you can not carry arms, knifes, batons or anything considered a weapon. Best bet is to use your brain and avoid situations that can become dangerous. Please do not discuss any further here, if you have any more questions, just pm me. Do not want to disobey any forum rules here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hence why I tried to be as un-opinionated as possible :)

I'll PM you instead - thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:04 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Anyone else from western Norway going to participate in the upcoming winter MBO contest? Would be interested discussing equipment and so on, seems I will get a chance to combine the MBO with deer, roe deer and bird hunting this year so I am pretty excited :D