COZS Food Drive

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Re: COZS Food Drive

Post by Impus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:49 pm

Firestorm, The artwork is finalized, and we have approval from both the venue and the charity. I've sent you an e-mail at 10:55 AM on Monday the 12th. We'll see if it gets through. If not, we'll need to make other arrangements for you to get the finished files. ...Aw, hell. I just checked the address I have for you, and it was off by one letter. Technical difficulties, please stand by....

OK, re-sent at 11:03 AM. :oops:

Update: The charity has been switched from Food Bank Of The Rockies to Care And Share Food Bank at the request of both food banks. Evidently FBOTR handles North, and CASFB handles South. We'll be working with FBOTR for our Denver event.

Leia, Chris, Impulse, Sandman, We're the COSP area folks who have sounded off on this one, we'll see who else decides to kick in down here. The next thing we need to do is get the posters up in local businesses, and flyers out everywhere we can. Impulse, will you handle CC? Sandman, UCCS? I'll take Manitou and OCC, Leia, Chris, are there neighborhoods you're comfortable with? Our focus will be Indy book and music stores, gaming stores, gun, knife, gear, supply places and anywhere you think we might hit some like-minded folk without asking a business owner to advertise for their competition. We also still need to come up with 40 folding chairs.

I met with Sandman this past Saturday, and he and his girlfriend thought it would be a neat idea to get zombied out to hand out flyers. Perhaps this is how we could do Downtown? Each of us can take a neighborhood to canvas as we see fit, and we'll make Downtown a group "Zombie Crawl" effort sometime the second week of February. Sandman, you want to sound off on this?

Squirrelly, Dirtnapper, Madwolf, I want you to stick your thumbs up your asses and sit tight for a bit. If you decide you want to drive 90-120 miles South to help hand out flyers, great! But if you just show up at the event, I think you'll be doing enough. On second thought, there are a couple of things you can do:

1. Find me some chairs.
2. Coordinate with each other re; rides down. Figure Jvan and some other folks are also going to want to come.
3. Get together and watch REC. Make sure the copy is good. Make a backup.
4. Get together and watch NOTLD. Bring a backup in case mine fails.
5. Help Rowan find us a Denver venue for the next event. Down this way, the Bristol Brewing Company has already asked us to come in, and I suspect that Meadowmuffins will be happy to have us fill their floors again. But we want to start establishing our presence in Denver, so let's find a funky venue up thatta-ways!

Anyone else, North or South, who wants to help out or has any ideas, post 'er here! Oh, and just 'cause someone might like to see it, here's the letter from Suzanne at the food bank:

Hi Imp,

I apologize for the delay in response, but our computers and server has
been down during our move. First of all, thank you so much for your
support of Care and Share Food Bank. The poster looks fantastic and your
Zombie Movie Night sounds great!

At this point, you don't need to fill out any paperwork; I would just
ask that we could see any press releases that include Care and Share
information before you send them out. We just like to make sure we can
tell our donors and media contacts what's going on if they call us with
questions.

Thanks again for your support! Could we include this information in our
monthly e-newsletter? It should go out at the beginning of February.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any additional
information. With our computers the way they are right now, it might be
best to reach me on my cell phone (see below). Thanks!

Suzanne Lee
Communications and Marketing Director
Care and Share Food Bank for Southern Colorado
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

LtCmdLeia
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LtCmdLeia » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:06 pm

I'm sorry, there's no way I can help with getting flyers out. I'd have to drag all the way to town with at least the 3 youngest and quickly jumping in and out of the monster burb for flyer drop off with them would be a nightmare :(
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" ... Senator Padmé Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith

ImageImageImage

Impus

Post by Impus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Leia: NP, I'll shanghai some folks to handle it.

Oni
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake) , Day of the Dead. Day Breakers. Avatar. Blackhawk Down.

Post by Oni » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm down to help however I can. Won't arrive in the US till the 6th of Feb but i'll deffinetly contribute. Meadow Muffin is just plain awesome in my opion. My wife used to work down the road and i'd go have lunch with her when I had the chance. Ate free a lot of the time because of the caliber of people who worked there and who ate there (I was usually in uniform).

off topic but. I've always wanted to do a 50 person zombie crawl on Tejon during halloween. Just to see people's reaction to a horde.

What should you do? You should look the world in the face and spit in it's eye. Die with your finger on the trigger and a curse on your lips. Realize your damned but try anyways.

"Stack on me"

Impus

Post by Impus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:23 pm

Oni: Shanghaied

Impus

Post by Impus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:01 pm

I've got a pile of posters than need posted, folks! Start letting me know when you have a minute to pick these up and what neighborhoods you want to cover.

Sandman: where do we stand on makeup for a zombie walk? What would be a good date in early-mid Feb?

Paladyne
Favorite Zombie Movies: "XXX of the Dead" George Romero movies
Dawn of the Dead 2004 Remake
28 Days/Weeks later
Resident Evil Series

Post by Paladyne » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:31 am

I can easily hand out and/or post flyers in the downtown denver area. Any funky legal restrictions I should be aware of regarding that, BTW?

I'd also be game to get all zombified, if someone with makeup expertise wants to help. :D

congochris

Post by congochris » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:14 am

Aww, son of a..... I just realized I forgot to bring any of the posters to work again. I even have tentative approval from HR to post it in the break room. She just wants to see it first.

Oh well, I'll try some other random places this weekend if the weather doesn't turn to complete snot.

Impus

Post by Impus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 am

Paladyne: There's prolly not a lot of point in trying to get Denverites to come to COSP for a movie, but thank you. When we start advertising the Denver Movie Night, you can post posters and fly flyers to your heart's content!

