It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Norway or scandinavia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:08 am 

I placed this thread in Off-Topic Discussion
But this seems like a better place

Looking and searching on the forum i have found that there are som guys inn here from Norway and scandinavia.
I have the feeling that preperdnes is not very commen here, sp it be cool to get in contact with you guys.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 pm 

I live im Sweden. I work in stockholm and can usually be found there during the weeks.

Anyone looking to hook up is free to drop a PM.

ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:
I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:41 pm 

Here's a Scandinavia thread that has lay dormant for a while. In it, you'll find a number of the forum members from that neck of the woods: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=35571

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:59 am 

I think this thread would be better off since it's not aimed at starting a Scandinavian survivalist forum but rather at social interaction.

So has the winter been as bad in all of Scandinavia? What with the freezing and thawing and freezing again, and shit loads of snow.

3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 am 

It hasent been that bad, but as you said we have also had it cold (-20 to -25 ) and then a few days with tempatures just on the + side.
Where I live (Not far from Oslo) we havent had that mutch snow (Yet)

I created this thread to find and get in contact with people from my "neigborhood"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:24 pm 

Southern Finland has had unusual amounts of snow, but nothing especially noteworthy (i.e. nothing we can't tackle within a couple of days at the most). The only really newsworthy event this winter has been a rather long power outage in the interior countryside, but all in all, business as usual. It seems that Finland has the most boring geology and weather in the world; Norway, Sweden and Denmark bear the brunt of any Atlantic storms heading this way, and Russia anything coming in from Siberia, so we are as cosy as it gets here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:49 pm 

I remember last year they said "Oh noes! The "Rysskyla" is coming! Beware!!" then nothing came. A few months later in the burning summer heat (for us anyway) they did the same old thing "Oh noes! The "Ryssvärme" is coming!" and of course nothing came.

This was paired with big pictures that looked like a Russian invasion of the Baltic states and Finland. Big old weather rolling in with angry arrows. Fear mongering meteorologists are the worst.

The freezing and thawing tends to mess up the water pipes though. I no like. I'd rather have a deep even cold throughout the winter months than this crap.

Most inspirational Scandi TV right now, Monsen does 365 days in Nordkalotten. Filming it himself and having fun. We all know we would if we could. I let it whisk me away from the office quite often.

http://www.nrk.no/nordkalotten365/

[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:25 pm 

Yes Monsen is quite a guy, and I think many survivalists could learn a thing or two from him.

I hope I can get a weekend alone inn the forrest this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:23 am 

Saw this the other day, skating in Sandefjord, on very thin ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyUf7r_9yNs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:10 am 

That looks f¤%& cold.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:04 pm 

I've been dreaming about trekking around the three state borderpost (or whatever one should call it in English, the place where Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish borders meet) and also checking out the Sturmbock line in the Hand. Currently I'm stuck in an office job down south, but rarely a day goes by that I don't dream about seeing the rugged lands up north, especially the Arctic Sea coast around Nordkapp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:40 am 

Maybe some day when we aren't all busy we can get a Scandinavian expeditionary force going and scout the "Treriksrös"? :twisted:

Anyone on here work at the military archives [Sweden]? I need someone to go to a certain office and put a boot up someones ass for slacking off. :x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:53 am 

Sealegs, yes I get back to you in about 30 years when I retire :(

What has the Army done to you now?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:08 am 

Not much, which is the problem! I've ordered some specifications from the archives but they are having an extended coffee break that's been going on for a couple of days now. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:28 am 

You can expect it to go that fast, when it has been a couple of monthes then you can start getting annoyed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:38 am 

Usually they do it pretty quickly. Maybe I'm just one of those people who charm them with my phone voice. :P

I'm thinking they have slow going since I requested some crap from the 1840's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:40 am 

Hey, I'd love to see the "Treriksröse"! You'd recognize me - I'll be rocking a Bergans baby carrying system... :twisted:

Anywhooo, it seems that Scandinavia have yet to reach critical mass in the population interested in zombie survival (I bet those number will fix themselves when the dead rise to consume the living :twisted: ). I've seen a few tries, which sadly never amounted to anything. Too few, too far between, and the fact that a lot of horror survival freaks are a bit crazy. :lol:

And we do tend to be sort of loners, who are perfectly happy typing away on an internet forum, but put on a tin foil hat the moment something has to be done irl...

There even was an attempt at one point of starting a ZS Scandinavian chapter. But that required that we have some type of event for charity. Hard to pull off, if you can't even manage to meet up for a couple of beers... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:52 am 

I blame our crappy infrastructure. It takes for-bloody-ever to get anywhere in these countries, add to that the busy schedules of people and you have an effective first line defense against any uprisings of Zombie survivors. :P

I mean srsly, getting down to Göteborg takes about 40min by car, but if you want a beer you'll have to go by train (which are often cancelled due to rebuilding of the lines) and then you're stuck with the bus that takes almost 2hrs, is just as expensive and has a freaky schedule that will cut any night out short by a fair bit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 am 

Head Zombie : I am going to take a risk of writing in Norwegian since this thread is for scandinavians, if that is against the policy just let me know.