Chris: You might think about hitting the shops near Tinseltown. There's a fair bit of traffic, and people shopping there may have movies in mind.

firestorm

Post by firestorm » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:37 am

We can print additional poster at lunch on Sat if we need too.

Impus

Post by Impus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:53 pm

Firestorm, if you can print them, I can get them distributed.

firestorm

Post by firestorm » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:56 pm

I will print them and mail it with your CPR and FA cert. How many do you need?

Impus

Post by Impus » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:58 pm

Firestorm: Hmnn... a dozen for Manitou Springs, a dozen for Old Colorado City, A dozen for Colorado College, A dozen for downtown, A dozen for UCCS, and 40-50 for our Zombie Crawl downtown. that's about a hundred and ten. Throw a bunch extra on that, and I can hand them out as I run errands about town.

Poorimpulsecontrol: I want to do a dry run of the films and also check out the technical details of the venue with you. Give me a day/time that'll work for you.

congochris

Post by congochris » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:30 am

I now have the large version up on the employee bulletin board at work, and a small version at my desk. I've been approached by at least 4 people who are hoping to attend, and one who wanted a copy of the flyer for her boyfriend because she'd be out of town. And since he works as a bartender, (and she hangs out there after work and knows the owners) she's going to try to post it at the bar. Can't recall which one, though.

Impus

Post by Impus » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:16 pm

Chris, did I leave a copy of the disk with the artwork at your place? If not, let me know and I will so you can print as many as you want. I've got posters with my Manitou Springs friend, and am supposed to meet Poorimpulsecontrol tonight to give him some.

Sandman and I had spoken about doing a Zombie Crawl this Sunday, but I'm not hearing a lot of feedback so I'm suggesting we postpone for a week.

The event and poster have been submitted to the CS Indy. The myspace URL for the COZS myspace page is http://www.myspace.com/443828358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you guys want to start friending. And Psych0chick, could we maybe get a cooler URL than a string of numbers?

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:46 pm

ATTN COLORADO SPRINGS ZS CREW

Okay gang, Impuse and I are planning on doing a "zombie crawl" downtown in the springs on February 7th.

We have a makeup artist who is on-board for zombifying anyone who can help us via participation and handing out fliers. if you would be willing and able to meet up with us, get some makeup thrown on and help us handout fliers for the food drive on Feb. 7th please respond here. We are currently planning on afternoon for the time to do this, night time would be bad given how many people go downtown to party and the considerable police presence, we would not want local law enforcement or emergency services to see one of us in bloody makeup and think we were an injured citizen.

So, please let us know here if you are available Saturday the 7th, afternoon time, zombie makeup and fake blood to accompany handing out fliers around local establishments. This "zombie crawl" is a precursor event to get word to the public about the food drive, so the more people we have participating means the more likely we will get considerable food donations!

congochris

Post by congochris » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Sounds like a plan to me. My daughter is a tentative yes.. she keeps changing her mind.

So any idea where we can park that we won't have to keep feeding the meters?

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:29 pm

We may be able to swing parking int he Arby's lot off of Nevada and Platte, I know there arent any meters there and no signs saying we can't.

congochris

Post by congochris » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:13 pm

Correction, kid won't be there, she has a birthday party to attend...

Impus

Post by Impus » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:58 pm

Two days to go, who's in?

carlomarx
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead

Post by carlomarx » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:16 pm

I have talked the wife into going (It's not too difficult-- she's up for anything), so I think it'd be fun for the two of us to head up (from Canon), meet with everyone and do the Zombie walk/crawl downtown before the food drive/movie.

Final Times? Locations? Parking? Should we bring non-perishables?

Thanks, can't wait to meet up!
If my decomposing carcass helps nourish the roots of a juniper tree or the wings of a vulture--that is immortality enough for me. And as much as anyone deserves. --Edward Abbey

congochris

Post by congochris » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 pm

If this cold gets no better, I may only make a brief cameo. as it is, I don't think it'd take much makeup to make me look like a zombie. This morning after going to work, my coworkers launched a cmpaign to repel the plaguebearer. So I gave in and am now working from home on the wife's lapop snuggled down in bed...

Impus

Post by Impus » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Let's figure on parking wherever we can and meeting Between 1:00 and 2:00 at Old Chicago's:

118 N Tejon St # 2
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
(719) 634-8812

Since people may not know each other, I'll be the rally point. Look for wolverine with a ponytail in a ZS t-shirt. We'll meet, maybe have a slice or a beer and then at 2:00 we'll wander over to Zeezo's:

3 E Bijou St
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
(719) 633-2571

And get gussied up. Everyone remember to wear clothes which can be torn, bloodied, and otherwise messed up. Something warm underneath might be good, it's supposed to be 54F and partly cloudy. A change of clothes in the car is also a good idea.

At 2:30, we'll shamble South down Cascade to Pike's Peak, turn East, then go North up Tejon to Boulder. At this point, we'll decide whether we should go all the way to Cache la Poudre, East again to Nevada, South to Bijou, and back to Zeezo's for debriefing (cleaning up) or just turn East and circle down Nevada to Bijou.

The Sun sets at 5:27, so we'll finish up by then and go have a beer someplace where they won't shoot us in the head.

Edit to add: Carlomarx, not sure if we're clear. The Saturday event is a crawl to distribute flyers. The movie night is on the 24th, and what we're advertising. Hope you and the Mrs. can make both!

carlomarx
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead

Post by carlomarx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks for the clarification... I was unsure what the plan was, but we're up for anything. Beers anywhere is a good idea.

I'll make sure the baby factory (wife) has comfy shoes. I've never seen a pregnant zombie before, but I guess I will tomorrow!
If my decomposing carcass helps nourish the roots of a juniper tree or the wings of a vulture--that is immortality enough for me. And as much as anyone deserves. --Edward Abbey

Return to “Meeting room”