Sverige har hvertfall en del som er interresert i surviving og prepping, i Norge så skal du lete lenge mellom hver person som har noe fokus på dette i det hele tatt.
Så da er det ikke enkelt å treffe noen, å enten gå på tur eller drikke med.

Presentasjon:
Jeg er 36 år fra litt utafor Oslo, bor der i eget hus med Kona og to sønner. Jobber til vanlig innen IT
Er newbe til hele prepper / Zombie opplegget, men begynner å få fokus og se nytten av å være forberedt.
Har begynnt med de små enkle tingene nærmest hverdagen, forberede for brann, strømbrudd, bil problemer o.l
Kona er ikke like engasjert, så vi får se hvordan vi gjør det når vi skal begynne å få opp et matlager etter hvert.
Jeg driver med Praktisk skyting eller dynamisk skytte som dere svensker kaller det.
Tjeneste gjør i Heimevernets innsatsstyrke

Det er meg grovt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:37 am 

Sen när är fruar någonsin intresserade av förberedelser av annat slag än IKEA resor? :lol:

The closest I can think of for preppers are the Kärngårdar associations. http://www.karngardar.se/

Last time I thought I found a prepper it turned out he was only interested in collecting expensive folding knives. :roll: Not that there is intrinsically anything wrong with that. I'll just go close this door over here where I keep all of MY folding knives..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:58 am 

I won't try writing in Swedish, though I understand it somewhat; I can't construct a sensible sentence in it, despite the hard efforts of my teachers (collectively called "Frau Kommandanten" by me) back in my schooldays. But us Finns tend to consider ourselves Scandinavian (well, Nordic anyway), despite the language...

In Finland, there was a government official that said something to the effect that everyone should have at least a week's worth of supplies in case the water supply is contaminated or there's a breakdown in the transportation infrastructure. This was around the time we had two major strikes that threatened the food supply network, causing some stores to run out of certain food items (mainly because of hoarders, though); shortly previously, there had been an event that had contaminated the water supply in one town, because the system was designed by blind monkeys that allowed it to have a valve that connected to the sewage system (don't ask me how this is even possible, no one seemed to know why the valve was there in the first place), which some brainiac then flipped; it took them weeks to sort it out completely, and several days before they managed to get tanker trucks there to supply the people with clean water.

So, while I'm mainly an outdoorsman type, I have become interested in prepping as well and do it to the extent my conditions allow; given that I live in a smallish apartment, storage space is a huge problem, but thanks to a girlfriend who's interested in it as well and doesn't mind the clutter, I have managed to set up some stores, both in equipment and food items for about two week bug-in; water is difficult, though, as it takes so much space; I've yet to figure out how to maintain decent supply of that in case the supply goes down.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 am 

We had one of those sewage water incidents just now! Caused crypto sporidium or giardia, can't remember which, to spread like wildfire and give a fair number of people the jalla.

I think it's really interesting that the word "Scandinavia", used in Scandinavian countries, do not include Finland, which always surprises everyone living in Scandinavia anf Finland. Heck, it doesn't even include Iceland or the Faroes! Though, in English use it does include all of these and Greenland. Should off be the other way around.

The preparation mindset in Sweden is a dismal topic. Everyone still acts like we have the big "mass army" civil defense store rooms around to save our bacon if it goes south. Those were dismantled back in the 80's though. So no luck there.

How's the surplus market in Finland btw? Any good shops with online sales? [addicted to surplus mtrl.]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:53 pm 

The Finnish surplus market is a bit strange, because the Finnish Army never seems to get rid of anything they can use, so Finnish surplus is actually a bit hard to find, so we tend to see more European and even Swedish surplus than Finnish. The big problem is of course that the stores that have Finnish items available tend to be rather small and rarely have any online presence.

But there's one really excellent surplus store, Varusteleka, which is where I get essentially all my surplus. They have great service and their item descriptions are hilarious; the English descriptions are more serious, but still occasionally quite funny; a surplus store with a sense of humour, what else you need :lol:

Then there's Savenmaa, which sells surplus among other things; there you can get some rather strange items, such surplus generators or vehicles like Bangwagen bv 206 (at least one for sale). Their pages are in Finnish only, and they probably don't deliver abroad, though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:23 pm 

I really liked Varusteleka! The description of th AF overcoat was priceless. "once upon a time they actually had to step out from the cafeteria," :lol:

And the army flip flops, I'm getting a pair of those. All we got was träskor!

I think I'll give Savenmaa a call and argue that Sweden isn't technically another country, what with the EU an all. :P